The simFlight Network Forums

Help with FSUIPC 4.50

I already had many Aircraft specific profiles before 4.50,and I used ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring.#1 If I continue to use the substring method I take it I have nothing else to do right? #2 I added UseProfiles=yes to the .ini file therefore I see all the new Specfic Profles in the .ini file, but I really do not know if I need to use them.#3 If you do use them how do you add all the aircrafts to each Specfic Profile,I take it you would have to load each plane (including each and every variation) into FSUIPC and pick the Profile that you want to add this aircraft to right?

Thanks Roger

I already had many Aircraft specific profiles before 4.50,and I used ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring.

You mean "profiles" i.e. "settings", not the FSUIPC Profiles, I assume?

#1 If I continue to use the substring method I take it I have nothing else to do right?

In order to achieve what? You can carry on as you used to.

#2 I added UseProfiles=yes to the .ini file therefore I see all the new Specfic Profles in the .ini file

Okay. If you let FSUIPC do the conversion to Profiles for you, then your profile names will be your old "substring" aircraft names. If that suits you you can leave it like that and assign new aircraft to one of those without worrying about the name, or (better, usually) change the Profile names to more appropriate generic terms for the aircraft type. It is up to you. If you change the names you need to just edit them in each of the [xxx.name] sections in the INI -- a max of 4 places for each. (i.e [Profiles.], [Keys.

but I really do not know if I need to use them.

you don't "need" to. It's up to you. I assumed you set "UseProfiles=Yes" for a reason, though.

#3 If you do use them how do you add all the aircrafts to each Specfic Profile,I take it you would have to load each plane (including each and every variation) into FSUIPC and pick the Profile that you want to add this aircraft to right?

No, not each variant if you want to edit the relevant entry in the [Profiles.] section -- the one to which you added one of the variants -- to be a common substring -- that facility still works, and you have it enabled.

However, it doesn't matter. You really don't need to load them all now, just assign each time you want to fly a new one.

Regards

Pete

Thank You for your reply

My question now is can I change the Use Profiles=Yes to =No within the INI file and go back to Aircraft specific? I only enabled Use Profiles=Yes because I thought I had no choice in the matter.The Aircraft specific has never caused any problems for me and I would like to continue with that method.

Thanks Again

Roger

My question now is can I change the Use Profiles=Yes to =No within the INI file and go back to Aircraft specific? I only enabled Use Profiles=Yes because I thought I had no choice in the matter.The Aircraft specific has never caused any problems for me and I would like to continue with that method.

Strange -- Profiles are much smoother and easier to use as it never has to involve any INI file editing, once you have your few needed profiles set up. It is also more efficient for FSUIPC.

What problems are Profiles causing for you? The whole point was to make things simpler, more automatic, and trouble-free.

But if you insist, and you've not been editing any of the section names, not created any profile names which aren't simply substrings of the related aircraft names, then simply setting UseProfiles to No will revert it. The "Profiles" sections will be ignored, or you can simply delete them.

If you have used Profile names not related to aircraft names, you'll have to change them back to something which can be recognised in the aircraft names.

I don't understand you, though.

Just in case you are as confused as you sound, here's a "diagram" of Profiles versus the old Aircraft specific method:

AIRCRAFT-SPECIFIC:

Aircraft Name ---> find settings sections matching Aircraft Name, or longest part of it (if ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes or Substring)

PROFILES

Aircraft Name ---> Find [Profile.] section listing Aircraft Name, or longest part of it (if ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes or Substring)

profname ---> use to find settings sections.

Settings included in a Profile are: Buttons, Keys, Axis assignments and Calibrations.

All of the aircraft sharing a Profile are listed in that [Profile ...] section. The settings never need duplicating, unlike with Aircraft specific. The INI file stays shorter as do the internal tables. Better, FSUIPC presents a dropdown list of existing profiles for you to assign newly loaded aircraft to, getting aircraft-specific operation in a couple of mouse clicks instead of having to make many individual assignments and calibrations.

Pete