The simFlight Network Forums

Any FLYPFC users here?

I have the Cirrus II Unit with Avionics stack for FlyPfc.

I have never noticed the Maker lights on the top of the Avionics Stack come on in FSX, even though I have that option checked in PFC settings and I do intercept the makers on approach to an airport in FSX, as I hear the beep from marker in FSX.

Just wondering is this doesn't work in FSX?

TIA

Phil

I have never noticed the Maker lights on the top of the Avionics Stack come on in FSX, even though I have that option checked in PFC settings and I do intercept the makers on approach to an airport in FSX, as I hear the beep from marker in FSX. Just wondering is this doesn't work in FSX?

If FSX beeps, the lights should flash. There's no difference between FS9 and FSX in this regard. They each flash at different intervals.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for reply and info.

Well that is interesting,

That could mean be lights have blown, hmm,

I know there is a Test one can run within the PFC module although I am not sure if that tests the Avionics Stack.

I have to read the manual and see if there is a way of testing them, without having to take off back cover etc of stack to check globes.

Cheers

Phil

Seems unlikely. What version of the PFC or PFCFSX DLL are you using?

I know there is a Test one can run within the PFC module although I am not sure if that tests the Avionics Stack.

PFC can supply test programs I think. But if you hang on a day or two I'll have a look to see if I can log the O M I actions specifically via the driver. I'm afraid I no longer have the serial port avionics with the O M I lights to test here, and I am a bit tied up today. Maybe I've messed them up in some update to my software.

Do you have both FS9 and FSX? If so can you check on the other Sim please?

Oh, can you give me a couple of Lat/Lons, or at least runways, where there definitely are Marker beacons in FSX? I don't think there are so many compared to FS9. I assume this reflects a real world decline in their use?

Regards

Pete

Seems unlikely. What version of the PFC or PFCFSX DLL are you using?

PFC can supply test programs I think. But if you hang on a day or two I'll have a look to see if I can log the O M I actions specifically via the driver. I'm afraid I no longer have the serial port avionics with the O M I lights to test here, and I am a bit tied up today. Maybe I've messed them up in some update to my software.

Okay Pete take your time.

Do you have both FS9 and FSX? If so can you check on the other Sim please?

Have not got FS9 installed, but I shall install it and test it out.

Oh, can you give me a couple of Lat/Lons, or at least runways, where there definitely are Marker beacons in FSX? I don't think there are so many compared to FS9. I assume this reflects a real world decline in their use?

Sure, YMML and YSSY in Australia have them, I get the exact Lat and Long and let you know.

Thanks Phil

Regards

Pete

You missed this:

What version of the PFC or PFCFSX DLL are you using?

If not the latest from the Updates & Goodies announcement above, could you try that, please?

Sure, YMML and YSSY in Australia have them, I get the exact Lat and Long and let you know.

Just runway numbers would do, but I'll go there and check. I only have the default FSX scenery for Australia though.

Regards

Pete

Okay. It all seems to work fine here. I don't have a PFC device with the LEDs, but I traced through to the place where it sends the commands to the PFC controller to turn them on and off, and it definitely does that when there's an active marker signal.

There are other conditions that must be satisfied for any flashing to occur, but as these mostly apply to the whole avionics stack I assume these are satisfied when yo do your test. They are:

FS Master Battery switch on

FS Avionics switch on

No electrical failure reported by FS.

Anyway, to help investigate, I've added an offset in FSUIPC which monitors which PFC lights should be flashing. Look in the Updates and Goodies Announcement above and scroll down someways: you'll see the details. Download PFCFSX.DLL version 4.351 and copy that to the FSX Modules folder. In FSUIPC Logging, enable Monitoring of that offset (3BCE) as type U16, with a Hex display, then check the "normal log" and "fs display" options below. You should see on screen the value changing when the markers are activated. Assuming nothing else is set to flash you should see 0x0010 for Outer, 0x0020 for Middle, and 0x0040 for Inner.

[LATER EDIT] I've had to remove this extra action, to 3BCE, because I found that offset already used. It seems it is irrelevant now as you have located your problem in anyt case.

For further proof, if you enable the serial COM logging in the Test tab of the PFC options, the log should show the correct commands being sent to the hardware. The log will get very quick very fast, so if you think I ought to check it, only do this logging whilst you know you are receiving a marker beacon, and then only for a short time -- a few beeps. Zip the file and send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

If you can get a test program from PFC, so much the better. It might be a lot easier. Note that I would doubt that all three bulbs or LEDS would fail together -- it is more likely to be a loose connection to that sub-board.

Regards

Pete