The simFlight Network Forums

CH yoke problem after FSUIPC upgrade

Hi all, I'm having a slight issue, I have the full registered version of FSUIPC both wide and single machine, and I've just reinstalled and now my CH yoke buttons don't work properly. the yoke, levers, flaps/gear work fine, but the red buttons work for a split second then stop. I have the left and right brake assigned to the left and right buttons on either side of the yoke handle. I've completely removed the FSUIPC files from the modules folder and reinstalled the program from scratch, re assigned the axis and button assignments but the same happens. when I press the brake left or right, the little red brake box appears for a split second then they stop working. I can still use the keyboard though. this happens on all the AC I use not just the PMDG, but that's the one where seperate brakes are most useful.

any ideas peeps.

Many thanks

Ian

A few things to start. Brake values are not normally just on/off but a range of braking from none through to 100% (as would be done if they were handled by rudder pedals and not switches). Buttons on the yoke can effectively send a signal just on activation or when held. The latter is normally done by having the signal sent at a repeat interval (set via the FSX Control Settings dialog buttons/keys section).

From what you describe it sounds as if your assigned brake buttons are being seen just on activation with no repeat. You therefore need to look to set the buttons to repeat so check you buttons/keys section in the FSX Control Settings dialog. FSUIPC will not normally intercept buttons unless you have progam them to do so. You'll need to check that you have not done so via the 'Buttons + Switches' tab or you have changed the calibration of the left/right brakes under 'Joystick Calibration'.

Jeff

when I press the brake left or right, the little red brake box appears for a split second then they stop working. I can still use the keyboard though.

As Jeff says, the FS brakes controls are only operated when pressed. With the keyboard holding the key down causes the automatic keyboard repeat action to occur, and this gives you continuous braking. If you assign a button to do the job instead, it has to be explicitly set to repeat whilst held, as many uses of buttons do not want repeating to occur.

If you are assigning the buttons in you will see the repeat whilst pressed option on the same tab as you used to make the assignment.

Also make sure you don't have any buttons assigned both in FSUIPC and in FS, as they will both be doing whatever they are assigned to do. You may actually want that, but that's rather unlikely.

Regards

Pete

Thank you both for that, I am confused because I had it working perfectly before and now it doesn't work. I've tried assigning the buttons in FS and not in FSUIPC, and vice versa, I'm assuming I shouldn't/can't calibrate the buttons in FSUIPC so just leave the values blank right?

as I said, I've disabled the FS control completely, I just want FSUIPC handling my controls, and again, it was working fine before I re installed FSUIPC, so not sure what the issue is. point taken about the pedals, but I don't have them, so the buttons work/ed fine.

any other ideas?

Many thanks

Ian

Thank you both for that, I am confused because I had it working perfectly before and now it doesn't work. I've tried assigning the buttons in FS and not in FSUIPC, and vice versa

In either case you'd need to enable "repeat", because the action of a button going from not-pressed tyo pressed is what instigates the brake control, and not the fact that it is held down. Key presses would be the same it it weren't for the automatic repeat you get on keyboards.

I'm assuming I shouldn't/can't calibrate the buttons in FSUIPC so just leave the values blank right?

Buttons aren't "calibrated" in any case. Only joystick axes are "calibrated". Calibration means setting minimum and maximum values and centres to suit the particular lever.

You mean ASSIGNMENT. Just don't assign the same axes or buttons in both FS and FSUIPC at the same time, unless you really want two things to happen, possibly conflicting.

I just want FSUIPC handling my controls, and again, it was working fine before I re installed FSUIPC, so not sure what the issue is.

I didn't see you say you had it working until some change other that you did mention "I've just reinstalled", but you didn't say what you reinstalled. What exactly was the change? Did you delete your FSUIPC INI file by mistake and thereby lose all your settings?

any other ideas?

As I keep repeating, have you checked the repeat option? You don't seem to be reading my suggestions. :-(

Pete

sorry peter, I am reading your suggestions, yes I am checking the repeating option, I went through the CH yoke setup guide that is avaliable.

and no I didn't mean assignment, as the brakes, as you rightly pointed out are axis type and therefore have a min/max for when one is using a pedal/lever or whatever. but I was just asking you to confirm weather or not I should do anything with the settings on the calibration page that are available .

I thought I needed to reinstall FSUIPC because I've just added Radar Contact and it was crashing, and I was troubleshooting that problem. This brake problem has subsequently happened and thats when I deleted my FSUIPC files from the modules folder (which I pointed out in my original post)

I am not sure how I had it working before it just set up the way I'm trying to get it to work now. all I can get to work now is the brake assignment, that will assign to a button, but the brake left and brake right work momentarily then stop.

I appreciate your help, and I assure you I am following your suggestions.

s

and no I didn't mean assignment, as the brakes, as you rightly pointed out are axis type and therefore have a min/max for when one is using a pedal/lever or whatever.

Now I am getting confused. Are you saying these red brake buttons you are using are actually analogue axes, not buttons?

but I was just asking you to confirm weather or not I should do anything with the settings on the calibration page that are available .

You use the calibration page to calibrate axes, whether you assign them in FS itself or in FSUIPC. It isn't mandatory unless you are assigning axes "directly to FSUIPC calibration" in FSUIPC's axis assignments.

But what has this to do with your brakes buttons, or are they axes?

I thought I needed to reinstall FSUIPC

Reinstalling FSUIPC changes the FSUIPC DLL for an identical FSUIPC DLL. Not sure what else you possibly accomplish. It has no other dependencies. If you simply want to remove all of your settings so everything reverts to defaults, just delete the FSUIPC INI file before loading FS. It wwill make a default new one.

This brake problem has subsequently happened and thats when I deleted my FSUIPC files from the modules folder (which I pointed out in my original post)

I didn't understand that from the original post. But it sounds like you deleted all your settings for FSUIPC and now you don't understand how to set them again.

And I cannot help you whilst there's this confusion over whether you are talking about buttons or axes.

the brake left and brake right work momentarily then stop.

That is totally symptomatic of a button being pressed once and not set to repeat. Like pressing the F11 or F12 key on the keyboard momentarily.

Regards

Pete

Ok, lets see, the buttons are buttons on the yoke, not axies, I assigned the buttons in FSUIPC and ticked the repeat while held box, I was just refering to the brake axis assignment section on the FSUIPC calibration page, and asking if I had to do anything with that, just in case it was a factor.

I've reset my settings, the same way as I set them before, I have the guide.

when I say momentarily I mean, they only work once, for about 2 milliseconds then don't work again, no matter how much I press them. I can get the brakes to work if I use the brake option rather than the Brake left or Brake right option. I'm thinking it may be a problem in an FSX file somewhere maybe.

thanks

sorry for the confusion

when I say momentarily I mean, they only work once, for about 2 milliseconds then don't work again, no matter how much I press them.

Oh, right. Even if you press them again, you mean? We're not talking about holding them down? They only work once per FSX session? Or once per aircraft load? What makes them work once again, only reloading FSX?

And this is the same if you assign the same buttons to the same functions in FSX instead of FSUIPC?

I can get the brakes to work if I use the brake option rather than the Brake left or Brake right option.

Right. So this seems to eliminate a problem with the buttons themselves, presumably? Otherwise I was going to suggest some simple checks:

1. With the brakes assigned in FSUIPC, go to FSUIPC's Logging tab and enable both Button and Event logging. Then operate the brakes until they appear to stop working. Check the FSUIPC4.LOG file (in the modules folder). Show it here if you don't understand it.

2. Use the attached joystick display program, "DIVIEW", without FSX running, to see if all the parts of your joystick are working okay.

I'm thinking it may be a problem in an FSX file somewhere maybe.

I can't think what it could be. But first, let's clarify what, exactly, brings the brake operation back -- only reloading FSX, or loading an aircraft or a flight, or what?

Might you have some other add-on which is specifically inhibiting the brakes, maybe because of pneumatic pressure being low, pumps not on, that sort of thing? Some of the more sophisticated add-on aircraft will do such things. The brakes when first applied use up what pressure remains in the cylinders, and then you cannot brake again until building up more pressure via electric or engine pumps. Such an add-on may not check against the simple "brakes" control because that isn't a real aircraft facility unlike the separate toe brakes.

Regards

Pete

DIView.zip

Thanks for the Log file data. Sorry, i seem to have made a mess of the thread and actually lost your reply -- but i did study it first.

The log seems to indicate that FSUIPC is sending the brakes control, but it evidently doesn't arrive. I'll take a look here with the latest interim version I was about to put up today.

... Ah. The log from this one is different. It looks okay. Please try this:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4327.zip

Let me know, please. I'm getting ready to put this version into the FSX Downloads announcement above. Actually, I think I will anyway;-)

By the way, didn't you confirm that you got the same problem with the assignment in FSX instead of in FSUIPC? Not sure how FSUIPC would get involved then, unless you had it calibrating the brake axes too -- then I think it has to deal with the BRAKES LEFT and RIGHT controls as well as the AXIS controls.

Regards

Pete

It works, thank you very much Peter, I did confirm that I had the same problem with the FSX control panel, but if I set FSX to control the left and right brakes, and make sure that the FSUIPC controls are unassigned, when I restart FSX, it works. but now I have the FSX controls disabled, and FSUIPC looking after my yoke, which is how I had it before, which is the way I prefer to have it as its a good deal smother, especially with the thottle.

I'm interested to know what changed, because I thought it was the same version of FSUIPC?

thanks for your help, we got there in the end, :)

Ian