The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 - Rudder Pedals Backwords (Reversed)

Hi again Pete;

I wanted to bring your attention to a little something I noticed the other day before you release your next final version of FSUIPC4. For the longest time, on both FSUIPC3/FS9 and FSUIPC4/FSXsp2, I have used the "Rev" checkbox to get my rudder on many different aircraft to agree with the physical actions on my CH Pedals. Using the reverse checkbox in FSUIPC calibration, it allows me to push my right foot forward (away from me) on the pedals and the steering on a given aircraft turns left as well as the rudder vane. Same thing in reverse, left foot foward (away from me) steers/yaws the plane to the right. The FSUIPC rev checkbox makes this work fine and dandy. No axis assigned in the FSX controls either.

Then how come the rudder pedals as viewed from within any Virtual Cockpit don't move in the same direction when using this reverse checkbox? With the above description being true, I move my right foot forward for example, the right rudder pedal in a VC moves closer to me, not away. Is it just a VC graphics thing that the "rev" checkbox does not act upon?

Just one of those silly things that made me go, huh?

Best regards,

Al

For the longest time, on both FSUIPC3/FS9 and FSUIPC4/FSXsp2, I have used the "Rev" checkbox to get my rudder on many different aircraft to agree with the physical actions on my CH Pedals. Using the reverse checkbox in FSUIPC calibration, it allows me to push my right foot forward (away from me) on the pedals and the steering on a given aircraft turns left as well as the rudder vane.

Well, that's plain wrong. Why would you want the rudder reversed compared to the way it is in a real aircraft?

Then how come the rudder pedals as viewed from within any Virtual Cockpit don't move in the same direction when using this reverse checkbox? With the above description being true, I move my right foot forward for example, the right rudder pedal in a VC moves closer to me, not away. Is it just a VC graphics thing that the "rev" checkbox does not act upon?

Sorry, I've no idea. I've never used a VC. You need to ask an aircraft designer.

Regards

Pete

For the longest time, on both FSUIPC3/FS9 and FSUIPC4/FSXsp2, I have used the "Rev" checkbox to get my rudder on many different aircraft to agree with the physical actions on my CH Pedals. Using the reverse checkbox in FSUIPC calibration, it allows me to push my right foot forward (away from me) on the pedals and the steering on a given aircraft turns left as well as the rudder vane.

Well, that's plain wrong. Why would you want the rudder reversed compared to the way it is in a real aircraft?

Wait a minute, are you saying that if I push the right rudder pedal forward (away from me) on a real aircraft, it is supposed to steer/yaw the nose the right as viewed from within the cockpit? After all these years of flightsiming I still wouldn't know because I've never operated a real aircraft to any extent.

Regards,

Al

Wait a minute, are you saying that if I push the right rudder pedal forward (away from me) on a real aircraft, it is supposed to steer/yaw the nose the right as viewed from within the cockpit?

Yes, certainly.

Oh, I see now. ;-) The graphics in the VC are operating correctly, but you expected to see them reversed as you have set your pedals!

Incidentally, the facility to reverse an axis is present in the FS axis assignments dialogue as well. It isn't just the preserve of FSUIPC. It is normally of main use for things like spoilers/speed brakes, and flaps, where the lever is pulled towards you for the higher/active values rather than away, as for throttles, propeller pitch and mixture.

Regards

Pete