The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS overloading?

Hi all,

I'm building a home cockpit for an ATR72.

Everything is going fine but today i found a problem i am not able to surpass :(

I have 1 computer with FS9 and 2 others that display gauges via widefs.

When i start 1 gauge (HSI for example) everything goes smoothly... then i run a second gauge (PFD for example) and everything is still nice.

Then i start the 3rd gauge (altimeter for example) and the gauges all start glitching from time to time, like every 5 seconds.

As soon as i run the 4th gauge every gauge starts acting like crazy and then stop working after 10 or 15 seconds.

This happens with every gauges i can get, on both computers.

Can someone explain to me what i am doing wrong or if there is some parameters on widefs i have to tweek?

Best regards,

Carlos

This happens with every gauges i can get, on both computers.

This must be something related to the gauges themselves. You don't say what software they are using, but it seems they don't work well together.

Can someone explain to me what i am doing wrong or if there is some parameters on widefs i have to tweek?

There's nothing you should tweak in WideFS. It has reached its current optimised settings over many years. I use 8 computers on my system with many programs on each one, and they all maintain the FS frame rate.

You don't say anything about what these gauges are or how they are driven, but it sounds like each one is trying to keep control to the detriment of the next. Or they all try to use hardware accelerated windows and you don't have the right hardware or drivers for that.

Do the gauge suppliers have any support?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually i'm using this gauges for the ATR: http://digilander.libero.it/washburn_it/8417/index.html

When i got this problems i started trying anyone of this: http://flightdecksoft.com/software/

But still the result is always the same... after running the 3rd gauges they all freeze from time to time, and after the 4th gauge everything os going crazy and stop responding.

starting to feel desperate like nothing works...

I even changed all my LAN components (even the network adapters on each PC) but same results :(

Thanks again for your help Pete, kind regards

Carlos

Actually i'm using this gauges for the ATR: http://digilander.libero.it/washburn_it/8417/index.html

Sorry, I don't have time to follow links in order to understand. Is this ATR one with FSUIPC-connecting gauges?

When i got this problems i started trying anyone of this: http://flightdecksoft.com/software/

Sorry, I don't understand. You had problems with some ATR gauges and then you used someone elses software and have worse problems?

Thanks again for your help Pete, kind regards

I really cannot help unless you explain even just a little of what you are doing. nothing you said explains anything. Are you sure you are in the right place? I sounds to me as if you need the support of whoever's software components you are using.

Regards

Pete

Hello again,

The ATR gauges are single application gauges wich connects through FSUIPC.

Each gauge is a single application.

For me to have to captain side screen i need 5 of them on the same screen.

When i run more than 2 applications the gauges start freezing, and it gets worse each time i increase the number of gauges running at the same PC.

In order to try finding where the problem was coming from, i tried to use gauges from a different producer to see if the problem persists. And it did.

The same thing is happening with completly different gauges. So i think the problem is not from the gauges.

Kind regards,

Carlos

The ATR gauges are single application gauges wich connects through FSUIPC.

Each gauge is a single application.

I think that can be a problem, depending on how they are written. They need to be written in a cooperative way in terms of access via WideClient. If one monopolises the access the others will suffer. See if they include a polling rate or delay parameter and slow each one down to the FS frame rate, or 25 fps at most (40 mSecs per poll). If that works, try reducing the delay (or increasing the poll rate) as little at a time till you get the stuttering, then retreat a little. If you have no means of doing this then perhaps you'd need to contact the author to get him to change the way they operate.

For me to have to captain side screen i need 5 of them on the same screen.

When i run more than 2 applications the gauges start freezing, and it gets worse each time i increase the number of gauges running at the same PC.

Are these gauges intended to be used in this way? Have they been tested this way by the author? If so then I suggest you talk to the author about what the problem might be. Possibly the PC they are using isn't adequate? Or they are using OpenGL or DirectX windows and only one of these is being hardware accelerated because of the inadequate operating system, video card or video drivers?

If one of them is using the processor more than 50% then obviously the second will get less than it wants, and so on until they are locked out entirely. Video processing could do that as well as uncooperatively written programs.

In order to try finding where the problem was coming from, i tried to use gauges from a different producer to see if the problem persists. And it did.

The same thing is happening with completely different gauges. So i think the problem is not from the gauges.

In that case, if these programs are meant to be used in this way, it is more than likely to be your hardware or the video drivers. It is not likely to be the Networking side of things if you get good data rates normally, with one application. However, do check the WideClient log file to see if any errors are being reported.

Regards

Pete