The simFlight Network Forums

Accuracy of FS9's Flight Time

Does anyone know how accurate the flight time is in FS9 or X compared to real world flights? In other words, if given the same weather conditions, would a flight in FS between two cities match the same flight in the same aircraft in the real world?

I have the registered FSUIPC installed in FS9 and have the Miscellaneous box checked for keeping the FS clock synchronized with the real world time. Does this help to keep the flight time more accurate? thanks. Tom

Does anyone know how accurate the flight time is in FS9 or X compared to real world flights? In other words, if given the same weather conditions, would a flight in FS between two cities match the same flight in the same aircraft in the real world?

Apart from the exact little changes in wind speeds and directions, and wind layering at different levels, which will never be exactly the same as real world even with real weather downloads, the biggest variable is your routing and speed and climb/cruise/descent/approach legs compared to the real world flights. Not to mention what air traffic control might do to it all!

I doubt if any two real world flights have exactly the same real flight time due to all these small and large variations.

I have the registered FSUIPC installed in FS9 and have the Miscellaneous box checked for keeping the FS clock synchronized with the real world time. Does this help to keep the flight time more accurate? thanks. Tom

No. All it does is correct for FS's tendency to allow its clock to run at a different speed to your PC's system clock. I think it's normally only a matter of some seconds per hour. Negligible compared to all the other variables I mentioned.

Regards

Pete