The simFlight Network Forums

Wireless Setup for WideFS

I recently purchased WideFS. I set it up and expected to have to do more configuring but it connected right away. The only problem is that it will disconnect every once in a while though most of the time it stays connected. Both computers are connected wireless to the same network. I am guessing the problem isn't due to firewall or the fact that one computer is Vista and one is XP since connecting is not a problem. I have limited knowledge on TCP/IP so I need some help. I downloaded the ZeroWirelessShutdown and ran it on the FSX(Windows XP) computer but this did not have an effect. Do I need to run it on both computers? Also, when ever I try to give the computer a static IP, it cannot connect to the internet. It always reconnects to WideFS when I repair the connection. How do I solve this and establish a constant connection?

I recently purchased WideFS. I set it up and expected to have to do more configuring but it connected right away. The only problem is that it will disconnect every once in a while though most of the time it stays connected. Both computers are connected wireless to the same network. I am guessing the problem isn't due to firewall or the fact that one computer is Vista and one is XP since connecting is not a problem. I have limited knowledge on TCP/IP so I need some help. I downloaded the ZeroWirelessShutdown and ran it on the FSX(Windows XP) computer but this did not have an effect. Do I need to run it on both computers?

I'm afraid I really have no idea how to make wireless setups work well. I sometimes do have one laptop connected wirelessly to by cockpit, but only the GPSout map following, so the traffic is very light. Even then it dops out now and then, not often though since I switched to a Wireless N Router/Access point. Previously my "G" one was pretty useless for prolonged inter-PC exchanges

Does the Windows wirelss indicator show a good connection, or does it vary. Dropouts on wireless systems are often due to interference from other devices, electrical equipment and so on. I think you can tell the router which of several channels to operate on -- you might find it works better on one than another. I avoid having it on "auto" which seems to be the worst case -- I suspect either end goes hunting for a signal too often.

Also, when ever I try to give the computer a static IP, it cannot connect to the internet.

Static addresses aren't as important as they used to be, though they can still help remove stuttering if you experience any.

If you provide a static address you must also make sure your router has one too and that its address is provided as both the Default Gateway and Preferred DNS Server in the TCP/IP settings in Windows.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your quick response. I will try to find a good channel and see if that clears up the problem a bit. Although, I have to say I am a bit disappointed since I bought this mostly for WideFS especially to run programs which track my flight for a VA causing data gaps and also I can foresee some issues when I use SquawkBox and it disconnects on me. I know it's not WideFs' problem, I was just hoping there was a clear cut solution to this problem.

The wireless shows a good connection but it may just be way to unstable with two computers automatically obtaining IPs while connected(or trying to) to each other.