The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC problem

I'm having a problem with FSUIPC operating in FS9. I'm using version 3.85 along with version 9.1 of flight sim. Also using Windows Vista 64 bit operating system. When I attempt to open the FSUIPC window within the flight sim environment, my screen goes blank. I can get back into flight sim using the ESC key, but cannot access the FSUIPC menu. I have tried with a fresh download of the program as well as deleting the ini file from the modules folder, but I get the same results. I've purchased the program but can't register it or make any selections from the FSUIPC menu. I've got other addons that do work (PMDG 737ng). I recently installed PSS Dash-8 & Ready For Pushback 747-200 to the system. One of them did install an earlier version of FSUIPC but I replaced it with version 3.85.

Hope you can help.

Hugh

I'm having a problem with FSUIPC operating in FS9. I'm using version 3.85 along with version 9.1 of flight sim. Also using Windows Vista 64 bit operating system. When I attempt to open the FSUIPC window within the flight sim environment, my screen goes blank.

In all previous occasions this has been reported it was identified as a video driver problem -- some drivers are not good at changing from standard full screen mode to Windows GDI mode in order to display a standard dialogue.

The usual immediate solution is to change into Windowed mode for FS (ALT+ENTER) -- Windowed mode is almost always just as fast as full screen mode (and in fact has better re-draw capabilities, and less blurries). The dialogues appear normally in Windowed mode. If you prefer to run in full screen mode then switch back afterwards. If you want a fuller long-term solution then you need to look to driver changes for your video card. As far as I know all the current main drivers for the more up to date cards work well.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the reply. I think I know what you are talking about. It's listed in the FSUIPC manual under the "Blank screen" problem. I did have this happen to me in earlier versions operating under Windows XP. Your solution did work for me there. This problem is just with the FSUIPC drop down menu for flight sim's menu bar. FYI I'm running a Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. I can't think of anything else to do. The system was working a week ago. I'm going through rebuilding my flight sim on the new Vista system. I had installed the Jeppesen sim charts addon, but did a system restore to just before they were installed. Still get the same FSUIPC problem.

Hugh

Pete ...

I've tried to play around with the sim a bit & discovered that if I change my view to the "tower view" & then use the "alt\enter to minimize the sim,I can get to the FSUIPC menu. When I go back to the "cockpit" view, I can then also access the FSUIPC menu. I have been able to register & make a number of selections from the menu so I'm assuming that these options that I have selected will be implemented. Still get the blank screen when I'm in full screen though. Go figure eh!!

Hugh

I've tried to play around with the sim a bit & discovered that if I change my view to the "tower view" & then use the "alt\enter to minimize the sim,I can get to the FSUIPC menu. When I go back to the "cockpit" view, I can then also access the FSUIPC menu. I have been able to register & make a number of selections from the menu so I'm assuming that these options that I have selected will be implemented. Still get the blank screen when I'm in full screen though. Go figure eh!!

Weird, but it is certainly all to do with video drivers. You said

Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. I can't think of anything else to do. The system was working a week ago.

...so what did you change relevant to video? Could there have been an automatic update?

I'd look for alternative (older or newer) drivers for your card if I were you. I notice the ATI Catalyst drivers for Vista are up to version 9.1 already -- but you can also still get all the 7.x and 8.x drivers, up to 8.11.

Regards

Pete

Pete ...

I haven't done anything with the Radeon drivers. I'm running version 9.1 of the drivers right now. I don't believe my system is set for an automatic update. I prefer to have control over what gets installed. I'm thinking of maybe going back 2 or 3 weeks with a system restore & see if that makes a difference. Maybe that will show me if the drivers have changed. I believe that FSUIPC is working (I created a hot key that did function in flight sim). Could you let me know if this would be true.

? I'm comfortable with the options I've made. It's just a challenge if I wish to change anything else.

Hugh

Pete ...

Poking around my system, I discovered that Windows Vista was set to automatic update (new system, must have been done at the shop). would this have any effect on the sim & FSUIPC? I did a system restore to as early a restore point that was available. Still had the 9.1 Radeon drivers. I can access the menu if I do run in windowed mode. I'm a bit nervous about changing the video drivers so I might just leave things as they are & not fly in full screen mode (or alter back & forth between screens). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I gives me an idea as to why the problem is there.

Regards

Hugh

Poking around my system, I discovered that Windows Vista was set to automatic update (new system, must have been done at the shop). would this have any effect on the sim & FSUIPC?

Not that I know of. It's certainly not going to affect FSUIPC. The usual reason for disabling that is simply to avoid surprises. But I have it enabled on several of my systems, just not the main flight sim as I'm fussy about which drivers I use.

I did a system restore to as early a restore point that was available. Still had the 9.1 Radeon drivers. I can access the menu if I do run in windowed mode. I'm a bit nervous about changing the video drivers so I might just leave things as they are & not fly in full screen mode (or alter back & forth between screens). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I gives me an idea as to why the problem is there.

Okay, but in my opinion there's a bug in 9.1 which may well be new since 8.11. But rather than go backwards, if you can by all means wait for the next ATI Catalyst update to see if they've fixed it.

I had to bypass all of the nVidia 180.xx series drivers. Every one of them caused Blue Screens of Death on my system several times a week with FSX running. Not even flying, just idling parked at a terminal for 30 minutes or so could do it. I had to go back to 179.xx drivers. I've now moved onto 181.xx drivers but haven't had time to even get the cockpit switched on to see if nVidia have fixed things yet!

[sTOP PRESS] I've actually now got 182.xx drivers, but not installed yet!

Regards

Pete