The simFlight Network Forums

Scaling throttle output to match physical detente

dswo

I have an old Saitek X45 throttle and stick. The throttle has a detente near the top range, which I would like to use in the following way. The plane that I am flying now is the Aerosoft F-16; this is important because the Aerosoft model engages afterburner when throttle >= 80%. I know that FS has an afterburner command, but the model bypasses that (in the same way, I imagine, as the Acceleration Hornet does). What I'd like to do is scale my throttle output to match the physical detente. That is, set the lower range, up to the detente, as 1-79% of output (in setting this up, the percents would be calculated out as absolute values) and the upper range, past the detente, as 80-100% (again, this could be an absolute numerical range).

Is this possible with FSUIPC? I've studied both of the manuals and don't see a way of doing it cleanly -- but perhaps I'm missing something?

What I'd like to do is scale my throttle output to match the physical detente. That is, set the lower range, up to the detente, as 1-79% of output (in setting this up, the percents would be calculated out as absolute values) and the upper range, past the detente, as 80-100% (again, this could be an absolute numerical range).

Is this possible with FSUIPC?

Not easily. You could consider doing it using a Lua plugin, assigning the axis not to a throttle but to a Lua control (with the axis value as the parameter), then, in the Lua plugin manipulating the value and sending out the appropriate controls.

However, to avoid having FSUIPC reload and reinterpret the Lua source each time the axis changes (which could affect the responsiveness or latency) you might need to look at using the Lua Event library instead. Maybe program the axis to change a user FSUIPC offset and have an offset change event process the value. FSUIPC will load the plugin automatically if you name it "ipcReady.lua".

Regards

Pete