The simFlight Network Forums

Using 2 Monitors

Hi,

I have just bought a registration key for FSUIPC3, for the following reason:

I want to display the "spot plane" view on a second monitor, simultaneously to the "normal" FS view on the main monitor.

With the normal setup (dual head video card) I was not quite succesful, because the frame rate drops dramatically.

So I intend to use a second computer, and I downloaded WidevieW2002, which needs FSUIPC.

But studying the WidevieW documentation I got the impression that (contrary to my earlier believe) I have to install FS on the second computer, and this second computer needs also to be quite powerful. Using FS2002 just on the main computer seems not to be recommended.

I thought the second computer just needs to be a machine that is suitble for the display.

My "main" computer is with a Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9600 Video Card. 2 hard drives, 100 GB and 180 GB.

The second computer, however, is rather weak, Pentium MMX, just 200 MHz, 48MB RAM, 2 GB harddisk, Video card Matrox Mystique SVGA 512KB.

I could upgrade the second computer with more memory, of course; and I have also a spare video card Nvidia nVidiaGeForce2MX400-32MB.

I am now bit confused, because I saw on your homepage that there is also a program WideFS 6.02!

Would this be better suitable to achieve my goal?

And what software/hardware arrangement would you suggest?

Kind regards,

Peter

But studying the WidevieW documentation I got the impression that (contrary to my earlier believe) I have to install FS on the second computer, and this second computer needs also to be quite powerful.

Yes, WidevieW links together computers all running FS. It is like multiplayer, but a bit more efficient for multiple views rather than multiple flyers.

I thought the second computer just needs to be a machine that is suitble for the display.

Well, of course, the problem is that any real time moving display from FS is taking most of the power. The FS in the second PC still has to simulate most things, it is only relieved of the actual flight calculations by having WidevieW control the positioning of the user aircraft. Everything else, the scenery, the weather, the aircraft rendering, all in 3D and in motion, still needs similar processor and video power.

I am now bit confused, because I saw on your homepage that there is also a program WideFS 6.02! Would this be better suitable to achieve my goal?

No. WideFS is for linking external FS applications to the single FS PC across a network. I am not aware of any external application for FS which will display your scenery and aircraft in motion in real time. Only FS itself does that, and in fact it uses most of its code explicitly to do that!

Regards,

Pete

• 2 years later...

But studying the WidevieW documentation I got the impression that (contrary to my earlier believe) I have to install FS on the second computer, and this second computer needs also to be quite powerful.

Yes, WidevieW links together computers all running FS. It is like multiplayer, but a bit more efficient for multiple views rather than multiple flyers.

Well, of course, the problem is that any real time moving display from FS is taking most of the power. The FS in the second PC still has to simulate most things, it is only relieved of the actual flight calculations by having WidevieW control the positioning of the user aircraft. Everything else, the scenery, the weather, the aircraft rendering, all in 3D and in motion, still needs similar processor and video power.

I am now bit confused, because I saw on your homepage that there is also a program WideFS 6.02! Would this be better suitable to achieve my goal?

No. WideFS is for linking external FS applications to the single FS PC across a network. I am not aware of any external application for FS which will display your scenery and aircraft in motion in real time. Only FS itself does that, and in fact it uses most of its code explicitly to do that!

Regards,

Pete

Hi you guys.

Name's Shaun, and I am HIGHLY confused!!!!!!!!

Very fond of flying, but got grounded due to medical reasons.

Dicided to join the AVSIM community. Went out and bought FS2004. Had to Beef up my PC (Old, slow, etc)

Current System: Intel DXV 925, 3.2 HT, 1024 DDR2, nVidia 256Mb 6600, 2 X 17" CRD's, 2 X 300Gig SATA (RAID 0) 512 ADSL (Router with specified IP's) running XP SP2. Both monitors run in dual mode with Xp, Photoshop, Edius 3 (realtime editing with DV Storm 2 & Bay) NO problems

FS9 however, only run on the no 1 monitor. Expeted that FS9 do not run in dual mode. Got bored with the planes inside Fs9. Start looking, and bought PC 12 from Flight 1. After about 200Hr's with it, got bored with the weather, and bought ASv6. Run well on same system, on monitor 2. Enjoy the Realtime weather. After browsing, bought the AEROWORX K/A 400. very well build as well as options for servicing. Really enjoy that.

Started reading about Dual monitors, and also downloaded "WIDEVIEW" Also see in the documentation it is more for 2 Pc's and not for Dual view. Went further and got FUIPC and WideFS. (Registred)

Installed WideFS on my laptop, no problem. did everything as stated in the documentation.

Heres my problem: Run WideClient on WideFS system. Run FS9 on main system. BOTH SYSTEMS SYSTEM STATE CONNECTED!!!!! Run ASv6 on WideFS system. It can download weather, save it to the FS9 system, but DO NOT CONNECT TO FS9???????????

No +/- $1000 later (On software alone) Still haven't got Dual View in FS9, and do not get ASv6 connected to FS System, allthough ir save to the FS system????????

When attempting support for FUIPC and WideFS, got reffered to this forum

Can FS9 run in dual view on 1 system???? If so, please assist me!!

Why do AVs6 not connect to FS9, allthough WideClient connects, and all other connections like mapping, Internet browsing etc works 100%

Please assist me in my quest to continue enjoy my passion as real as possible!!

Shaun

FS9 however, only run on the no 1 monitor. Expeted that FS9 do not run in dual mode.

You can undock windows, or open more windows, and move them onto a second, third or more monitors. That's not a problem. the problems only arise in two cases:

1. If you want more than one outside ("3D") view, the frame rate of FS really suffers.

2. If you run in full screen mode (ALT + ENTER) -- the mode with no title bar -- then depending on the video drivers it can be difficult to move undocked parts of panels and other windows onto other monitors. It can be done, but it is usually easier to do it in Windowed mode, then change to "full screen" mode.

One other problem with FS with multiple undocked windows is that even if you then save the flight, it doesn't seem to always remember all their positions, so it doesn't always reload the same way.

The best way to run FS with multiple monitors on one PC is where you treat the monitors as one big screen. nVidia drivers allow this mode. You can then either stretch the FS window over both the monitors, or possibly just maximise it. Full screen mode may also then occupt both monitors, but I think that depends on the drivers -- certainly full screen mode works on Matrox Parhelia cards oer three monitors.

Heres my problem: Run WideClient on WideFS system. Run FS9 on main system. BOTH SYSTEMS SYSTEM STATE CONNECTED!!!!! Run ASv6 on WideFS system. It can download weather, save it to the FS9 system, but DO NOT CONNECT TO FS9???????????

Does it say that? Where? When you say ASV6 "saves the weather to the FS9 system", that does actually mean it is connected. ASV6 dynamically sets the FS9 weather using WideFS, it doesn't "save it" to FS.

Can FS9 run in dual view on 1 system???? If so, please assist me!!

I don't know what you mean exactly by "dual view", but, yes, as I said above, FS9 windows can be undocked and moved where you like. I still think you are better off setting your video drivers to give you a single wide screen mode, utilising both monitors as one large window. Things get much easier then and FS runs better.

Why do AVs6 not connect to FS9, allthough WideClient connects, and all other connections like mapping, Internet browsing etc works 100%

You seem to be saying on the one hand that it does connect, as it sends the weather to FS, and on the other that it doesn't. Can you be a little clearer, please, about how you come to the conclusions you are stating? Tell us the symptoms, not your conclusions please.

There is an ASV support forum as well, by the way. You may want to ask for specific ASV support there, being the correct place for it.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Hope this reply go through. Been battleling replying, after subit it just won't show on the forum.

Back to problem, her goes;

Start FS9 on server - FS reports 9 Right on top in window mode " Waiting for Clients

Start WideFS on Client - Both PC's report Connected (Server= 1 Con.)

Start ASv6 - States, on top "FS Disconected", After fetch report "Fs9 not yet connected)

Open Active Sky. make mods, and then it will sucseesful saver to server (FS).

Q's

Is ASv6 connected, if yes, why no "MET's" reports inside FS.

If no, possible solutions please

Must FSUIPC be installed on Client? If yes where to copy DLL

Regards

Shaun

I don't know what you mean exactly by "dual view", but, yes, as I said above, FS9 windows can be undocked and moved where you like. I still think you are better off setting your video drivers to give you a single wide screen mode, utilising both monitors as one large window. Things get much easier then and FS runs better.

Pete, I must be doing something wrong, because when I set my system to one big screen, it actually stretches the screen, then cockpit & everything is AWFULL.

Shaun

Start WideFS on Client - Both PC's report Connected (Server= 1 Con.)

Start ASv6 - States, on top "FS Disconected", After fetch report "Fs9 not yet connected)

Can you do this again, then close FS down. Zip up the FSUIPC.LOG and FSUIPC.KEY files from the FS Modules folder, along with the Wideclient.LOG file from the same folder as WideClient on the Client PC, and send them to me at petedowson@btconnect.com. It is sounding like an FSUIPC or WideFS key problem, and I can check that with those files.

Open Active Sky. make mods, and then it will sucseesful saver to server (FS).

I don't know what you mean by that, but i assume you are talking about replacement cloud textures. For that it will be using normal Explorer style filesharing, not WideFS.

Must FSUIPC be installed on Client?

No. The problem appears to be that for some reason ASV6 does not like what it is seeing from FSUIPC. You may need Active Sky support to help there. But let me see those files first.

Regards

Pete

[

Pete, I must be doing something wrong, because when I set my system to one big screen, it actually stretches the screen, then cockpit & everything is AWFULL.

You are not doing anything wrong. That is fine. The outside view will actually be correct, not stretched. The only reason the cockpit is stretched is that it is designed with bitmaps to suit 4x3 screens. But you just resize it. Drag one edge over so the main panel fits on one of your screens. All of FS's windows can be sized to suit you. Except for the outside world they stretch and compress as needed to fit. The outside world maintains the correct proportions no matter what shape the window.

You can use the space left where you shrunk the panel back to one screen to place other views, other cockpit parts which you didn't have room for before -- like Radio Stack, GPS, Kneeboard, whatever.

When you've got things as you like, save a Flight and mark it as default. Then always start from that flight, make new ones from it if you like, so you retain your window positions.

With most (not all) aircraft there's also a "virtual cockpit" mode. Pressing the 'S' key will cycle from 2D cockpit to Virtual (3D) cockpit and two outside views. Try the 3D one. I don't think you need to stretch or compress anything then. Again, when you are happy, save the flight.

Regards,

Pete