The simFlight Network Forums

looking for help/advise

Hello fellow simmers,

My name is frank. Ilive in the netherlands. I'm in the middle of building

A cessna simpit. Right now, first priority is trying to get an external gps.

I hope there are people who are willing to tell me how I can do this. Either with

A second computer, but rather using just one computer. Which software will

Suit me? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Frank

Right now, first priority is trying to get an external gps.

I hope there are people who are willing to tell me how I can do this. Either with

A second computer, but rather using just one computer. Which software will

Suit me?

With one PC sporting two screens, why not just undock the normal GPS gauge and drag it to the other screen?

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete for you lightning fast response! That would defenitely the easiest

way to do it. I am a registered user of fsuipc and widefs, so i was hoping for add on software ( in the end i wanna portrait it onto a small 7" screen and buil it in to my

Avionics stack together with working pushbuttons and a rotary knob. If this means i need an extra computer, I will. (Besides the fact I fly fullscreen and not windowed mode. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that there is nothing to

Undock, flying fullscreen mode. Again I could be totally wrong, but I am also a total

Newbie at this!

... i was hoping for add on software ( in the end i wanna portrait it onto a small 7" screen and buil it in to my

Avionics stack

I don't personally know of any external GPS emulating program I'm afraid. There may well be one such though -- you'd need to do a search (Google), see what you can find. There are several products, at least one of which is freeware, which provide other external instrumentation, that more directly thought of as aeronautical.

Besides the fact I fly fullscreen and not windowed mode. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that there is nothing to

Undock, flying fullscreen mode.

I'm am pretty sure you can do it -- you go into Windowed mode, undock and drag the Window, then change back to full screen. However, whether this works is very much dependent on the video drivers and the multiscreen mode they are in, and whether you are talking about FS9 or before or FSX. I think with FSX there are greater difficulties, especially in getting it to remember these things.

Windowed mode is generally more flexible in this regard though, and with a maximised main screen is only usually different from full screen mode in having a title bar, which would be quite slim in a high resolution. Most folks find the frame rates comparable between the two modes, and some say the quality of the graphics is noticeably better in Windowed mode too.

Regards

Pete

hi Pete,

thank you again for your fast and elaborate response! I'll look in to it a.s.a.p.

if it works like you say in windowed mode, you've really helped me! as soon as I get home I'm gonna give it a go! I'll let you know through this forum how things worked

out for me (b.t.w. I'm flying within fs9)

kind regards

Frank

Hello Pete,

Thank you for your help thusfar. Undocking in windowed mode works quite well like you said.

But I just dont like those title-bars. Switching back to fullscreen works too but that doesnt

give me the opportunity to resize my gps screen. Resizing before the "fullscreen switch"

doesnt do it either. The Gps will return to default size. So I have to probably resize it in the

aircraft config screen first. I'll give it a go when I return home tonight.

Thank you again for your help in this matter.

Kind regards

Frank

Switching back to fullscreen works too but that doesnt

give me the opportunity to resize my gps screen. Resizing before the "fullscreen switch"

doesnt do it either. The Gps will return to default size.

Really? That must be a function somehow of the video drivers, because the sizes and positions of each of the undocked windows get saved explicitly when you save a flight.

Wait a minute -- you aren't running your full screen at a different screen resolution to your windowed setup, are you? That would certainly give such symptoms, as obviously the pixel count would be different. You should ALWAYS run FS full screen at the same resolution as Windows, and that should also be the screen's own default resolution. Else you will be losing performance and quality.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete!

You are right, my second screen has another resolution than my primary. But is only used when I use my gps

externaly. (And I run Vista unfortunately) I think I solved it though. I rezized the default size of the GPS in

the panel config file, and now it works. You are right, there is some loss, but I only need the "map-part" of

the gps and that seems to look ok. Thank you again Pete! for thinking along with me. As soon as I have have

it up and running I'll post some pics!

Regards

Frank