The simFlight Network Forums

Control FS2004 GPS via custom hardware

Hello all,

I am developing some hardware to build a home cockpit of a simple C172.

So far, everything done is working fine through FSUIPC and my drivers. However I have now reached a big wall to jump over (if possible).

In fact, I am using the Garmin 500 gps (from fs2004) in a separate window (via undock) and want to control it via some buttons and encoders that I mounted in my panel.

The hardware is functionning well and communications between my hardware and my software are good.

The problem is between my software and FSUIPC... I can't find any offset to control the gps buttons. Am i missing something? Because I see that it is possible to control the gps via the computer keyboard keys defined directly inside FSUIPC. What I want is to control the gps just like I control the lights; via an offset in FSUIPC.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much.

Best regards to all,

Emmanuel.

The problem is between my software and FSUIPC... I can't find any offset to control the gps buttons.

Buttons and switches in FS are mostly controlled by FS controls, not by "offsets", which are primarily for providing or setting values inside the sim engine.

There is a range of GPS controls (all starting with the letters "GPS") provided by FS but I've a feeling not all of them work. You would have to test them, see how you get on.

Am i missing something? Because I see that it is possible to control the gps via the computer keyboard keys defined directly inside FSUIPC.

Erso you've tried them? You can assign to buttons as well as keys you know. It's another Tab in the FSUIPC options ("Buttons & Switches").

What I want is to control the gps just like I control the lights; via an offset in FSUIPC.

You can send any FS or FSUIPC controls via offset 3110.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you very much for your answer! Very instructive.

I just solved my issue and now I can control all the gps Garmin 500 buttons, from my hardware.

In fact and as you said, it's a matter of sending the desired control number to the offset 0x3110.

Thank you very much for your help and work.

Best regards,

Emmanuel.