The simFlight Network Forums

Help with AdvDesplay Text

I run Radar Contact on a client machine. I have the latest version of WideClient along with AdvDisplay Text V 1.1 installed on the client, which runs XP. My FSX machine is running Vista 64 and I have the latest version of FSIUPC installed. All are registered versions. My question is how can I turn off the Adventure Test window on my FSX machine. It works great on the client. On my FSX machine, I right click, close the text window, but it pops back up in about 10 seconds. I undock it, close, but it always comes back. Any help would be appreciated. I usually start FSX in windowed mode, then go to full screen. I know I was able to turn it off in the past, when my FSX machine was also using XP. Is it something related to Vista?

Thanks, Brad Storm

I run Radar Contact on a client machine. I have the latest version of WideClient along with AdvDisplay Text V 1.1 installed on the client, which runs XP.

Two points there:

1. Advdisplay doesn't run on a client -- it's a DLL which used to be supported, but only on the FS PC, in the Modules folder. maybe you are thinking of "ShowText", the little display program provided inside the Advdisplay ZIP file?

2. AdvDisplay itself is not supported any more. For displays on the FS window you use the built-in window facilities provided via FSUIPC.

My FSX machine is running Vista 64 and I have the latest version of FSIUPC installed.

"Latest version" is almost meaningless. Please ALWAYS quote version numbers. I've had folks say "latest" and they were using a year-old version -- the "latest one they'd seen"!

My question is how can I turn off the Adventure Test window on my FSX machine.

You surely don't have Advdisplay.DLL installed in any case? It doesn't work on FSX.

If you mean the FSUIPC window, it's one of the options on the FSUIPC first option screen, the one also showing the VERSION NUMBER! ;-)

The window control facilities are explained near the front of the FSUIPC User Guide. Please peruse that some time, it does explain all of FSUIPC's options.

Regards

Pete

I have FSUIPC Version 4.50 installed

I have WideFS 6.78 installed

Yes, I am talking about Show Text, Version 1.10.2

FSUIPC and WideFS are both registered.

Registration is not actually necessary for the option you want -- it is on the first FSUIPC option tab you see when you go to the FSUIPC options via the Add-Ons menu.

Regards

Pete

When I select the Add On tab, the only option is FSUPIC. If I click on that I get the various FSUIPC options tabs, i.e., Buttons +Switches, Misc, Hot Keys,Axis Assignments, etc. I know the tab you are talking about, but it doesn't show up when I click on the Add On tab.

Brad

When I select the Add On tab, the only option is FSUPIC. If I click on that I get the various FSUIPC options tabs, i.e., Buttons +Switches, Misc, Hot Keys,Axis Assignments, etc. I know the tab you are talking about, but it doesn't show up when I click on the Add On tab.

Oh dear. :-( When you click the Add-Ons then FSUIPC, the main tab, the one that tells you about FSUIPC, with the version number on, the one actually labelled "About", is also the one with the Window options!

If you look carefully in the FSX Modules folder you will find a User guide PDF. It has been provided especially to help you in the unusual circumstances that you cannot see the options in front of you. Please look at that. It has documentation for this stuff, even with pictures showing the different Tab pages and describing options such as the one you seem to be blind to. There's even a Contents page, listing "Message Window Options" amongst its subjects, along with a page number to go to!

Regards

Pete