The simFlight Network Forums

can FSUIPC see MP over 200nm?

Hi Pete -

Thinking of the old FSNAV program which allowed multiplayer users to see each other's a/c locations worldwide. FSX & Simconnect have a built in 200nm limit. Is the actual location data available in FSX/Simconnect and can FSUIPC access it?

Thanx,

Vic

FSX & Simconnect have a built in 200nm limit. Is the actual location data available in FSX/Simconnect and can FSUIPC access it?

Is it as much as 200nm? That's only for MP, then, is it? I thought AI traffic was only generated in an area of radius 80-85 nm. I don't know about multiplayer aircraft as I've never got involved in MP at all.

FSUIPC's facilities for providing AI data are really limited to normal TCAS or local ATC use, as the tables presented are limited in size - it shows only the nearest 96 airborne aircraft in any case, up to that radius (max -- default is 40 nm). I suppose a SimConnect client program could get more for MP if its truly available.

Regards

Pete

As I understand it, the 200nm limit is hard coded into Simconnect and deals with AI & MP. Been browsing some posts in various programming forums and no one has been able to bypass it. Was thinking that Simconnect must read the raw data from somewhere and cap it. Wondered if FSUIPC knew and could access that 'somewhere'. :)

I'm guessing that Simconnect reads the raw data from the local machine but what it sends to the remote machines is capped at 200nm so the raw data is only available locally.

Thanx,

Vic

As I understand it, the 200nm limit is hard coded into Simconnect and deals with AI & MP.

I'm amazed that it's as much as 200nm for AI. No wonder it's such a frame eater in FSX -- I'm pretty sure it was much less in FS9.

Been browsing some posts in various programming forums and no one has been able to bypass it. Was thinking that Simconnect must read the raw data from somewhere and cap it. Wondered if FSUIPC knew and could access that 'somewhere'. :)

No. FSUIPC4 is acting almost entirely a SimConnect client. SimConnect was supposed to take over the whole job of application interfacing, and improve on it. I did the FSUIPC4 interface to it as a compatibility layer to get as many apps available as early as possible.

I'm guessing that Simconnect reads the raw data from the local machine but what it sends to the remote machines is capped at 200nm so the raw data is only available locally.

The SimConnect interface is identical whether its clients are running on the FSX PC or on any networked client PC. There's no difference, certainly nothing extra "locally" as you put it. Maybe you are confusing it with the TrafficInfo interface?

Regards

Pete