The simFlight Network Forums

Button and switches Offsets in the FSUPIC module- Help!!

Hi Pete

Usually I try to read the manual before asking for help - but even with the user guide and the SDK documentation I am confused. So I am asking you for help. In the FSUPIC moudle tab 'button and switches' you can assign controls. Now there is the possibility to write offsets directly into the module without opening the ini-file. Now my question: I would like to switch the displays of the lower EICAS with a rotary switch. So I understand according the Offset-list of Project magenta the offset is:

x04F4 the size is 2 bytes therefore I am using offset word... so good so far but now I have the problem: With the offset x04F4 I am selecting the Glasscockpit ND Modes. But to specify the diffrent displays they have an extra number so the EICAS displays have the number 30 - 39. Now my question is where do I have to place this number? So when turning the rotary switch the right display appears? Or is it not that easy? And I have to modify the ini-file? For me this is not easy because I do not have any skills with programming at all. I already tried some things for some reason I had in the field 'parameters' all of a sudden x0086 and x0087 etc. which specified EICAS pages but I have no clou where this numbers come from and why it works.

Daniel, Switzerland

With the offset x04F4 I am selecting the Glasscockpit ND Modes.

The offset 04F4 is dealt with by the drop-down FSUIPC control called "PM GC controls (by param)", or very similar. It is one of the additions listed in the Advanced Users guide.

Why are you looking in the SDK? That is for programmers. You say you are not a programmer, so why look there?

But to specify the diffrent displays they have an extra number so the EICAS displays have the number 30 - 39. Now my question is where do I have to place this number?

It is the parameter, so it goes in the box where is clearly says "parameter". I don't understand why this isn't obvious?

I already tried some things for some reason I had in the field 'parameters' all of a sudden x0086 and x0087 etc. which specified EICAS pages but I have no clou where this numbers come from and why it works.

If you go out of your way to make it more complicated, by choosing to use Hexadecimal offsets like x04F4, instead of the additional PM control names especially provided and documented for you, then you would expect the parameters to also be presented in hexadecimal. The values x0086 and x0087 are 134 and 135 in decimal. According to the PM documentation those operate the First Officer's side, not the Captain's side (it says "Add 100 for First Officer") -- so they are obviously 34 and 35 but with the 100 added.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete

Thank you for answering my last question so quickly. :) . But I still have a question regarding switching Panels (upper DU's). I am using a rotary switch which is connected to a joystick card with the possibility of 32 buttons/switches. In the button/switch tab of FSUPIC I am using PM GC (Param). With the engine display it works well (parameters 30 and upper according Offset list). Now it says that on Captain side parameter 600 and key postiton can be used - as I understand this would mean parameter 600, 601 and so on. It also says that F6 expanded mode must be used in the PM software. Well I am using the expanded mode but with the mentioned parameters nothing happens at all, if I am using parameter 10, 11 for instance it works - but with these parameters I can't display all necessary opitons. What I am missing here?

Daniel Bützberger, Switzerland

In the button/switch tab of FSUPIC I am using PM GC (Param). With the engine display it works well (parameters 30 and upper according Offset list). Now it says that on Captain side parameter 600 and key position can be used - as I understand this would mean parameter 600, 601 and so on. It also says that F6 expanded mode must be used in the PM software. Well I am using the expanded mode but with the mentioned parameters nothing happens at all, if I am using parameter 10, 11 for instance it works - but with these parameters I can't display all necessary opitons. What I am missing here?

I don't knowAre you reading this in the FSUIPC Advanced User's guide? I just copy extracts from the PM documentation at http://www.projectmagenta.com/pmoffsets.html for easy reference. Did you cross-check to see if things have changed? Are you sure you are using PM builds in which these work?

Sorry, but I think PM support is the correct place to ask these sorts of questions. I cannot support their software. If you are sure you are sending the correct values, the rest is up to their modules.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Well, I used excatly the parameters I was supposed to. This afternoon I have the problem solved. I dont' know why but for some reason there was something wrong with the expanded mode of PM-Software. All of a sudden I had options to select the different displays within the software - and guess what the parameters with FSUPIC work just fine. Thanks again for your time.

Daniel Bützberger, Switzerland

Well, I used excatly the parameters I was supposed to. This afternoon I have the problem solved. I dont' know why but for some reason there was something wrong with the expanded mode of PM-Software. All of a sudden I had options to select the different displays within the software - and guess what the parameters with FSUPIC work just fine. Thanks again for your time.

Don't you just love self-correcting software? :shock:

Pete