The simFlight Network Forums

Visibility settings

:?:

Hello,

I have been experimenting with the visibility settings as described in the user manual for FSUIP v.3.01 and FS2004 but it seems that the module and the game do not "agree"?!

Example: If I set surface visibility at 20 miles for all types of weather, the module will apply this setting in the games weather dialog window for all altiltudes. Note: I also have the upper/lower altitudes set at 0/40000 with the "override" box in the module unchecked.

What I have been trying to achieve through experimentation is to get something similar that was achievable in FS2002; Gradual visibility with altitude (a surface visibility of 20 miles with a separate gradual maximum visibility at cruise altitude). The best visibility setting so far for me has been to apply 30 miles visibility from 0 to 40000 feet within the games weather setting only.

I have also noticed that some times, the hazy horizon appears and some times not, without changing any settings.

Please advise.

Regards,

Stefan

I have been experimenting with the visibility settings as described in the user manual for FSUIP v.3.01 and FS2004 but it seems that the module and the game do not "agree"?!

Example: If I set surface visibility at 20 miles for all types of weather, the module will apply this setting in the games weather dialog window for all altiltudes. Note: I also have the upper/lower altitudes set at 0/40000 with the "override" box in the module unchecked.

Sorry, I don't understand where the discrepancy comes in. Where are you setting the surface visibility, and how does FSUIPC come into it? Where are you setting these "upper and lower altitudes"? Is this all in WeatherSet or WeatherSet2?

What I have been trying to achieve through experimentation is to get something similar that was achievable in FS2002; Gradual visibility with altitude (a surface visibility of 20 miles with a separate gradual maximum visibility at cruise altitude).

You really would miss some of the best improvements in FS2004 if you achieved this. The experience of ascending above a low level murk into clear visibility yet still see the ground below only through the murk is much more realistic to me. This is why I didn't do all the work needed for the old FSUIPC graduated visibility, it just seemed a total waste of time and to spoil the god new effects in FS2004.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I guess it is just me, not yet used to the new improvements of FS2004.

For your question as to where I am doing my settings. The upper and lower altitudes I set from the top menu: World/weather/select: user defined weather/customize weather/advanced weather/visibility.

The surface visibility I set from within FSUIPC. (2000 in all boxes)

Maybe, perhaps one day in the future you could consider adding "gradual visibility" again as an option? Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Stefan

For your question as to where I am doing my settings. The upper and lower altitudes I set from the top menu: World/weather/select: user defined weather/customize weather/advanced weather/visibility.

Have you cleared the weather first, and elected to set this to all stations? Have you turned dynamic weather changes off?

FS2004, unlike previous versions, is actually running in what I used to call "local weather mode" all the time. My so-called "global weather" is merely the default weather which is applied to any station which doesn't have its own weather already. FSUIPC's weather settings are constrained to affecting just that global "fill-in" weather, it won't operate on local weather stations -- except those set by external programs using the New Weather Interface in FSUIPC 3.

Maybe, perhaps one day in the future you could consider adding "gradual visibility" again as an option? Just a suggestion.

At present I really don't see it as likely. I can only deal with global (i.e whole world) weather in any case, and as I say, the visibility system is now so good it really makes things worse to impose anything like that, not better. The main reason for its introduction on FS2000 was to help with frame rates -- the lower the visibility nearer the ground, the better the frame rates despite the increasing complexity of ground imaging. I don't think this is a consideration in FS2004.

Discarding FS2004's beautifully done realistic local weather simulations, which give nice effects of weather different in the distance, changing smoothly as you fly, and substituting something not much better (except for cloud graphics) than FS2000 or FS2002 seems a real waste to me. Why not stick to FS2002 then? The weather engine in FS2004 is easily the best improvement in the whole sim (IMHO).

Try some of the weather themes. Try downloading the FS real weather. Try, when they appear, the new weather programs which will make use of the New Weather Interface in FSUIPC 3 to set *local * weather. After a few weeks I'm sure you'll agree. If not, get back to me.

Regards,

Pete