The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Queries

Hi Peter,

I have a few questions regarding the PFC module for my Cirrus II console running on windows XP and FSX.

1. Is there a way to disable the console if I want to use FSX without it?

2. The Anti-Ice switch on my console does not seem to control the anti-ice systems on the Real Air Simulations B60. Can you advise on what I should do next to investigate it? Should I contact the RAS people first? MAybe find out if there is an offset available?

3. When I run X-Plane with my Cirrus II, I am able to use the aileron and trim (potentiometer) switches i.e. they are visible in software - I am able to view and calibrate their settings from within X-Plane. I think I had previously read in the PFC module documentation that they were purely hardware switches i.e. attenuating/amplifying the signal from the console yoke (and PFC rudder - if attached - which I don't) controls. If this is not the case, can they be supported by the PFC module?

thanks,

Ryan.

1. Is there a way to disable the console if I want to use FSX without it?

All of it? most won't be influencing anything unless you actually press/change switches or move things. keep controls centred or parked and they do nothing.

Or disable the axes in the Quadrants and Flight controls section.

Or simply remove the PFC DLL from the modules folder.

2. The Anti-Ice switch on my console does not seem to control the anti-ice systems on the Real Air Simulations B60. Can you advise on what I should do next to investigate it? Should I contact the RAS people first? MAybe find out if there is an offset available?

Their anti-ice may not be one related to anything in FS. You could try programming the switch in FSUIPC instead if you know how to do it. what PFC.DLL version are you using?

3. When I run X-Plane with my Cirrus II, I am able to use the aileron and trim (potentiometer) switches i.e. they are visible in software - I am able to view and calibrate their settings from within X-Plane. I think I had previously read in the PFC module documentation that they were purely hardware switches i.e. attenuating/amplifying the signal from the console yoke (and PFC rudder - if attached - which I don't) controls. If this is not the case, can they be supported by the PFC module?

Sorry, I don't have anything for X-Plane.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding point 1 - if I just leave the console controls centred etc then will that not keep overriding control inputs from other sources? Also, the switches such as ignition, alternator etc. on the console will over-ride settings from other sources. So there is no overall disable option on the PFC module?

Regarding point 2 - I'll try programming it using FSUIPC - thanks.

Regarding point 3 - the question was not about X-Plane - I was just using it as an example of how the positions of the aileron and rudder trim on the console are available in software so my question was, can this be supported also in your PFC module?

I am using the latest version of the PFC module.

thanks,

Ryan.

Regarding point 1 - if I just leave the console controls centred etc then will that not keep overriding control inputs from other sources?

They shouldn't do. I believe they only provide inputs when moved -- unless they jitter, but then a reasonable centre zone should prevent that. Anyway, if any do you merely have to uncheck it in the appropriate Options tab.

Also, the switches such as ignition, alternator etc. on the console will over-ride settings from other sources. So there is no overall disable option on the PFC module?

No. Why have the module installed if it is supposed to discard all of its inputs? You can, however, reassign them in FSUIPC.

Regarding point 3 - the question was not about X-Plane - I was just using it as an example of how the positions of the aileron and rudder trim on the console are available in software so my question was, can this be supported also in your PFC module?

If the rudder and aileron trim built into your console are directly wired to affect the readings from those axes, and not feed any data to the program over the interface, then obviously they cannot be handled inthe PC. There are such facilities in the PFC module, as you will see if you look at the options or documentation* -- I use them on my PFC 737NG cockpit -- but I cannot work miracles. If they are merely local to the unit, you would have to have your unit modified by PFC, if that is possible, if you wanted those controls to feed into FS (or, indeed, X-plane).

(* See the section headed "Flight Controls and Trims/Steering Pages")

I am using the latest version of the PFC module.

I am sorry, but that answer is rather meaningless. The latest you saw? I've had folks saying that using very old versions simply because thery'd never noticed a later one. And for FS9 or FSX? (they are different versions). Please always give version numbers -- that is what they are for, to identify versions.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

just to follow up:

Why have the module installed if it is supposed to discard all of its inputs?

That's because I don't want to use the PFC console **every** time I use FSX - so having to un-install/re-install the module every other day would be over-kill in my opinion.

If the rudder and aileron trim built into your console are directly wired to affect the readings from those axes, and not feed any data to the program over the interface, then obviously they cannot be handled inthe PC.

I think I might not have explained myself correctly here. What I was trying to say was that based on the behaviour I see in X-Plane, the rudder and aileron trim controls are **not** hard-wired into the aileron and rudder controls but are available to be read separately in software over the interface. So, if this is the case, can your PFC module support this? I will look further into the documentation as you suggest also.

I am sorry, but that answer is rather meaningless. The latest you saw? I've had folks saying that using very old versions simply because thery'd never noticed a later one. And for FS9 or FSX? (they are different versions). Please always give version numbers -- that is what they are for, to identify versions.

Sorry - my answer was vague alright. I am using PFC module version 4.34 for FSX.

thanks again,

Ryan.

That's because I don't want to use the PFC console **every** time I use FSX - so having to un-install/re-install the module every other day would be over-kill in my opinion.

But moving a module in and out of a folder is probably a lot simpler and faster than selecting an option in a menu, even assuming I could provide such an option without a re-write. Or, another way, would be to simply pull the plug out of the unit -- power or serial connection.

I think I might not have explained myself correctly here. What I was trying to say was that based on the behaviour I see in X-Plane, the rudder and aileron trim controls are **not** hard-wired into the aileron and rudder controls but are available to be read separately in software over the interface. So, if this is the case, can your PFC module support this? I will look further into the documentation as you suggest also.

If they are proper PFC axes then yes, of course. They are available for enabling and calibrating like any other axes in the flight controls and trims page. I'm rather surprised you've never looked?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

But moving a module in and out of a folder is probably a lot simpler and faster than selecting an option in a menu, even assuming I could provide such an option without a re-write. Or, another way, would be to simply pull the plug out of the unit -- power or serial connection.

Actually unplugging would be very easy to do. Regarding removing the module manually - will I loose all my settings?

If they are proper PFC axes then yes, of course. They are available for enabling and calibrating like any other axes in the flight controls and trims page. I'm rather surprised you've never looked?

Great! I must have been mislead by the following statement in the user guide:

"Also please note that the Rudder Trim knob on the consoles (but not in the cockpit) is a hardware trimming device and only applies to rudders actually connected through the console, not those connected to a Game Port or USB input."

So is this incorrect? In any case, I should have checked!

Thanks,

Ryan.

Actually unplugging would be very easy to do. Regarding removing the module manually - will I loose all my settings?

No. Leave the PFD.INI file in place, all your settings are in that one file.

"Also please note that the Rudder Trim knob on the consoles (but not in the cockpit) is a hardware trimming device and only applies to rudders actually connected through the console, not those connected to a Game Port or USB input."

So is this incorrect? In any case, I should have checked!

It was certainly correct in all of the consoles I've seen, excepting the one fitted into my 737NG cockpit. If PFC have made new models with differences in the many years since I designed the driver and wrote the documentation, then they haven't told me so I can modify that documentation. Without actually coming over to your house and trying it I wouldn't be able to tell. I think you have to try it.

Regards

Pete