The simFlight Network Forums

FSUipc problem at migration FS9 from XP to Vista 64

Hello,

I used fsuipc 3.85 (registered) at my old pc with xp sp3 and now built a new pc (E8500, 4gb, Geforce 9600 gt (1024mb)).

I installed Vista 64 and partioned on a 1000Gb HD same drives as on my old pc (C:, D:, E:, F:, G:).

Then I copied with a USB-HD every partition (d,e,f,g,) to the new pc. (for c: I used "easy-transfer" for vista 64).

After some small corrections, most works fine, but FSUIPC is now "unregistered".

When I try to register fsuipc with my old key, fs9 hangs up in a cpu loop.

I know, it is surely necessary to delete my old fs9 and fsuipc and I will do so.

How can I get fsuipc work on my new pc registered to get a lot of addons running again?

regards

Hans-Guenther Schnell

A "cpu loop"? Where? How do you know?

Some folks have reported a problem with the standard windows dialogues used by FSUIPC with some video drivers, but these only seem to affect full screen mode. Can you see if you can register okay in FS Windowed mode, please?

The only other problem I've heard of like that was with some Kensington mouse driver. Maybe there are some other drivers which don't get on well with the standard Windows dialogues used in FSUIPC.

I know, it is surely necessary to delete my old fs9 and fsuipc and I will do so.

No, that should not be necessary at all. It won't make any difference to FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

A "cpu loop"? Where? How do you know?

windows task manager reported one CPU of the E8500 at 100 percent.

Some folks have reported a problem with the standard windows dialogues used by FSUIPC with some video drivers, but these only seem to affect full screen mode. Can you see if you can register okay in FS Windowed mode, please?

I tried it in full screen mode (alt+enter) and windowed (small and full) mode, no chance till now.

The only other problem I've heard of like that was with some Kensington mouse driver. Maybe there are some other drivers which don't get on well with the standard Windows dialogues used in FSUIPC.

on my new pc I have a Logitech Mouse corded (laser), no drivers installed till now

many thanks for your quick reply

greetings from Bavaria

Hans-Guenther Schnell

P.S.: fs9 runs soooo smooth now at 30 fps limted, after 5 years the hardware fits to fs9!

No, that should not be necessary at all. It won't make any difference to FSUIPC.

but i think it is fair

Regards

Pete

windows task manager reported one CPU of the E8500 at 100 percent.

Hmmm. FS tends to use 100% normally in any case (it soaks up all the idle time), but that is suspicious when in a dialogue, for sure.

I tried it in full screen mode (alt+enter) and windowed (small and full) mode, no chance till now.

Hmm. nasty. There's could be some problem with the video driver, though. Some driver versions install their own copy of COMCTL32.DLL -- the Windows library used to provide the dialogue tabbing mechanism. However, if you are getting the FSUIPC options showing okay, and only get a problem when it is expecting keyboard input (I assume that is when it occurs -- is it?), then the only place it could be is in the mouse or keyboard driver.

All of FSUIPC's use of Windows libraries, for its dialogues, are perfectly standard, and quite innocuous. There's no interaction in the registration window with any other part of FS or Windows excepting the normal dialogue facilities and the registry, so it amazes me that it causes problems on some systems. I don't understand it.

I assume you did run FS "as administrator", by the way? I don't think it would make any difference to this problem, but the registration won't take effect if you didn't, in any case.

Regards

Pete

Hmm. nasty. There's could be some problem with the video driver, though. Some driver versions install their own copy of COMCTL32.DLL -- the Windows library used to provide the dialogue tabbing mechanism. However, if you are getting the FSUIPC options showing okay, and only get a problem when it is expecting keyboard input (I assume that is when it occurs -- is it?), then the only place it could be is in the mouse or keyboard driver.

I will check tomorrow if there are drivers at Logitech and Cherry for mouse and keyboard

All of FSUIPC's use of Windows libraries, for its dialogues, are perfectly standard, and quite innocuous. There's no interaction in the registration window with any other part of FS or Windows excepting the normal dialogue facilities and the registry, so it amazes me that it causes problems on some systems. I don't understand it.

I assume you did run FS "as administrator", by the way? I don't think it would make any difference to this problem, but the registration won't take effect if you didn't, in any case.

yes, I run fs9 as admin, I tried it also in XP SP2 compatibility mode, no differance at all...

lets see what happens

regards

Hans-Guenther Schnell

Regards

Pete

in between I tried:

1. Cherry keyb drivers

2. Vista without Aero (Basic and Classic)

3. NVidia 180.84 Beta drivers

4. Old PS/2 Mouse instead of new USB RX1000 Logitech Laser

no difference at all

here is the log:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.85 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2 ??????????????????????????????????? is this okay?

Verifying Certificate for "C:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="Hans-Guenther Schnell"

User Addr="h.-g.schnell@t-online.de"

FSUIPC Key is provided

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=1

7051 System time = 11:07:10

7051 C:\Flight Simulator 9\

7051 System time = 11:07:10, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

41106 C:\Users\hgs\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Previous flight.flt

41262 AIRCRAFT\DSB HWK_T45C\T-45C.air

59234 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

87641 Traffic File #24 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic"

87891 Traffic File #86 = "c:\fs2004sc\etsl lechfeld ab\scenery\traffic_lechfeld"

87953 Traffic File #87 = "c:\fs2004sc\etsf\scenery\traffic_sport_etsf"

89997 Traffic File #32 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_rusmerger"

95332 Traffic File #27 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_oberpfaffenhofen"

**************************************************************************************

best regards

Hans-Guenther

no difference at all

Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest. With a complete debugging setup on your PC I could trace through it line by line and see which call to which Windows library is hanging. That might give us a clue. But unless you are a programmer yourself I would have to be there in person, and install the Microsoft development system on that PC.

If we could narrow down exactly when it was getting into the problem, maybe I could provide you with a version with almost line-by-line logging to a real-time display program, and maybe that would tell us. But more than likely the timing changes that would induce would not create the right results in any case.

Have you tried different video drivers, as I think I suggested originally?

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.85 by Pete Dowson *********

You could try 3.856, from the Other Downloads announcement above. I doubt if it will be any different, but you never know.

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

??????????????????????????????????? is this okay?

Looks like you are getting Vista to tell FS that it is running on XP. That should be totally unnecessary. However, it is a good idea NOT to install FS9 into the Program Files folder, its default destination, as Vista protects all folders in that area and does weird things with aliassed folders -- all this makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for many add-ons which are not Vista-aware to cope.

If you can't fix it before December 29th, when I get back from my Christmas break (I'm going away from tomorrow night till then), please tell me in as exact detail as you can what actually happens -- i.e. exactly when it appears to hang, by the keystroke/display change. I will then try to work out a way of diagnosing where it is, exactly, so we can get more of a clue.

I should tell you that on the very few previous times this has occurred (maybe 3 or 4 in the last 5 years), only once has it not been due to some additional program like Window Blinds, or a mouse driver problem, or a video driver, and in that case we never did discover what it was. The user concerned reformatted his hard drive and reinstalled Windows and never got the problem again.

Regards

Pete

30 years ago I was system programmer on IBM MVS mainframes ..., :-)

exact at the moment of the click on the "register button" the register window opens with my name and email filled in, the cpu usage goes up to 100% of cpu 0.

no more responding to clicks or keystrokes

Have you tried different video drivers, as I think I suggested originally?

yes, first 180.48 certified and now 180.84 Beta.

You could try 3.856, from the Other Downloads announcement above. I doubt if it will be any different, but you never know.

I will give it a try

Looks like you are getting Vista to tell FS that it is running on XP. That should be totally unnecessary. However, it is a good idea NOT to install FS9 into the Program Files folder, its default destination, as Vista protects all folders in that area and does weird things with aliassed folders -- all this makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for many add-ons which are not Vista-aware to cope.

I have tried to run fs9.exe in XP SP comp mode, but I have changed it back (unmarked the click box), so this is very strange.

If you can't fix it before December 29th, when I get back from my Christmas break (I'm going away from tomorrow night till then), please tell me in as exact detail as you can what actually happens -- i.e. exactly when it appears to hang, by the keystroke/display change. I will then try to work out a way of diagnosing where it is, exactly, so we can get more of a clue.

merry holidays and many thanks for your help

I have taken some pictures with my camera, but I dont know how to send them...

I should tell you that on the very few previous times this has occurred (maybe 3 or 4 in the last 5 years), only once has it not been due to some additional program like Window Blinds, or a mouse driver problem, or a video driver, and in that case we never did discover what it was. The user concerned reformatted his hard drive and reinstalled Windows and never got the problem again.

I am still hesitating a little with reformatting ...

regards

Hans-Guenther

30 years ago I was system programmer on IBM MVS mainframes ..., :-)

So, if you installed a Microsoft debugger, do you think you could break in at the point of the hang and see where it was and how it got there?

exact at the moment of the click on the "register button" the register window opens with my name and email filled in, the cpu usage goes up to 100% of cpu 0. no more responding to clicks or keystrokes

Is there a cursor flashing, one of the slim text insertion flashing cursors? Sounds like all it should be doing it trying to place that ready for your input (i.e. via a SetFocus call).

yes, first 180.48 certified and now 180.84 Beta.

I think the Vista 64-bit nVidia 180.xx, so far at least, series has serious problems. On both my Vista 64 systems (different motherboards, memory, disks, video cards) I've been getting hangs, blue screens of death, all sorts of problems -- not frequent, usually half-way through flights, and then not every flight. I had to go back to 177.xx or 178.xx versions -- no problems since.

Could that be something you could try? If you have a GTX 260 or GTX 280 card it may not be an option. I don't recall which driver version they added support for those. I'm currently using 9800 GTX+ cards, with my GTX 280 awaiting good drivers. The reviews of these cards with FSX specifically seem to show that the 9800 GTX or even the 8800 GTX are best performing in any case, at present.

I have tried to run fs9.exe in XP SP comp mode, but I have changed it back (unmarked the click box), so this is very strange.

Maybe Vista detects that FS9 is not Vista aware in any case, so still lies to it about what version it is.

I have taken some pictures with my camera, but I dont know how to send them...

Would pictures help at all? If so you can send them in an email to petedowson@btconnect.com.

I am still hesitating a little with reformatting ...

Of course. A very last resort, every time!

Regards

Pete

Would pictures help at all? If so you can send them in an email to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Why did you send me all those pictures? They show nothing more than what you already told me!

Pete

because we say in Germany: "one picture tells mor than 1000 words" and I was not sure if my English was clearly enough

in between I installed 178.24 drivers, same result:?

sorry, if I was boring you with my pictures

regards

Hans-Guenther

I found an old contribution with exactly my problem:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=69175#p430056

I assumed it was related to the CoPilot DLL problem, which was known, as the originator didn't come back after that was mentioned.

I'm going to have to think about how to narrow this down more when I return on the 29th. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

As I suspected some dlls for guilty, I move a lot of them to another place.

Then I could re-register. Finally I moved the stuff back to modules and I had my fsuipc registered.

Could you tell me what these other modules are, please? There have certainly been some rogue modules in the past but I don't know of any up-to-date ones which cause any conflicts. I need to know in case it happens again. I may also recognise one which you should be updating.

Regards

Pete

As I suspected some dlls for guilty, I move a lot of them to another place.

Then I could re-register. Finally I moved the stuff back to modules and I had my fsuipc registered.

Could you tell me what these other modules are, please? There have certainly been some rogue modules in the past but I don't know of any up-to-date ones which cause any conflicts. I need to know in case it happens again. I may also recognise one which you should be updating.

Regards

Pete

I have so much free- and payware installed in the last 5 years. So it is not easy. But I will try to recreate the problem.

As fsuipc is now again registered, I think I will simply try to register widefs. fs9 should freeze here similar?

After each freeze, I will move one more dll away. This takes a little but should work?

regards

Hans-Guenther

it is actigate !

Aha! That rings a bell. Older versions of Actigate have been a constant pain. I'm sure it was fixed in a later version. If you do a search in this Forum for "Actigate" I'm sure you'll find more notes of problems it causes in FSUIPC dialogues. I've no idea why or how -- I think it must be subclassing some of the controls.

Maybe you can find an updated version of that DLL?

Regards

Pete

Switching from fullscreen mode (alt+Enter) in "modules - fsuipc " results in black screen,

but thats another story and not so essential ..

That is most certainly a video driver problem, and it is the most common. When it happens it affects all normal Windows GDI superimposed windows, no matter from what add-in program.

Regards

Pete

it is actigate !

Aha! That rings a bell. Older versions of Actigate have been a constant pain. I'm sure it was fixed in a later version. If you do a search in this Forum for "Actigate" I'm sure you'll find more notes of problems it causes in FSUIPC dialogues. I've no idea why or how -- I think it must be subclassing some of the controls.

Maybe you can find an updated version of that DLL?

Regards

Pete

I cannot find an updated version, but will send Arne an email

regards

Hans-Guenther