The simFlight Network Forums

Generic axes

I’m running on some home build hardware with numerous buttons, encoders and pot meters and it all works like a charm.

Now i’ve come program 3 axis and what I hope to achieve is to add either two macro values or two key presses, one for each directions of turn. Ive tested this with one direction and with a prober set Delta i’m surprised how well it works.

But the question is if it is possible to create a generic axis with this to values assigned to each direction of movement.

I can see from the standard options that ex. Xpdr_set can be used in this way but i’m unable to figure if this can be done for custom assignments.

I have looked at the SDK in the event that a subroutine must be made but I must admit that i’m not that good with C sharp nor ++.

Alternately ill use rotary encoders but since the function is a limited turn, a pot would by far be the best solution.

• 2 weeks later...
Now i’ve come program 3 axis and what I hope to achieve is to add either two macro values or two key presses, one for each directions of turn. Ive tested this with one direction and with a prober set Delta i’m surprised how well it works.

Before we go any further, could you please expand on this a little, as I've really not much idea of what you are talking about? Do you mean by "3 axis" the aileron, elevator and rudder? And if so, why are you wanting to do this as if you are flying with a keyboard, which of course most certainly does use increments and decrements.

But the question is if it is possible to create a generic axis with this to values assigned to each direction of movement.

I can see from the standard options that ex. Xpdr_set can be used in this way but i’m unable to figure if this can be done for custom assignments.

Again I am afraid I fail to understand you. Sorry. "a generic axis with this to values assigned .."? I'm lost in your phrasing here. Can you possibly be specific, and then it might all become clear?

Alternately ill use rotary encoders but since the function is a limited turn, a pot would by far be the best solution.

If you are using a pot, why isn't this an axis already? Why use increments and decrements?

Regards

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete.

Sorry for the bad phrasing im not all that technical when i dont have a soldering iron. ill try to explain better ;)

To be specific it is for use betwen my homebuild flight console and maddog 2006 MD82 so hardware only and no keyborad at all..

the thought is to use axis (like rudder or aileron) on a aircraft specific function. in this case it is an light increase/decrease on the eicas display to be controled by a hardware axis.

So basicly id like to build an light control panel on the hardware with 3 (the number doesnt matter hehe) pot's and afterwards bind them to the software.

Though the logic for the aircraft does not handle the light knob as an axis as it does with throotle or rudder (i think?) but as a selctor with either value A or B for up and down.

So the thought is: left turn on the hardware pot ( + value towards - value) could be representet by one action/macro and again - towards + another value/macro.

Basicly this would work like my encoders (left tick value A/macro, Right tick value B/macro) but rendered by the output value defined of travel direction.

I hope it makes a little sense else ill make a drawing :)

And while im at it thanks for a great and indispensable product.

Best Regards,

Martin

So the thought is: left turn on the hardware pot ( + value towards - value) could be representet by one action/macro and again - towards + another value/macro.

Basicly this would work like my encoders (left tick value A/macro, Right tick value B/macro) but rendered by the output value defined of travel direction.

So, what is the question? You've not posed one.

If you are simply putting forward an idea, then I think it probably belongs in the cockpit builders forum. If, on the other hand, you want to know if it is supported in FSUIPC, the answer is yes, of course, look at the right-hand side of the Axis Assignments tab, and read the example in the dox of a gear axis driving the Gear Up and Gear Down controls. In your case you'd need several zones of "Incs" going one way and "Decs" going the other, but the principle is the same.

it isn't like rotary encoders because the latter have no predefined positions and. more importantly, no limits, so they can keep incrementing one way and decrementing the other. With an axis you have to determine the number of discrete steps you need to support and calibrate it for those.

Regards

Pete