The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and mapping to buttons on complex airplanes

Hi,

I've recently bought FSUIPC and the PMDG JS4100. I am trying to program certain functions to switches on my joystick and throttle. I can do this for things like "gear up" and "flaps extend", but there are certain switches which control functions which are somewhat more "exotic".

I have looked at the pdf with all the (many) controls (codes) available to assign through FSUIPC, but it's not obvious that any will match.

So, for a product like the JS4100, do the developers tend to include functionality so that every single switch can map to one of these codes? If so, is this information easy to obtain? Is there any other way I can determine if the push of a switch is generating a code and what it is?

I hope I am getting across what I'm trying to ask (I feel as if I'm not); and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I have tried to search.

I posted at PMDG about some switches I was trying to map to buttons on my throttle but was told it wasn't possible. I didn't say I had FSUIPC though.

Thanks for any replies,

John

So, for a product like the JS4100, do the developers tend to include functionality so that every single switch can map to one of these codes?

No, hardly ever, unfortunately. The most many add-on makers do is to provide ways of assigning keystrokes to some of the cockpit facilities, but even this seems to be a rare provision these days. Have you checked? If there are usable keystrokes you can program buttons or switches to send those for you.

If so, is this information easy to obtain? Is there any other way I can determine if the push of a switch is generating a code and what it is?

If it generates an FS control, then, yes, you can determine what this is (by both name and number) by logging Events in FSUIPC's Logging tab. Look in the FSUIPC Log file after operating the switch or button. If you are using FSX you can run it in Windowed mode and have the Log displayed in real time in another window -- enable this via the "console log" button in the Logging tab.

There are two other possible methods before resorting to a mouse control program like Luciano Napolitano's "Key2Mouse":

1. Creating "mouse macros" in FSUIPC, for subsequent assignment to buttons. Several of PMDG's aircraft -- the 737 and 747 for certain -- have proven to be very amenable, in most areas, to this facility (excepting the FMC it seems). Please check the section on this subject in the FSUIPC User Guide. By all means come back with more questions if needed.

2. For FSX with FSUIPC4 only, some cockpit gauges may be using local variables, called "L:vars", for their settings. If so these can usually be read okay, and may respond to being written. The methods aren't terribly easy though. Recently a reference to a thread elsewhere was posted which may be useful to you. Let me find itah, yes, here:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie23&t=19751

Regards

Pete