The simFlight Network Forums

Can not register, please help

Dear Pete,

I purchased FSUIPC3.90 today, but can´t register.

I put the dll into the modules folder, run FS9 as administrator (set the parametre of the file: rightclick - Properties - Compability - Tick Run as Administrator) - Create a Flight - Alt button - Modules - FSUIPC - Register... I filled my name, e-mail and provided key, it says Thank you, blablabla. I then click confirm, then OK and restart FS. And voila - FSUIPC is still unregistered. I don´t have a FSUIPC.key file in the modules folder.

I use Windows 7 64bit (run FS9 in Vista SP2 compatibility mode), but I don´t think it does matter. Or is it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Here is what the log file says please note, I deleted my e-mail address from the log just only to paste this on the public forum, in the original log file, there is the correct address):

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.90 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 6.0 Build 6002 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "F:\Flight Simulator 2004\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="Václav Loubek"

User Addr="myemail"

FSUIPC Key is provided

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

7707 System time = 08:03:36

7707 F:\Flight Simulator 2004\

7738 System time = 08:03:36, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

47144 \\VAŠEK-PC\Users\Flightsim\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\PMDG747.flt

47253 AIRCRAFT\PMDG747-400\B747-400.air

59905 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

243877 \\VAŠEK-PC\Users\Flightsim\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

255296 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

290209 Traffic File #121 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_skai_traffic_v2_3"

290537 Traffic File #21 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_air armenia_su08"

290911 Traffic File #124 = "scenery\world\scenery\trafficpp3"

291208 Traffic File #125 = "scenery\world\scenery\trafficpp4"

394979 WeatherOptions set, now 0000B027 (timer=0)

398037 \\VAŠEK-PC\Users\Flightsim\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

409410 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

417802 System time = 08:10:26, FS2004 time = 08:04:23 (06:04Z)

417802 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 2730 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

I put the dll into the modules folder, run FS9 as administrator (set the parametre of the file: rightclick - Properties - Compability - Tick Run as Administrator

No, please don't do that. Go back and uncheck that option. It is not what is requested and is not required.

When you are asked to run FS as administrator, you do it ONLY for that one time, and it is an elevated administrator position you obtain. Find the FS9.EXE or the FS9 icon on screen, right click it, do NOT select "Properties", but instead select "Run as ..." then "Administrator", or just "Run as administrator" (this varies slightly depending on version).

I filled my name, e-mail and provided key, it says Thank you, blablabla. I then click confirm, then OK and restart FS. And voila - FSUIPC is still unregistered. I don´t have a FSUIPC.key file in the modules folder.

You most certainly do have an FSUIPC.KEY file in the modules folder, as the log shows:

User Name="Václav Loubek"

User Addr="myemail"

FSUIPC Key is provided

These parts of the log are obtained by actually reading the KEY file! No other possibility exists for those lines. The details are stored no where else.

I suspect you have allowed FS to install itself in its default place, in "Program Files". This is really a big mistake with FS9 and before, because it isn't a Vista / Win7 aware program. These new versions of Windows protect all "Program Files" folders from being written to, even by the programs installed there -- true Vista programs store data in "ProgramData" or "Appdata" folders, pseudonyms for Document and settings folders. So, to allow older programs to run, Vista and Win7 both actually make new folders, hidden from non-elevated administrators, and keep the programs there. What you see in Explorer is only an alias, not the real folders.

To find the real folder, you need to run Explorer itself "as administrator" (as above for FS9). Then you see the real folders, not the aliassed ones.

You could also try turning off UAC (User Access Control) as this is responsible for much of this confusion.

Note that many many FS9 add-ons will also face difficulties with FS9 is aliassed folders, as they won't be able to find what they need to even write to where they want. In the long term you might be far better off uninstalling FS9 and re-installing it into a good folder like C:\FS9. Then you won't get any of these further administrator hassles later.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete, thank you for your reply.

First of all, I´m sorry I forgot to mention that I have my FS installed on separated disc (physically, not the partition) than the system. System is on C:, FS is on D:

Maybe I don´t see the .key file because of hidden files not showing. Will try that later as I am at work right now... Is it a hidden file? If not, I don´t have it in my computer... When I try to find FSUIPC.key by W7 search engine, there is no result...

What is also strange for me - the .ini file and the log file, they create themselves somewhere in My Documents folder, not in the FS9/Modules folder.

So, do you think that the fact I have the option Run as administrator ticked in Properties is the problem? Or is it somewhere else?

Thank you for your help, I´m becoming a little bit desperate about it as I purchased Saitek Yoke system and want to test it (You know the happiness of a little kid when he opens the Christmas present... :wink: )

First of all, I´m sorry I forgot to mention that I have my FS installed on separated disc (physically, not the partition) than the system. System is on C:, FS is on D:

Ah, excellent. Well done!

Maybe I don´t see the .key file because of hidden files not showing. Will try that later as I am at work right now... Is it a hidden file?

It won't be hidden, at least it isn't set to be hidden by FSUIPC. Maybe you have Windows set to hide known filetypes from you, simply identifying them with the main name, like "FSUIPC". If so, the FSUIPC.INI and FSUIPC.LOG files would also have their types hidden. Windows might assume a KEY file to be a registry file.

If not, I don´t have it in my computer... When I try to find FSUIPC.key by W7 search engine, there is no result...

The FSUIPC.KEY file is the only place your name and email address is stored, and that is where FSUIPC reads it from. It is most certainly on your PC, and in the same folder as FSUIPC, else it could not possibly show in the Log file!

What is also strange for me - the .ini file and the log file, they create themselves somewhere in My Documents folder, not in the FS9/Modules folder.

They cannot possibly be the actual current FSUIPC files then, unless you moved them there. FSUIPC only ever reads and writes its files in the same folder as itself.

I´m becoming a little bit desperate about it as I purchased Saitek Yoke system and want to test it

Why on Earth are you dependent upon FSUIPC to use a Saitek device? They don't rely on FSUIPC -- they certainly don't pay any license for it. I am sure they must have their own drivers for it, or else Windows handles them automatically as standard HIDs.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

I bought FSUIPC to get the best from my Saitek device in FS. But doesn´t mind...

From what you wrote, I cannot read where my problem could be.

Can the problem be in my name, which have the letter "á" in it? I think the problem must be something similary small, because it seems FSUIPC is very reliable as I didn´t find any related problem in this forum...

I think I will start from the beginning - I will delete the FSUIPC.dll and all related files from my Modules folder, everything with the name FSUIPC from the computer and every entry in the registry. Do you think it could help? Could you please write me what entries should I try to find in the registry?

Thank you.

From what you wrote, I cannot read where my problem could be.

Nor can I, because as I said, FSUIPC.DLL only ever accesses and writes its files to the folder in which it is installed. And for FS to load it it has to be installed in the FS modules folder.

I cannot examine your disks from here, but i'm sure it could be resolved very quickly by examination of your modules folder.

Can the problem be in my name, which have the letter "á" in it?

No, it shouldn't be -- the checking in FSUIPC is the same as the system used to make your key in the first place. And if is appeared incorrect it would have been rejected when you entered it. The only thing i know which can produce the symptom you report, that of it accepting the details and key, but then still appearing unregistered on reload, is when the Registry cannot be accessed, and as far as I know that can only happen due to lack of "elevated administrator" privileges when registering.

Did you try as I said, using the right click run-as, not the property change as you originally did? You haven't said yet. I'm sure there's only one correct way.

I think I will start from the beginning - I will delete the FSUIPC.dll and all related files from my Modules folder, everything with the name FSUIPC from the computer and every entry in the registry. Do you think it could help?

Not really. There's nothing going to be different. The first thing to do is find the files in the right place -- i.e. in the Modules folder. Grab a screen shot of your Modules folder in Explorer and show me if you are still convinced the files aren't there.

Could you please write me what entries should I try to find in the registry?

None that would make any difference. All that is entered there is a record of the date you registered. This is a check on the validity of the key -- pirated keys often have wrong dates. If the registry contained this data you'd not have the problem. And if it did it wouldn't stop you re-registering correctly as I've advised.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

I have tried what you suggested,but with no success.

Here is my Modules folder (note it is on F: harddrive) and the search result on the entire computer with the path to both log and ini files. And there is no FSUIPC.key on the entire computer...

fsuipc.png

Here is my Modules folder

Sorry, that's no use since most of the files aren't shown. Please first click on the Date heading so the files are sorted with latest ones at the top, otherwise there's no way to see what is happening, off the screen view you captured!

and the search result on the entire computer with the path to both log and ini files.

I've researched this further. There was a (much) earlier version of FSUIPC which, in order to avoid the problem of the read-only restrictions in "Program Files" on Vista and Win7, automatically made the files in the same folder as the Flight Simulator Files (i.e the place where you found them). However, the current releases move them back again, to the modules folder -- or at least they should do!

Please, tell me, have you been using FSUIPC before, i.e. an older version before 3.90? Maybe, during the registration run, the files aren't moved back for some reason. I'll cross check that here when I know the history of your FSUIPC usage.

And there is no FSUIPC.key on the entire computer...

In that case it is 100% impossible, absolutely, for FSUIPC to log your name and address in its log file, for there is no where else it ever comes from. No where, really! This means that the files you are showing, for the Log, were produced when there WAS a KEY file, but it is somehow being lost or removed.

Please delete those two FSUIPC files from the Flight Simulator Files folder. Run FS2004 "as administrator" -- in the way documented and as I have asked you to try, twice before already, and which it appears you never did (?), i.e. please, NOT in the way you said you did! The way as documented and as I have explained before in this thread. This seems to be getting ignored in every response you make.

I've deliberately deleted my own Registration here and registered with your details, on my computer, and it works okay -- so it most certainly is nothing to do with the accented character in your name.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

thank you for your help. It seems I sorted it out or at least made a workaround which works. A friend of mine created the key file with my details, which I put into the Modules folder and to the Flight Simulator Files folder, I have copied both ini and log file from Flight Simulator Files folder to the Modules folder so all four files are in both folders. And when I run FS everytime as an administrator, it is registered. Next time I run it in normal mode, it becomes unregistered again. I don´t know why. So I set fs9.exe to permanently start under administration mode, and it keeps being registered.

Strange, right? But it works.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate.

thank you for your help. It seems I sorted it out or at least made a workaround which works. A friend of mine created the key file with my details, which I put into the Modules folder and to the Flight Simulator Files folder, I have copied both ini and log file from Flight Simulator Files folder to the Modules folder so all four files are in both folders. And when I run FS everytime as an administrator, it is registered. Next time I run it in normal mode, it becomes unregistered again. I don´t know why. So I set fs9.exe to permanently start under administration mode, and it keeps being registered.

Strange, right? But it works.

Very strange. Sorry, I really don't know what's going on there. It does sound like, when not administrator, it cannot even read or find the file, or the registry. But the entries MUST have been written to the registry or it would never appear registered.

Did you ever actually try registering the way documented, and as I asked three times before? You've never once said so! :-(

Pete

Dear Peter,

Yes, I have tried registering it as documented many times, but it never worked. I´m glad it is working now, I set my Saitek Yoke via FSUIPC and it´s a dream.

Really thank you for your great support.

Maybe one more question - Can I use the buttons on the yoke to answer the Radar Contact? I have 7 for acknowledge and CTRL+1 to Tune and Contact, I consider it should work by assigning the buttons to the corresponding key/key combination. Am I right it works this way?

I´m glad it is working now, I set my Saitek Yoke via FSUIPC and it´s a dream.

Ok. Good.

Please note that if you are running FS in admin mode, I think you will also need to run any FSUIPC-client programs in Admin mode too, if they are on the same PC -- otherwise Windows stops them exchanging data.

Maybe one more question - Can I use the buttons on the yoke to answer the Radar Contact? I have 7 for acknowledge and CTRL+1 to Tune and Contact, I consider it should work by assigning the buttons to the corresponding key/key combination. Am I right it works this way?

Yes, of course. This is what I do.

Note that you'd be better off, in that case, selecting CTRL+SHIFT+... (0-9, etc) for the key combinations, in RC, to avoid possible conflicts with other programs. If you ever get IYP (Its Your Plane) you'll find its spoken RC commands translate to those key combinations too.

Regards

Pete

Yes, I have all the programs I use set as Run as Administrator, it is not only RC, but also ActiveSky, FSAcars and a little proggie for maintaining aircraft separation for AI taffic. It seems to be working this way altogether.

My setting is tested not to be in conflict with any other programs.

Thank you again for your great support and will to help solving my problem.