The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient won't connect with second IP Address

Hi Peter,

recently I have been testing FSXpand and in order to run the server and client programs on the same (non FS) computer, I have to add a second IP address on the PC where it runs.

However, if I have the second IP address added, Wideclient cannot connect to FSX but when I remove the second IP address again, Wideclient can start. Then, after successfully starting Wideclient, I can add the second IP address again and get FSXpand working.

Does Wideclient have a problem with a second IP address on a client machine?

thanks,

Ryan.

recently I have been testing FSXpand and in order to run the server and client programs on the same (non FS) computer, I have to add a second IP address on the PC where it runs.

On two separate Network devices? Or on one? If one the one device, how do you do that? And why can't they talk locally using the normal special local IP address -- 127.0.0.1, named "localhost"? That's the usual way to do that. That's how SimConnect connects with its clients on the same PC as FSX, for example.

However, if I have the second IP address added, WideClient cannot connect to FSX but when I remove the second IP address again, WideClient can start. Then, after successfully starting Wideclient, I can add the second IP address again and get FSXpand working.

Does Wideclient have a problem with a second IP address on a client machine?

I don't see why it should. It's a client, so it never needs to know and never uses the PCs IP address -- it only has to find the IP address for the Server, the FS PC, and then only for the TCP and UDP protocols, not IPX.

Maybe the problem you are seeing is the other way around -- the Server broadcasts not being seen? Have you tried telling the client the ServerName or ServerIPAddr explicitly, in the WideClient INI file? If you do this you need to specify the Protocol too.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Peter.

I add the second IP address on the same interface by clicking the advanced button on the TCP/IP config dialog. This allows me to type in more IP addresses and subnet masks.

Apparently, this must be done to allow FSXpand and FSClient to run on the same machine - in which case, they are using FSUIPC (via WideFS) to talk to FSX which is on another machine. Each program must be assigned its own IP address and will not start unless it has them. Thus the localhost IP address is not enough.

I have configured Wideclient to use TCP and it addresses the FSX server PC via the hostname.

regards,

Ryan.

I add the second IP address on the same interface by clicking the advanced button on the TCP/IP config dialog. This allows me to type in more IP addresses and subnet masks.

Oh, right. I didn't know that. I also don't understand why, what it could possibly do for you.

Apparently, this must be done to allow FSXpand and FSClient to run on the same machine - in which case, they are using FSUIPC (via WideFS) to talk to FSX which is on another machine. Each program must be assigned its own IP address and will not start unless it has them.

Weird. I've no idea why.

Thus the localhost IP address is not enough.

Why not, I wonder? Everything else which needs to talk to a local program seems to be fine.

I have configured Wideclient to use TCP and it addresses the FSX server PC via the hostname.

Yes, but WideClient asks Windows to convert that to an IP address before it can use it. WideClient never needs to know any IP addresses on the local PC.

Sorry, I've no idea why it won't connect. Maybe it is something to do with the Server end, selecting the wrong IP address. How does Windows in the client know which of the two IP addresses to use when talking to the other PC? There's no way I know for the client to select one -- that's only done in the "bind" call, which is a function of the Server, not the Client.

Maybe this is something the FSXpand guys can help with?

Incidentally, there's no problem with having WideClient and FS with WideServer running on the same PC. You have to change the ClassInstance parameter in the Client INI file, else the "FS98MAIN" class Window is used and only one of those is allowed. I used this trick a lot to test and develop things like the ButtonScreen, where no Client application is actually connecting in any case. For that, again, all that is needed in the client INI is the name or IP address of the current PC.

Makes me wonder what the FSXpand programs do in order to require these separate IP addresses. Have yuo asked the authors about this?

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I don't really know why both programs need to be assigned their own IP address but that is what their manual instructs.

I didn't fully understand initially your point about using the localhost IP address - but if I understand correctly now - you mean that if I assign FSXpand (the server part) with the actual IP interface address and then assign the localhost IP address to FSClient (the client part), then it should work..? That would make sense alright. No need to configure a second IP address on the ethernet adapter.

In any case, I can follow up with the FSXpand support guys.

thanks for your help,

Ryan.

... you mean that if I assign FSXpand (the server part) with the actual IP interface address and then assign the localhost IP address to FSClient (the client part), then it should work..? That would make sense alright. No need to configure a second IP address on the ethernet adapter.

That's what I was hoping, yes.

Regards

Pete