The simFlight Network Forums

No WideServer connection

Hello Peter,

a familiar story to you, I'm sure...

WideServer: waiting for clients

WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a connection

The server is a Windows 7 PC running FS9.

The client is a Vista laptop.

After a couple of hours trying to get this going, I don't know where I am any more.

Maybe the following ini files and logs will shed some light.

You'll find

IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

in the WideServer.log

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

* The WideServer.ini

; PLEASE SEE the documentation for parameter details

; ==================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

AdvertiseService=1

AutoRestart=0

AutoUpdateTime=13

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

Port2=9002

RestartTime=10

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

* The WideServer log

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.75] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 12/11/09, Time 20:32:58.740: Server name is FRITZ

36551 Initialising TCP/IP server

36566 Initialising IPX/SPX server

36566 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

36566 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

36566 Initialising UDP/IP server

38282 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

48048 Restarting service due to total lack of use

48048 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

* The WideClient .ini

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

* The WideClient.log

********* WideClient Log [version 6.75] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 12/11/09, Time 18:51:17.834: Client name is MATAI

967 Attempting to connect now

1981 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1981 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

4024 Attempting to connect now

69248 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

a familiar story to you, I'm sure...

Generally only because folks don't bother to read the documentation and therefore don't make sure the WorkGroup names are the same on both PCs, and can't be assed to use the workaround if they don't want their PCs in one workgroup. This continues to happen, I'm sorry to say, even though I put a notice in RED in the document, in the most important section, thus:

Configure your Network

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS TO READ AT LEAST PART OF THIS!

Amazingly folks find it easier and quicker (?) to post their problems here rather than simply look! :-(

After a couple of hours trying to get this going, I don't know where I am any more.

Didn't you even think of looking at the supplied documentation?

You'll find

IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

in the WideServer.log

Of course, because you haven't installed IPX (you don't need to if you don't want to use it, it is optional).

There's no point in showing me INI files that are standard and unmodified. Assuming you have no firewall blockage, the Logs simply show there's no connection, and this is almost certainly because you have the two PCs in different workgroups (as usual). :-(

Please please please, read the first few paragraphs, at least, of the "Configure your Network" section of the user guide. After all it does follow immediately on from the Installation section. Surely it isn't too hard to find?

Pete

Hello Pete,

I hear your frustration - sorry about that.

But I had read your installation instructions and understood them,

apart from some of the networking detail.

I've been using WideFS for a couple of years and was able to install it before without any

special configuration. This is a reinstallation, however, where Windows 7 is my FS PC and Vista my client.

As you say, the problem lies in that they are not in the same Workgroup. That's why I haven't yet

experimented with some of the network setup suggestions in your documentation.

As you probably know, Windows 7 lets you set up a 'Homegroup' rather than a Workgroup.

A Homegroup will network only with another Windows 7 Homegroup.

I already have file sharing set up between the two PCs, but maybe that's not enough for WideFS to communicate.

So I'll play around with specifying a ServerName/Protocol in the client ini, and/or work out how to

get Vista and Windows 7 thinking they are in the same Workgroup/Homegroup.

And I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Geoff

It turns out that Windows 7 runs the older Vista workgroup functionality in parallel with the new Homegroup.

I had assume the latter had replaced the former.

Having stumbled on the fact that my Windows 7 PC actually had a workgroup name, the rest was easy. I just changed the

default workgroup name to that of my Vista PC and I now have a connection.

Thanks for pointing out that it was probably a workgroup problem.

Cheers Pete,

Geoff

As you probably know, Windows 7 lets you set up a 'Homegroup' rather than a Workgroup.

A Homegroup will network only with another Windows 7 Homegroup.

Yes. Damned nuisance that. You'd think they'd provide a HomeGroup package to apply to Vista and XP.

I already have file sharing set up between the two PCs, but maybe that's not enough for WideFS to communicate.

Oh yes it is! In fact WideFS doesn't use any filesharing at all, so it doesn't even need that! It is only the Broadcasting over a network which only works on the WorkGroup. The Server uses Broadcasting to tell all possible clients, in the workgroup, where it is. You can always do what folks always had to do, before Broadcasting was introduced by Microsoft, and tell the client what the Server in and what Protocol to use. This is explicitly stated in the section I just pointed you at!!!

So I'll play around with specifying a ServerName/Protocol in the client ini, and/or work out how to

get Vista and Windows 7 thinking they are in the same Workgroup/Homegroup.

Oh dear. :-( You do NOT need to do both! The parameter additions are the work-around if you don't want your PCs in the same workgroup! Until WinXP you always had to provide the ServerName and Protocol to the client in any case, I just took advantage of new facilities in XP and later for automatic operation, but took the precaution of leaving in the original method AND highlighting both with a RED pointer in the document.

I'm really at a loss to know how to help folks any more than that! If UI supplied disks I'd plaster it in big red print on the packaging with black and yellow radiation warnings to grab attention!

And in any case, setting the workgroup name is as easy as setting the computer name. It is in the Computer Properties. Forget homeGroups, that isn't anything to do with WideFs. That's to do with file and media sharing.

Pete