The simFlight Network Forums

Allow shutdown question

Hi all,

One of my 5 PC's in my homebuild cockpit refuses to shutdown with my hotkey "CTL-SHIFT-E".

I have put the line "Allowshutdown" in the clients ini but still one of the PC's refusus to shut down.

Due to this i have to shutdown the PC unregurarely wich causes Project Magenta to lose it registration number.......

Does anyone have some tips for my in order to make it work?

Help is much apreciated.

regards,

Ben

The Netherlands.

I have put the line "Allowshutdown" in the clients ini but still one of the PC's refusus to shut down.

And all the others are okay?

Are you using the latest WideClient in that PC? Double check this.

Due to this i have to shutdown the PC unregurarely wich causes Project Magenta to lose it registration number.......

I've never heard of PM components "losing" their registration numbers. You need to report that to the PM support folks, as it must be a bug.

Anyway, you can close PM components by pressing "Q" on the keyboard (Ctrl Q for the CDU). Do you do that instead? If that doesn't work, it sounds like something has hung. Possibly an Open GL problem? Either way I think you need to sort it out with PM support.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes all other PC's are o.k. and the program versions are the same.

I must say that i copied the program and .ini from the PC's that are closing o.k. so i don't miss any settings.

Others " programmed those for me and i have put a new PC in the network by myself.

That PC is running o.k. in the network though, i know that because it comes from my wideview system (5 PC's) now into my homebuild cockpit.

Should i put a line somewhere into the server?

The bug on PM loosing registration on non normal closing is known as others told me. It happened on one of my other PC's also.

The "Q"key was unknown by me though....thanks.

I hope you can give some further tips for the shutdown problem.

Regards,

'Ben.

Should i put a line somewhere into the server?

Only if you want it to close too.

I hope you can give some further tips for the shutdown problem.

Sorry, I've no idea. If something is causing something to hang on that PC then Wideclient won't be able to close the client programs and so can't close the system.

It will be doing exactly the same on that PC as on all the others.

Do the PM modules close properly with "Q"? Does WideClient close when you click its "close" button? Does WideCliemt close the PM modules when you close wideclient, or have you not told it to? Perhaps that is it -- perhaps the PM modules intercept the closedown from Windows and refuse it unless they've been told to close down first.

What does PM support say?

Pete

Hi Pete,

PM support isn't updated by me about this problem.

"Q" key did dhut down PM so i won't cantact them i think.

maybe i found the problem and maybe you can help me.....

The other PC's wich are shutting down with the hotkey CTLR-SHIFT-E on the FS server, aren't configured by me.

Maybe i should tell WindowsXP on the "problem PC" that with this hotkey it should close PM, WC and WinXP?

On the correctly shutting down PC's PM and WC are closing and directly thereafter WinXP is closing and the PC is shut off. So maybe i should tell WinXP what to do?

Can you confirm this and give hints how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Ben.

maybe i found the problem and maybe you can help me.....

The other PC's wich are shutting down with the hotkey CTLR-SHIFT-E on the FS server, aren't configured by me.

Maybe i should tell WindowsXP on the "problem PC" that with this hotkey it should close PM, WC and WinXP?

On the correctly shutting down PC's PM and WC are closing and directly thereafter WinXP is closing and the PC is shut off. So maybe i should tell WinXP what to do?

Can you confirm this and give hints how to do that?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean at all. How do you "tell WinXP what to do", when, how, what?

All Wideclient does when it gets the closedown signal from the Server is send the system closedown request to Windows. After that everything is completely out of its hands.

I have one PC which never closes down completely, it only goes to the point where Windows says "it is now safe to switch off" or similar. Is this what you mean?

If most of your PCs shut down okay and one doesn't, then the only way realy is to find out why -- what is the difference?

Pete

Hi Pete,

O.k. i will accept that this PC won't shut down with the hotkey.

What i ment with my question about WinXP shuttung down the PC was that i thought i should configure winXP that way that the PC WILL shut down.

Appearently this is not the case and is everything done within the Wideclient environment.

Regards,

Ben.

What i ment with my question about WinXP shuttung down the PC was that i thought i should configure winXP that way that the PC WILL shut down.

Hmmm. I don't knowI've never taken any steps specifically. Perhaps it's to do with BIOS settings? I do have one PC which never switches itself off, it only ever goes to a point where Windows says "it is now safe to switch your PC off".

Does your rogue PC switch off properly when you tell XP to do so directly, via the Start menu? Because as far as I know it should do exactly the same when WideClient issues the instruction to Windows too. If it doesn't, then possibly there's some driver or other background task not terminating correctly?

Pete