The simFlight Network Forums

PFC using FSX Problem

Hi Pete ...

Just wondering if you might be able to shed any light on this one ....

I purchased a Precision Flight Controls C2 console approximately 18 months ago ....

Recently upgraded the computer system in order to move directly over to FSX using the Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium platform ...

The main elements of software used are as follows:-

FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 installed

Squawkbox 4

Flight Sim Commander ( Moving map utility)

Go Flight Modules

and a few addons for FSX

In order to get Squawkbox 4 to work correctly everything needs to be run in Adminstrator Modewhich I have set it to and everything works fine ....

However .... what I am finding is that the PFC Driver when it goes through the check list it gives me two green ticks to let me know that FSUIPC and the COM port is okbut when it checks everything else I get a list of red crosses .......

For your information I have had the C2 working on this PC

I would really appreciate any ideas on what I can try to sort this problem

Kind regards

Paul

In order to get Squawkbox 4 to work correctly everything needs to be run in Adminstrator Mode

Ugh! That is really bad. Is this, perhaps, because you let FSX install into its horrible default place? Under Vista all of the Program Files folders are protected against writing even by the programs which read from them. The FSUIPC4 installer overcomes this by changing the access permissions on the FSX Modules folder. Maybe SB4 (still in Beta I believe?) should be doing something similar? You should write to the authors.

However .... what I am finding is that the PFC Driver when it goes through the check list it gives me two green ticks to let me know that FSUIPC and the COM port is okbut when it checks everything else I get a list of red crosses .......

Are you sure the COM port is the correct one? Just because it can open the port you've given it doesn't mean it is the one to which the device is connected.

For your information I have had the C2 working on this PC

Yes, but port numbers won't necessarily be the same with a new operating system. In fact I've found that Vista often renumbers USB COM ports at the drop of a hat -- usually when something else is changed. I had that recently when I simply removed a sound card, which has no ports at all.

That's the most likely problem. You could tell the PFC driver to abort the checks and carry on in any case, and then go to its Flight Controls and Test tabs to see if anything gives any response at all. If not it has to be either wrong COM port or driver (USB/Serial driver, perhaps, not Vista compatible?), or hardware.

There is nothing Vista / XP dependent in either FSUIPC or PFCFSX.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the quick response ....

The com port is the correct one because as I said I have had the PFC / C2 working under Vista on that actual port ...... because I started having problems with Squawkbox losing the connection to FSX and a data bridge problem with the Go Flight controls I decided to scrape/reformat Vista off the machine and start again ...

The only difference this time around is that everything is set to run in adminstrator mode .... I was just thinking that because it's set to do that it might be conflicting with FSUPIC and the PFC driver ..

I did carry on into FSX after it did the intial checks ...but .. alasnone of the control surfaces will move/calibrate in the test section ..

Nightmare eh!

Paul (Trying to keep my chin up) :D

The com port is the correct one because as I said I have had the PFC / C2 working under Vista on that actual port ...... because I started having problems with Squawkbox losing the connection to FSX and a data bridge problem with the Go Flight controls I decided to scrape/reformat Vista off the machine and start again ...

Yes, and in the process the COM port number may have changed.

The only difference this time around is that everything is set to run in adminstrator mode .... I was just thinking that because it's set to do that it might be conflicting with FSUPIC and the PFC driver ..

I don't know of any problem with Vista privilege levels as far as any modules internal to FSX are concerned. The PFC driver is acting simply as an extension to FSUIPC. In fact all of its operations with SimConnect are conducted via FSUIPC4.

I suppose there is a remote possibility that your COM port driver won't work in Administrator modes, but that seems so unlikely. Or possibly the COMMs operations run in normal mode in any case and suffer from the inability to share memory with an Administator privileged level. If this is the cae you have no solution but to run FSX normally.

Come to think of it, as a test, why not simply try running FSX, without SB4, in normal user mode? If that works then you know you have to get the SB4 folks to sort their problems with Vista out, pronto. they should be, in any case.

Either that, or maybe you'd need to re-install FSX someplace else than that dreadfully long-winded and now over-protected Program Files place!

Nightmare eh!

That's a problem using beta software -- you act as one of the guinea pigs. If I were you I'd certainly be making sure SB4 folks know that it isn't a good idea to force FSX users into Administrator mode. It should never be needed except possibly for installation (where it is usually automatic in any case). It will certainly clobber all other local FSUIPC clients unless you also run those in that mode too, as it blocks off the memory sharing needed.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete

Okwe have managed to solve the problem .... in the end it was a case of the other end of the Com Port not connected onto the motherboard correctlyso now all is well :D :D

But I would just like to sayThank you very much indeed for such a prompt and detailed replyI was most impressed !! :D

Not sure if you are coming along to the Flight Sim Show in Birmingham on November 8thbut if you are then please come and say hello on our stand ..

Once again Pete thank you for all your helpmuch appreciated

Regards

Paul

Alpine

Not sure if you are coming along to the Flight Sim Show in Birmingham on November 8thbut if you are then please come and say hello on our stand ..

Yes, I am intending to come (depending upon a lift from a friend). Busy time -- I'm off to the FSWeekend at Lelystad this Saturday. Your stand is Alpine Computers I assume?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes it is ....

We are bringing along a high end system spanning FSX over three NEC 40" LCD Panels using the Matrox TripleHead2Go module

We will also have a DBox Motion platform linked to the system kindly supplied by Bob from RC Simulations, Bristol

I have also decided to bring along a seperate system which will be wirelessly linked to our main system demonstrating your superb WideFS utility running FS Commander (moving map utilty) ..

Look forward to meeting you

Kind regards

Paul

Alpine