The simFlight Network Forums

dll for FSUIPC & Java

Hey Pete,

i downloaded your FSUIPC SDK and found the java dll. So i started programming around a bit, and the read/write methods from FSUIPC provide the data in a byte-array. But there is no documentation along with the dll, and it seems the author has changed his e-mail address. I wrote to him, but mailer-daemon returned.

Is there any doc about the dll, especially in which byte order the data has to be provided for writes and is provided from reads?

Thanks

Snooky

i downloaded your FSUIPC SDK and found the java dll. So i started programming around a bit, and the read/write methods from FSUIPC provide the data in a byte-array. But there is no documentation along with the dll, and it seems the author has changed his e-mail address. I wrote to him, but mailer-daemon returned.

Is there any doc about the dll, especially in which byte order the data has to be provided for writes and is provided from reads?

Sorry, all I was given is included in the SDK. I don't know what to suggest if the author is not available. Can you not try something and tell byte order from the results? Is Java likely to use a different byte order to the standard Intel one?

Regards

Pete

I don't know if java is capable of middle Endian, but it can operate with both little and big endian or at least i could write methods that can. But for that i have to know in which way the bytes are given. Unfortunately i can't try it until monday. On monday i will read/write some 4 byte integers and try to determine the byte order.

Thanks anyway, i will report back on monday!

Hey Pete,

i recognized, that the dll used for interfacing fsuipc with java only functions as a wrapper calling the functions of the c dll.

Do you maybe know by any chance in which way the fsuipc read and write functions want the data? It should be a byte array anyway, but in which order?

Little Endian or Big Endian?

Thanks

Snooky

Do you maybe know by any chance in which way the fsuipc read and write functions want the data? It should be a byte array anyway, but in which order?

Little Endian or Big Endian?

All Intel processors are little-endian, i.e. least significant byte first, and that's how all FSUIPC variables are stored. But I don't know whether the DLL reverses things internally. If you read everything as a Byte array, which is how the FSUIPC interface itself treats everything, then you will know what you are getting and can treat it appropriately.

Otherwise, why not simply read something known (eg from FSInterrogate) and look at it. You'll soon know then!

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was the origonal author of the java sdk. Every few years I check in :)

I started the project in 2003 so that I could interface with some hardware I was building. Work and life have interviened in interesting ways since and the project is now sitting in a box in the garage (hopefully protected from the damp and cold)

Did you get it to work? The byte ordering should be the same as what comes out of the C windows dll.