The simFlight Network Forums

Delete system folders in Vista 64

Pete,

it´s boaring! After I received my registration for Fsuipc and Widefs for Michael Mair, MSc MAS, and I entered both keys completely new I do not get the menu Add- ons anymore.

I read almost everything in the net about this, but could not find a solution.

Any ideas, or any hints?

And before you ask me: Yes my firewall is setup correctly and windows firewall is disabled!

Thank you for your assistance!

OE-MM1

My system (OS updated to latest standard):

Server:

Vista 64 professional,

FSX Deluxe, with service pack 1 and 2

FSX SDK installed from DVD, with SP1a and SP2

Fsuipc 4.40, wideFs 6.78

Client:

XP Professional

After I received my registration for Fsuipc and Widefs for Michael Mair, MSc MAS, and I entered both keys completely new I do not get the menu Add- ons anymore.

Why are you adding this to a thread entitled "Delete system folders in Vista 64"?

Did it work before you registered? If you remove the FSUIPC4.KEY file from the FSX Modules folder, does it work?

What does the FSUIPC4.LOG file show? That's the first place to look. If it isn't producing a log file, then it isn't even being loaded by SimConnect.

The Installer also produces a log and that will contain useful information too.

I read almost everything in the net about this, but could not find a solution.

The first place to look, surely, in in your own folders, for logs and the like. Why make it harder first?

Pete

Pete,

enclosed in the .zip you will find my logs and inis from the modules folder. To ensure to offer you best information, below you will find SimConnect.xml and simconnect.ini

Thank you for your help, obviousely I am not a professional to solve the problem on my own!

Nice regards!

M.M

SimConnect.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

SimConnect

SimConnect.xml

False

False

IPv4

global

False

False

Auto

local

SimConnect.ini:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

For Pete.zip

enclosed in the .zip you will find my logs and inis from the modules folder. To ensure to offer you best information, below you will find SimConnect.xml and simconnect.ini

At least one of the SimConnect DLLs appear to be missing from their proper places in the Windows WinSxS system. Either that or the permissions set on those folders prevents the WinSxS system operating.

I'm curious still -- you didn't answer my question "Did it work before you registered?". Why did you specifically mention the fact that you'd just registered? Was that related to the problem at all.

Also, the fact the you are posting in a thread related to deleting folders in Vista 64 leads me to think that you may have messed up the SimConnect installation altogether. Why, for instance, did you post the link to where it shows you how to change permissions and delete files?

I assume you've tried deleting the SimConnect folders themselves and repairing FSX bas plus the SP! and SP2/Accel updates?

All I can suggest at present is that you try the very latest FSUIPC4 update, from the Updates announcement above. That's a bit more flexible how it links to SimConnect (because it has to link to ESP's version too). But apart from that it looks like a re-install of Vista may be necessary.

Regards

Pete

I'm curious still -- you didn't answer my question "Did it work before you registered?". Why did you specifically mention the fact that you'd just registered? Was that related to the problem at all.

Well, before registering I could establish a connection, so that on the frames of FSX and WideFS 1 connection was written. FSCommander could connect to FSX (I saw the aircraft on the map) and my next goal was to setup ASA from HIFI correctly. This never worked with WideFS.

Also, the fact the you are posting in a thread related to deleting folders in Vista 64 leads me to think that you may have messed up the SimConnect installation altogether. Why, for instance, did you post the link to where it shows you how to change permissions and delete files?

I assume you've tried deleting the SimConnect folders themselves and repairing FSX bas plus the SP! and SP2/Accel updates?

You are right, I deleted the three entries in winsxs, hoping, that a reinstall of SP (FSX) and SP (SDK) would result in a clean and properly working FSX ready to be connected to ASA. I read, that deleting these entries - even if MS does not suggest to delete them - and a repair from the FSX DVD could solve the problem. Thats the reason why I deleted them. And in Vista 64 there is no way to delete protected files or folders with right mouse-click and open as adminTherefore I was looking for a solution, and thought that I have found it ...

All I can suggest at present is that you try the very latest FSUIPC4 update, from the Updates announcement above. That's a bit more flexible how it links to SimConnect (because it has to link to ESP's version too). But apart from that it looks like a re-install of Vista may be necessary.

I tried FSUIPC4 Version 4.435 but there was no change.

Any ideas except reinstalling Vista?

Thank you!

OE-MM1

Well, before registering I could establish a connection, so that on the frames of FSX and WideFS 1 connection was written. FSCommander could connect to FSX (I saw the aircraft on the map)

Well it looks like you changed something else in your system as wekk as Registering, because FSUIPC4 simply cannot link to a SimConnect DLL. I've never actually seen a log showing the same symptoms as yours does -- it isn't simply a WinSxS problem -- Windows seems to allow the Side-by-Side check to pass, but then the actual exports in the SimConnect DLL aren't found so FSUIPC cannot link to it. It's as if you have the SimConnect folders all correct, but either the SimConnect.DLL module inside them missing or replaced by incorrect files with the same name.

and my next goal was to setup ASA from HIFI correctly. This never worked with WideFS.

No, it wouldn't. ASA is a SimConnect client, like ASX before it. Neither use WideFS or FSUIPC at all for FSX.

You are right, I deleted the three entries in winsxs, hoping, that a reinstall of SP (FSX) and SP (SDK) would result in a clean and properly working FSX ready to be connected to ASA. I read, that deleting these entries - even if MS does not suggest to delete them - and a repair from the FSX DVD could solve the problem. Thats the reason why I deleted them. And in Vista 64 there is no way to delete protected files or folders with right mouse-click and open as adminTherefore I was looking for a solution, and thought that I have found it

Well it looks like your repair did not work. Did you remember to change Permissions back to "TrustedInstaller" BEFORE running the DFSX DVD repair and reinstalling SP1 and SP2? If not, then those attempts would certainly have failed.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I could solve the problem! I could unerase the write protected folders!

Now I have a proper WideFS - FSUIPC connection - or perhaps what I think, which is a proper one - and FSCommander can connect again.

You wrote, you would not connect ASA via WIDEFS. Please tell me exactly why, because this was the main reason to purchase WideFS!

I´ll send you the loags later on!

By the way, is there a application list, of WideFS - FSUIPC trusted software?

Thanks!

OE-MM1

You wrote, you would not connect ASA via WIDEFS. Please tell me exactly why, because this was the main reason to purchase WideFS!

You should really have read more about ASA first, then. It clearly says that it uses SimConnect for FSX, only FSUIPC when using the FS9 version. Please check your ASA documentation, or ask the HiFi Simulation folks, whose product it is. They've been developing for SimConnect ever since FSX was in Beta, some years ago, and ASX, the predecessor to ASA, was 100% SimConnect. No FSUIPC/WideFS use at all.

You can run SimConnect clients across a Network -- if you have the Deluxe or Gold version of FSX. You would need to install SimConnect on the client PC too. The ASA Documentation surely covers this.

I´ll send you the loags later on!

I don't need any logs if you are now up and running.

By the way, is there a application list, of WideFS - FSUIPC trusted software?

Not that I know of. There's a partial list, probably quite out of date, down the right-hand side of the main http://www.schiratti.com/dowson download page.

Regards

Pete