The simFlight Network Forums

Port Bridging supported?

Widefs can't seem to hold a connection open... it alternates Connected/Waiting. The pc I'm using connects to the network via port bridging. Anyone tried that before?

I thought I'd ask before providing all the logs and sys specs.

Thanks in advance!

Widefs can't seem to hold a connection open... it alternates Connected/Waiting. The pc I'm using connects to the network via port bridging. Anyone tried that before?

I thought I'd ask before providing all the logs and sys specs.

What is "port bridging"?

WideFS uses a basic level of standard Winsock programming, lifted straight out of Microsoft examples. All I know about networks is based on simply following those examples. All the stuff below the standard Windows "sockets" API is really a matter for the correct drivers, the correct settings, and working hardware. Maybe there is a clue in the logs, but it might need interpreting in terms of what you know about what you've set up there -- especially if you are using some hardware or software arrangement which is non-standard.

Regards

Pete

You’re right, I’m using bad lingo

I’ve seen it as 'connection bridging' and 'network bridging.'

My motherboard has two network ports. Instead of letting one sit idle, Vista can bridge the ctwo allowing my other PC to access the internet (and the host PC). I was hoping to use the secondary PC to host IYP. Maybe even vox ATC if the latest version supports widefs.

I’ll get the logs when I get off work. I’ll also try tossing an old hub/switch into the loop to see if I have more success.

Thanks for the support!

My motherboard has two network ports. Instead of letting one sit idle, Vista can bridge the ctwo allowing my other PC to access the internet (and the host PC).

Oh, that. Yes, I'm using that between a firewire connection and an Ethernet connection, to connect my co-pilot CDU to the system via my pilot CDU -- the built-in Ethernet port on the RCDU PC (a mini-PC smaller than a shuttle) is broken so i had no choice.

There's no problem with that -- it is all invisible at the socket level. Maybe it's something to do with its settings, but not the bridging per se.

Regards

Pete

All right Pete, here's the update...

I stopped bridging and put in a hub and I have the exact same challenge. The logs shed a little more light (probably why you made them):

Client side:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.78] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 07/04/09, Time 16:33:46.219: Client name is BIORAD-17FDA541

120 Attempting to connect now

1011 Server = S1AGATHOR-PC

1051 Trying TCP/IP host "S1AGATHOR-PC" port 8002 ...

1051Okay, IP Address = 208.67.216.132

4076 Connection made okay!

4196 Connection closed by server!

4196 Attempting to connect now

5017 Server = S1AGATHOR-PC

5037 Trying TCP/IP host "S1AGATHOR-PC" port 8002 ...

5037Okay, IP Address = 208.67.216.132

5097 Connection made okay!

5187 Connection closed by server!

5187 Attempting to connect now

5187 Trying to locate server: Protocol not yet decided

8011 Server = S1AGATHOR-PC

8041 Trying TCP/IP host "S1AGATHOR-PC" port 8002 ...

8041Okay, IP Address = 208.67.216.132

8101 Connection made okay!

8181 Connection closed by server!

8191 Attempting to connect now

11015 Server = S1AGATHOR-PC

11046 Trying TCP/IP host "S1AGATHOR-PC" port 8002 ...

11046Okay, IP Address = 208.67.216.132

20109 Connection made okay!

20249 Connection closed by server!

20249 Attempting to connect now

rinse and repeat

Server side:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.50] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 07/04/09, Time 16:23:33.177: Server name is S1AGATHOR-PC

15350 Initialising TCP/IP server

15350 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15350 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15350 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15350 Initialising UDP/IP server

16239 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

1051 Trying TCP/IP host "S1AGATHOR-PC" port 8002 ...

1051Okay, IP Address = 208.67.216.132

First off, that IP address is VERY suspicious. It simply does not look like a local network address, but an internet or gateway one, as seen from outside your system. Please check the actual IP address on the Server, or assign one explicitly yourself (that's what I usually do -- I assign all of my PCs a known fixed address so I know exactly where i am).

4076 Connection made okay!

4196 Connection closed by server!

Well, here it says it connected -- but according to its own log WideServer never saw it! And the error is a forcible closure by the Server. Therefore it is one of two things at the Server end -- either you have a firewall blocking the access, or the Port is being used by something else.

I see you are using FSX. You haven't assigned port 8002 for use in SimConnect at all, have you? Since SimConnect starts first (it loads FSUIPC4), it will grab that port first.

Regards

Pete