The simFlight Network Forums

some help vb.net

hello, I have been looking for to place an option in the menu and a shortcut to show a window within my fsx, but I have not been able it to do. If somebody has an example that can facilitate or can say to me where to find information to me of how to do this, i been thankful enough, I am using vb.net, fsuipc4 and fsx. tnks in adv.

hello, I have been looking for to place an option in the menu and a shortcut to show a window within my fsx, but I have not been able it to do.

Sorry, can you explain that a little more please? Are you trying to draw your own Window? What menu / shortcut are you thinking of here? Something in FSUIPC or in FSX, or in your programming system?

There are facilities in FSUIPC4 for displaying text on screen -- these are detailed in the FSUIPC4 SDK, and there are facilities in SimConnect for test lines or menu windows (like the ATC one). The SimConnect facilities are, of course, described in the Microsoft SimConnect documentation in the FSX SDK.

Regards

Pete

well, tks for your fast response, i try to explain better, in the FS i like put a submenu and/or give a short key for open a window form inside the FS, i are new in the vb.net and search for a week in the internet some information for make it, but i can't find nothing. i am bite confused because i don't know if i need make a gauge or only need program a dll into vb.net for put this menuitem or submenu into fs, the goal is open a window hoked in fs with a small aplication.

I preffer don' t use the simconnect because i am thinking downgrade my simulator to fs9, and i think fs9 and simconnect are not compatible.

(my write english is no god and i use for my first post a translate of altavista site, this wrote my self i expect explain me better on this post) :lol:

i try to explain better, in the FS i like put a submenu and/or give a short key for open a window form inside the FS

I assume you are thinking of doing this from a separate program, not a Gauge or DLL running inside FS?

Adding items to FS's menu (in the Modules main menu) is easy enough, you can do it via FSUIPC, but if you want to open a Window to show on top of FS, it is difficult. When FS is running in Windowed mode you could do it by taking he focus (so stopping sound in FS too) and making sure your Window is on top. But this doesn't work in FS full-screen mode, because the whole screen belongs to FS.

The only way to have a Window in FS in full screen mode is to run within the FS process -- i.e. as a gauge or DLL. And even then it isn't easy to do it whilst FS is actually running (flying) without getting flicker.

i are new in the vb.net and search for a week in the internet some information for make it, but i can't find nothing. i am bite confused because i don't know if i need make a gauge or only need program a dll into vb.net for put this menuitem or submenu into fs, the goal is open a window hoked in fs with a small aplication.

FSUIPC provides the facilities for you to add a menu item to the Modules menu. It also provides ways to display text on the FS screen, either in the FS text bar (along the top of the scenery window by default) or in a separate small (but sizeable) window. But both of those solutions are limited to simple text of up to 128 characters, no more.

I don't know of any general way of having your own drawn window showing in FS full screen mode without running inside FS, and you will simply find that next to impossible in VB.NET. You'd have to look at writing a gauge or DLL in C or C++. And even then I couldn't tell you how to avoid flicker except in FS dialog mode (i.e. when FS isn't continually repainting the screen).

Regards

Pete