The simFlight Network Forums

Migrating FSX (with FSUIPC) from WinXP to Win7

I'm in the process of migrating FSX to Win7 and FSUIPC is part of it.

Now I found two things not working:

- the menu entries for loading flights below the FSUIPC entry in Addon menu

- the profile sections for a group of planes (I have several of them, like SingleProp, TwinProp, TwinTurboProp etc.)

under WinXP this FUIPC.ini file worked just fine.

I'm only starting to analyse the problem and most probably I made some mistake, but maybe you have an idear what could be wrong to give me a shortcut.

Migration was done like this:

- installed clean FSX/Acc and acivated it

- renamed FSX directory, copied my old installation to the original name

( :!: when you do this it's possible that you have to activate write-permission for your FSX directory, I tried to edit an aircraft.ini file only to see that I couldn't save it until I set write-permission)

- copied all the config-directories to their new place (a pain :( )

- started FSX, worked fine, but FSUIPC was deactivated

- reinstalled FSUIPC, activated it, copied newest beta to Modules folder

- Checked controller nameing ( :!: this can be different between WinXP and Win7 )

- deleted all axis and button settings for all controllers in FSX itself (only keeping POV for view)

So in the end:

- global buttons worked just fine (I have long list of it, with all bells and whistles, like conditions...)

- global axis setting worked fine

- no menu entries for loading flights

- all profiles are dead. (I checked the log, the loaded plane is shown, the spelling is correct as in the profile, yet the profile is not active)

This evening I will go on and install FSUIPC again from scratch, then building a test profile by the book

I'm in the process of migrating FSX to Win7 and FSUIPC is part of it.

Now I found two things not working

I use FSX and FSUIPC4 on Windows 7. There is nothing different in FSUIPC whether on XP, Vista or Win7.

- the menu entries for loading flights below the FSUIPC entry in Addon menu

- the profile sections for a group of planes (I have several of them, like SingleProp, TwinProp, TwinTurboProp etc.)

under WinXP this FUIPC.ini file worked just fine.

Neither of those will be any different if you use the same FSUIPC4.INI file as you had before.

Migration was done like this:

- installed clean FSX/Acc and acivated it

- renamed FSX directory, copied my old installation to the original name

( :!: when you do this it's possible that you have to activate write-permission for your FSX directory, I tried to edit an aircraft.ini file only to see that I couldn't save it until I set write-permission)

It sounds like you let FSX install into its default place, in "Program Files". I think that's a big mistake with Vista or Win7, as every folder in Program Files is write-protected against normal user access. You need elevated Administrator privileges to access it. Installers have these privileges automatically, but other programs only get them by selecting "Run As Administrator" from their right-click menus. Just being the administrator isn't enough.

- no menu entries for loading flights

- all profiles are dead. (I checked the log, the loaded plane is shown, the spelling is correct as in the profile, yet the profile is not active)

The extra FSUIPC menu entries are enabled by checking the appropriate FSUIPC options. If the profile system isn't working too, it is sounding like some or all of your FSUIPC4.INI [General] section parameters have defaulted. The profile systems is enabled/disabled by one parameter in the [general] section. And of course it also needs the Profiles listed as well.

Seems to me you have a corrupted INI file. Try copying the original back.

Changes in joystick assignments would have been best dealt with by using the facilities provided in FSUIPC for this -- assigning letters to each device instead of using their system-assigned numbers. Then the changes you need to do are either eliminated completely, or reduced to minor adjustments in the [joynames] section.

This evening I will go on and install FSUIPC again from scratch, then building a test profile by the book

Not sure why you'd want to throw all your presumably good settings away.

I repeat, there is absolutely no difference in how these things work in XP, vista or win7. The code is not affected in any way, not in the slightest. Your problems all seem to emanate from changes in the INI file.

Regards

Pete

I use FSX and FSUIPC4 on Windows 7. There is nothing different in FSUIPC whether on XP, Vista or Win7.

That assures me that I will get it right in the end.

It sounds like you let FSX install into its default place

No I didn't, but I copied my full FSX folder from it's original disk to a new one. So I inherited the old user-rights from XP.

Seems to me you have a corrupted INI file. Try copying the original back.

Changes in joystick assignments would have been best dealt with by using the facilities provided in FSUIPC for this -- assigning letters to each device instead of using their system-assigned numbers. Then the changes you need to do are either eliminated completely, or reduced to minor adjustments in the [joynames] section.

I'll check the [general] section, maybe it's gone down the drain.

I use the mapping facility already, and for my global settings, it's still working.

Not sure why you'd want to throw all your presumably good settings away.

No I won't :mrgreen: . I keep backups of it whenever I make changes to it and I still have the original untampered disk...

I repeat, there is absolutely no difference in how these things work in XP, vista or win7.

Thats what I expected, so I can concentrate on my fooling with the INI file.

In fact, I did some testing with the Win7RC, and there FSUIPC worked flawlessly.

When I'm done, I will post it here.

Thanks for your clarifications and help.

In fact, I did some testing with the Win7RC, and there FSUIPC worked flawlessly.

Ah. I've only got RC installations -- three Ultimate 64-bit RCs. I'm still waiting for my MVP copy of the release version. However, I can't see how they could have mucked anything up that would affect FSUIPC in any way.

When I'm done, I will post it here.

Thanks.

Regards

Pete

...it works. :mrgreen:

Somehow my [General] section got messed up :oops:

I let FSUIPC generate a default FSUIPC.ini, assigned a single axis, this gave me the [JoyNames] section.

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters	=No
--->from new ini
0=WingMan Formula Force GP
1=CH Throttle Quadrant USB
2=Saitek X52 Flight Controller
3=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
4=Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

---> old ini
0	=WingMan Formula Force GP
1	=CH Throttle Quadrant USB
2	=Saitek X52 Flight Control System
3	=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
4	=Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

S	=Saitek X52 Flight Control System
W	=Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP USB
P	=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
T	=CH Throttle Quadrant USB
C	=Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

As you can see the naming changed a bit, so I changed it to

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters	=No
0=WingMan Formula Force GP
1=CH Throttle Quadrant USB
2=Saitek X52 Flight Controller
3=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
4=Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

S	=Saitek X52 Flight Controller
W	=WingMan Formula Force GP
P	=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
T	=CH Throttle Quadrant USB
C	=Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

and used this in my old ini file which I copied from my old Modules folder into the new Modules folder...

...and thats all, works as before :D

Thanks Pete, for your help.

Regards

Christian