The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC freezes

I have already flown many hours with FS9, FSUIPC and CH pedals, throttle and yoke and Saitek Panel.

A few days ago FSUIPC started to behave strangely. When I open the module, all pages can be accessed, until I hit the buttons and switches tab. FSUIPC freezes and FS9 freezes as well. I have to shut down the program to end this problem. I can fly with FS9, but I can't add anything new.

The only thing I changed on my pc is a new Canon printer /scanner, but I don't see this as a problem.

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks,

Wouter Roerdink

I have already flown many hours with FS9, FSUIPC and CH pedals, throttle and yoke and Saitek Panel.

A few days ago FSUIPC started to behave strangely. When I open the module, all pages can be accessed, until I hit the buttons and switches tab. FSUIPC freezes and FS9 freezes as well.

This is probably caused by something connected as a joystick or input device, being scanned by FSUIPC, constantly changing a button or POV state so rapidly that FSUIPC gets no chance to display it. Try unplugging things to see what is doing it.

Or try running the attached program, "JoyView", which scans the joysticks in the same way as FSUIPC. It may help you locate the culprit.

If you can identify the faulty joystick & button number(s), and cannot fix it, you can use the "IgnoreThese" parameter in the main [buttons] section of your FSUIPC.INI file to disregard it(them). This facility is described in the Advanced User's guide, in the Button Programming section.

Regards

Pete

joyview.zip

Hello Pete.

Thank you for your early reply. You were indeed completely right. The problem was caused by a joystick, but in a different way than you said.

I had for a short time connected a joystick to fly in a helicopter and had disconnected this again. As soon as I connected it, the problems were over. I cannot disconnect it anymore without the problem returning, but I can live with that!

Thank you for your wonderful program, it gives me much pleasure!

Kind regards,

Wouter Roerdink

The problem was caused by a joystick, but in a different way than you said.

I had for a short time connected a joystick to fly in a helicopter and had disconnected this again. As soon as I connected it, the problems were over. I cannot disconnect it anymore without the problem returning, but I can live with that!

Aha! I have heard of that happening too, with a rather badly written joystick driver.

Was this an old Game Port device, or USB? With Game Ports if the device is not connected the driver has to wait so many milliseconds for a time-out before returning to say so. It's to do with measuring analogue axis settings by the discharge time of a capacitor (!). When that time is longer than the interval between two successive polls from the PCnothing else can happen!

Anyway, if you really don't want to use that joystick I would uninstall its driver if i were you. I think the problem will disappear then!

Regards

Pete