The simFlight Network Forums

Message Line

Hi,

I cannot disable the scrolling text message line using a registered FSUIPC in FSX. No matter which option on the main page is selected, the text line still appears. My FS9 version has, and always has, worked fine to eliminate these messages but the FSX version 4 has never worked. Please, any ideas would be appreciated.

Dolph

Hi,

I cannot disable the scrolling text message line using a registered FSUIPC in FSX. No matter which option on the main page is selected, the text line still appears. My FS9 version has, and always has, worked fine to eliminate these messages but the FSX version 4 has never worked. Please, any ideas would be appreciated.

FSUIPC4 can only eliminate messages sent through FSUIPC4. It has no control over FSX's own messages, nor over other programs using SimConnect directly. Are these messages you are trying to eliminate emanating from FSUIPC applications?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

None of the scrolling messages are suppressed in FSX - for instance, the ATIS message appears no matter which option is selected, as do the weather updates from Active Sky X.

The ATIS message is from FSX, it isn't via FSUIPC. And ActiveSkyX uses SimConnect directly, not FSUIPC. As I said, clearly, FSUIPC4 can only handle messages sent through its own interface. It cannot intervene in FSX internals because it is just another SimConnect cluent.

In FS9, FSUIPC does eliminate the scrolling ATIS messages where FSX version does not.

Yes, in FS9 and before FSUIPC was hacked into FS 100% That al ends with FSX, where Microsoft have at last taken the responsibility to provide a third party application interface ("SimConnect"). FSUIPC4 is really a compatibility layer, mapping older FSUIPC applications to SimConnect. I'd expect all new applications to interface to SimConnect directly (as do ActiveSkyX and Squawkbox4 among many).

That's what I mean. Is this normal? From what you stated, it IS normal

For FSX, yes, as I said. Sorry.

... and I'm stuck with scrolling messages. Is there a way to turn them off to your knowledge?

ATIS is turned off by Options-Settings-General, unchecking "Show message log in ATC menu".

Programs like ActiveSkyX should have appropriate options (I've not checked)?

Interesting that this question hasn't arisen before (over two years into FSX). I might have sent some time hacking into that part of FSX if it looked important enough, but evidently it wasn;t -- at least not compared to all the things I have been asked to sort out.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the "Show message log in ATC menu" setting, it does work to turn off the scrolling ATIS but also removes the history of what was said over the radio, which I also like. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything. Thanks for the reply, Pete.

Dolph