The simFlight Network Forums

Map following

Hi,

Can you confirm that I am understandig this set up correctly.

I have two PCs connected on a home network. One PC is running FSX and registered versions o FSUIPC and Wide FS.

The second PC is running Fugawi UK Digital maps. To follow the track of my aircraft from FSX on the map PC I just need to configure GPS out in FSUIPC on the FSX PC and the GPS setting in Fugawi on the map PC.

If I have got this right can you help with the appropriate settings.

Many thanks,

Rod.

I have two PCs connected on a home network. One PC is running FSX and registered versions o FSUIPC and Wide FS.

The second PC is running Fugawi UK Digital maps. To follow the track of my aircraft from FSX on the map PC I just need to configure GPS out in FSUIPC on the FSX PC and the GPS setting in Fugawi on the map PC.

No. It cannot be that easy, obviously, because the moving map program is expecting you to connect your GPS device to a serial port, isn't it? I don't know of any normal commercial mapping programs which have FSUIPC/WideFS interfaces built-in.

Please read the small amount of documentation for the GPSout facility. It isn't too much to read. It does tell you that (a) you need to tell GPSout to connect to WideFS, and (b) you need to configure WideClient, in the client PC, to send out the GPS data on a COM port at a speed acceptable to your map program.

Then, so that the Map program can receive this data, you need another COM port to read it back on.

One way of doing this is by using two real COM ports and a "null modem" cable. That's how you'd do it if you were actually connecting your PCs by COM ports. However, there are "virtual serial port" programs which save you the trouble -- these programs can generate a pair of coupled serial ports in software, enough to fool Windows. You need to look at those -- I always used the freeware MixW one, but that won't work on Vista nor on 64-bit systems. The other is by Eterlogic, free for 32-bit and reasonably priced for 64-bit.

If I have got this right can you help with the appropriate settings.

The settings required for selection of NMEA Sentences, and serial COM speed, will be determined by your map program. I can't help there, you'll need to check its documentation. Or experiment.

Regards

Pete