The simFlight Network Forums

No FS UNC PATH in FSUIPC

Hi Pete,

I am trying to read the declared UNC FS path over on my wide-client PC as recorded from with FSUIPC. My WideFS PC (FSXsp2) installation is D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\. I have managed to run FSInterrogate2 on the wide-client and it confirms that only the non-UNC install path is recorded at offset 3E00. According to the variables doc, if my FSX pc is networked such as it is, 3E00 should note the full UNC path of the FS Installation. The entire partition/drive (D:) containing the FSXsp2 installation is shared out across the network without any issues noted. Is there something I'm missing trying to get the full UNC FSX Install path? I also see that the local path is only recorded in the FSUIPC.log but when searching back through this forum, I see other's have the full UNC path.

Thanks for any thoughts you my have on the subject,

Al

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.321 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
User Name="xxxxxxx"
User Addr="xxxxxxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WideFS7 Key is provided
Running inside FSX (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Module base=61000000
Wind smoothing fix is fully installed
DebugStatus=255
       16 System time = 17:09:57
       16 FLT UNC path = "C:\Documents and Settings\jordana\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"
       16 FS UNC path = "D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

According to the variables doc, if my FSX pc is networked such as it is, 3E00 should note the full UNC path of the FS Installation. The entire partition/drive (D:) containing the FSXsp2 installation is shared out across the network without any issues noted. Is there something I'm missing trying to get the full UNC FSX Install path? I also see that the local path is only recorded in the FSUIPC.log but when searching back through this forum, I see other's have the full UNC path.

The only time i've seen that is when the path isn't shared at all. FSUIPC looks up the shared paths lists in the registry and runs a comparison against the path it needs to find the longest match, then uses that. So, for instance, if you shared the FSX path itself with the share name "FSX", then the UNC path would be \\\FSX.

The registry entries containing the share paths are found in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares

For each shared path or drive, the shared name will be a parameter key, and the data will contain a part called "Path=..." which is the one I will be attempting to match.

Check this with Regedit. If you think it looks right, and FSUIPC4 is getting it wrong, I would need to see the whole section. Either export it and ZIP the exported file, or take a screenshot (provided all the shares and all the Path= parts are showing). The exported file might be best. If its too big to past as text here, ZIP and send to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Alternatively, try sharing the folder as, say, FSX. You'll find using short specific share names far more convenient. Same for the My Documents FSX files folder. I always share-name that "FSPLANS" in any case, as Project Magenta needs it so.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, changing the share to a more specific path does indeed solve the issue. I changed the share from the entire drive (D:\) to the specific FSX path and called the share FSX. It now shows up as a proper UNC path in both FSInerrogate2 on the wide-client and the FSUIPC.log locally. The lanmanservers entries in the registry were correct, but there was no full FSX path to match since I was sharing entire drives.

Much appreciated. :D

Regards,

Al

The lanmanservers entries in the registry were correct, but there was no full FSX path to match since I was sharing entire drives.

Hmmm. i'll have to check that. My algorithm should still be able to match it.

[LATER]

Found it! It's a very very (very) long-standing bug. All versions of FSUIPC4, in fact. I'll fix it in FSUIPC4 in the next increment uploads. Good catchthanks! (Just shows, not many folks share by drive instead of path).

It doesn't apply to FSUIPC3 -- in that it simply uses the first PATH it can find which fits. So if the Drive is listed first, it uses that and doesn't search for a folder match at all. But I improved it for FSUIPC4 by making it search them all and choosing the one which made the UNC path the shortest (and hopefully thereby the neatest).

Unfortunately, in the process, I messed up the drive-only matching case.

Regards

Pete