The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.93 Installer

I am registrated user of FSUIPC for fs2004 (and use it with great pleasure since the beginning)

This is the first time I am disappointed. I dont like an installer, because I want to decide what happens on my pc, especially where to store documents like pdfs etc.

Installation of fsuipc was really simple work in the past and I see no reason that the installer even deletes files from my pc.

What happened to Trafficlook and Weatherset?

Best regards

Hans-Guenther Schnell :(

This is the first time I am disappointed. I dont like an installer, because I want to decide what happens on my pc, especially where to store documents like pdfs etc.

Installation of fsuipc was really simple work in the past and I see no reason that the installer even deletes files from my pc.

1. I had to move to the Installer method as too many folks were getting into trouble with Vista and Win7 installations, where FS's default installation goes into Program Files folders which are protected, and where, unless they run Explorer in "elevated admin mode" they only see the aliassed folders, where changes aren't effected.

2. Similar considerations applied to the registration process, whilst from an Installer it is easy.

3. Nothing is deleted! Why do you even suspect such a thing? You can, true, remove Registration if you like (to help those who succombed to temptastion and tried using one of the pirated keys floating about), but otherwise files are only replaced, as they should be!

4. For the next release I am already planning to install the documents separately, into an "FSUIPC" folder, but this version of the installer was an urgent release because of user problems. I always try to help, not hinder. The installer is derived, quickly, from the FSUIPC4 one which has to create its own dedicated "Modules" folder in any case, so putting everything in one place was sensible.

What happened to Trafficlook and Weatherset?

All the extras and goodies are available in the Updates and Goodies Announcement here in the Forum where they've been now for years. It seemed pointless automatically lumbering folks with them in the install, especially when they remain unchanged from release to release.

The shorter explanatory document included in the ZIP does tell you this.

Regards

Pete

the fsuipc install log says:

"Deleted GlobalSign Root fix programno longer relevant

==========================================================="

thanks for the quick reply and explanations for the installer reasons ...

(I have vista 64, but I have no problems because I switched user account control "off")

regards

Hans-Guenther Schnell

the fsuipc install log says:

"Deleted GlobalSign Root fix programno longer relevant

==========================================================="

Yes, but that was just placed there just a short time beforehand so that it could automatically fix the GlobalSign root should the signature check on FSUIPC.DLL fail. The installer would automatically run that program, then re-check the signature. Either way, the program is redundant afterwards -- if you read the whole log you'll see what is actually happening. Things are a lot more sophisticated than merely copying files into as folder, and a lot more than most users will accomplish should they get into problems!

Pete