The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC for Developers (Technical question)

Apologise if this is a daft question but I have looked through the documentation I have and can't find an answer at the moment.

Is there a way to check if an application is accredited with FSUIPC? I would like to check when my application starts and not allow it to continue.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Is there a way to check if an application is accredited with FSUIPC? I would like to check when my application starts and not allow it to continue.

Do you mean checking it from inside the application? At present, you could only do that by reading a location which you know should always be non-zero, and seeing if you get zero back. However, that attempt could provoke FSUIPC into displaying a Message Box, and it will certainly log it.

If you would like to have a safe place to read which is legitimate but which is pre-set in FSUIPC to be non-zero for "OK" and zero for "No access", then I think I can add that easily enough. Let me know today, I'll see about slipping it into this next version.

Pete

Peter

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am currently checking year to see if that is zero and if so assume my app is not accredited.

I think a location to read would be a good idea, perhaps the the validity pattern could be used?

Regards

Alex

I am currently checking year to see if that is zero and if so assume my app is not accredited.

Yes, but by then your access will already be noted as failed.

I'm not sure what application there is for this, but it is easy enough to provide a way. Is it that you don't want to use an access key? Is this for freeware or something commercial?

I think a location to read would be a good idea, perhaps the the validity pattern could be used?

Well, I'd rather not use that as this indicates that the FSUIPC version and the FS versions are valid, which they are and can be read legitimately. I'll probably just use the following word or byte (330C), so that the block 3304-330D can be read without problem and the word at 330C is zero if access elsewhere will fail, non-zero otherwise.

If this is read before sending the Key on an non-registered FSUIPC then it should be zero, if it is read after sending a good key then it will be non-zero.

Leave it with me. But I'd still be interested in the application for this. What is it? You aren't trying to derive the algorithm for key formulation this way, are you? with 36^12 combinations to get through it'll take nearly forever I reckon. Anyway I shall probably not accept more than 3 attempts from the same process. .

Pete

Peter

I am trying to provide an elegant method for my. 100% freeware, application to gracefully inform the user that its not accredited with FSUIPC. It seems to make sense to do it in my application as the user has to connect it to FSUIPC. When the user connects I want to pop up a dialog explaining why the connect failed.

As It stands I am connecting, reading the year, if this fails sending my reg code and then attempting to re read the year. This seems to work fine.

In no way am I attempting anything underhand

regards

Alex

I am trying to provide an elegant method for my. 100% freeware, application to gracefully inform the user that its not accredited with FSUIPC.

But why not get a free access key for it and be done? Then it is accredited.

As It stands I am connecting, reading the year, if this fails sending my reg code and then attempting to re read the year. This seems to work fine.

But if it is the first such application to fail in this session, a Message Box should appear from FSUIPC, and a log entry will be made every time. This is how it is anyway from FSUIPC 3.02 on.

Please note that when run under WideFS on a remote PC, it is always accredited in any case, but FSUIPC may not be indicating this to you as it is WideServer which is then accredited. You can tell if it is WideFS or FSUIPC if you are using the FSUIPC access library in the SDK.

I've looked at using 330C for a maerker. It is already used internally for some flags, but 2^1 bit is free. I may use that.

Regards,

Pete