The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.93 installer Windows 98 compatibility

Hi guys,

I'm new to simflight - thought I'd come direct to get the right answers.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm considering registering/paying for my recently downloaded FSUIPC 3.93 for FS9 (in the hope of removing the wind shifts amongst other things) and I tried running the installer on my Windows 98 (yes, Windows 98... :oops: ) FS PC... and it failed to do anything :? . Of course, I am wondering initially is it compatible with 98, I thought it was compatible with all MS Os's - as I read somewhere written by Pete?

Hopefully it is. If not, do all FSUIPC versions have the capability to remove wind shifts? And how much better is this version compared to earlier FS9 versions?

Thanks in advance.

I tried running the installer on my Windows 98 (yes, Windows 98... :oops: ) FS PC... and it failed to do anything

Please describe exactly what you mean by "failed to do anything". What actually happened?

Of course, I am wondering initially is it compatible with 98

Yes, of course, it should be. It is standard Wndows code, compiled using the same compiler as FSUIPC3 itself.

Hopefully it is. If not, do all FSUIPC versions have the capability to remove wind shifts? And how much better is this version compared to earlier FS9 versions?

It is better certainly in the sense that I will not support older versions.

Let me know more about the problem and we'll fix it.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.

I must say, product support for FSUIPC is better than some payware one's. Indeed, some don't even have a forum, so respect goes out to you for this. :)

I'm going to have another go later, but the problem I'm describing was, when I clicked on the installer icon in the folder in to which it was extracted, the time glass icon appeared for no more than a second. I then waited but nothing happened, contrary to what I expected... :(

It's probably just me. I will try again later today and keep you posted.

Cheers.

Meanwhile I do actually have one PC left with Win98 as a Dual Boot O/S, so I'll try it on that later today (assuming it powers up -- haven't used is for months! ).

Okay .. it did boot up and I get the same symptoms as you. I don't know why yet, but I will find out and fix it.

Meanwhile, you can still install manually. Download the latest increment from the "Updates and Goodies" announcement above, and put the FSUIPC.DLL into the FS Modules folder. You won't have the latest documentation, but I'll get the Installer updated ready for the next main User release -- hopefully this year! ;-0

Regards

Pete

... I get the same symptoms as you. I don't know why yet, but I will find out and fix it.

Found and fixed. One of the windows facilities I have to use to set the FS modules folder permissions in Vista and Win7 didn't exist before WinNT/XP and I hadn't dynamically linked to it. The fix was simple enough, but i don't understand why Windows merely closed the App without reporting the problem. Oh well.

If you want you can download the fixed version, at 3.93 level but installing 3.949 instead. I've not updated the docs yet for the next version. Use this link:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/Install_FSUIPC3949.zip

Regards

Pete

Cheers Pete!

Thanks so much for looking into that! :) I'll get that installed asap. I will be registering it too.

Long live FSUIPC and people like you I say, who help keep the flight simming community the way it should be (and of course for helping to make it really 'as real as it gets'and being British :D )

I'll post back when I next get round to installing it.

(God damn Windows 98... :cry: )

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
I know it's been a while, but just to let you know version 3.949 installs fine on my old 98 system!

Okay, but it is now out of date and not supported. The current main release is 3.96 with an improved version 3.965 already available in the Updates and other Goodies announcement above.

Regards

Pete