The simFlight Network Forums

FSX crashes after connecting WideFS - Please help...

I bought WideFS 7, installed and registred WideFS on the FSX PC. The AddOn will be shown in the Menu "AddOns"

If i start the Client on the remote PC, it says "connected" and at the same time the fsx is stopping responding. The only way to get fsx to work again is to close it via task Manager and restart it.

Does anyone know this issue and a way to solve it ???

Thanks in Advance.

Greeting from Germany

ReneFFM

If i start the Client on the remote PC, it says "connected" and at the same time the fsx is stopping responding. The only way to get fsx to work again is to close it via task Manager and restart it.

I've never heard of that happening before. It sounds like the network software on the FSX PC is not responding for some reason. Or else it is something to do with an application. Does it happen immediately you run WideClient or after you run some WideClient applications? OR do you have something else running on the Client PC first, before you run WideClient? It is possible for applications to hang or crash FS when they have access.

I really need information, as always. Version numbers first please: version of WideClient, version of FSUIPC, update state of FSX, and Windows versions on both PCs. Not "latest" please, but numbers.

There will be a WideClient log file in the WideClient folder on the client PC and WideServer.log and FSUIPC4.log files in the Modules folder of the FSX installation. Please show me all three.

Can I also assume you have not changed anything in any INI file?

Regards

Pete

WideClient Version is 6.78

Logfile:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.78] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 13/01/10, Time 18:20:00.314: Client name is ACER
      187 Attempting to connect now
     1750 Trying TCP/IP host "arbzi" port 8002 ...
     1750Okay, IP Address = 192.168.220.117
     2640 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused
     2640 Ready to try connection again
     3687 Attempting to connect now
     8656 Connection made okay!
    20625 Error on client post-Connection Select() [Error=10053] Software caused connection abort
    20625 Connection closed by server!
    20625 The connection was terminated due to a time-out or other failure!
    20640 Attempting to connect now

21671 ****** End of session performance summary ******
    21671 Total time connected = 12 seconds
    21671 Reception maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    21671 Reception average whilst connected:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    21671 Transmission maximum:  0 frames/sec, 12 bytes/sec
    21671 Transmission average whilst connected:  0 frames/sec, 27 bytes/sec
    21671 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 1, Send frames lost = 0

21671 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 6 Freed 6 Refused 0) *********

WideClient.ini:

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details
; =====================================================

[Config]
Protocol=TCP
ServerName=arbzi
Port=8002
Window=265,122,886,589
Visible=Yes
ButtonScanInterval=20
ClassInstance=0
NetworkTiming=5,1
MailslotTiming=2000,1000
PollInterval=2000
Port2=9002
ResponseTime=18
ApplicationDelay=0
TCPcoalesce=No
WaitForNewData=500
MaxSendQ=100
OnMaxSendQ=Log
NewSendScanTime=50
Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------
[User]
Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

FSIUPC4.DLL v4.5.7

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.57] *********
Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)
Date (dmy): 13/01/10, Time 18:35:59.486: Server name is ARBZI
    15969 Initialising TCP/IP server
    15985 Initialising IPX/SPX server
    16000 ServerNode=0.0.4352.4312.19911
    16000 Initialising UDP/IP server
    16000 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

Ini File:

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=4570
History=CBXHAJKL5SW5QA3TSUO9M
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
AxisIntercepts=No
DontResetAxes=No
WeatherReadFactor=2
WeatherRewriteSeconds=1
CustomWeatherModify=No
SimConnectStallTime=1

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=USB Game Controllers

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes
AdvertiseService=1
Port=8002
Port2=9002

For your information: With "not responding" i mean that the complete fsx application is freezing.

WideClient Version is 6.78

1750Okay, IP Address = 192.168.220.117

2640 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

That IP address doesn't look right for a Local Network -- that's an Internet address. Something is configured incorrectly on your Network.

Instead of using:

ServerName=arbzi

in your WideClient INI file try using the actual IP address of your FSX PC instead.

Incidentally, why did you add the Protocol and serverName parameters to the INI in the first place? Are you running the two PCs in different workgroups?

For your information: With "not responding" i mean that the complete fsx application is freezing.

I understood that. but WideClient isn't actually connecting, as they log shows. Something in Windows is causing the problem -- and that IP address Windows appears to be supplying for your FSX PC looks like a symptom. I suspect it is something to do with protection being applied, probably in your router? Are the two connected via your router?

Unfortunately you didn't provide probably the most important Log file, the wideServer log file from the FSX Modules folder. Maybe there's a further clue there? I didn't ask for the INI files.

Regards

Pete

The Network address is correct, its an local class B address, the PCs are connected via my router, other applications like windows file & printer shares are working normally.

I provided the log file WideServer its the following:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.57] *********
Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)
Date (dmy): 13/01/10, Time 18:35:59.486: Server name is ARBZI
    15969 Initialising TCP/IP server
    16000 Initialising UDP/IP server
    16000 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

There are no other applications started, only fsx and wideclient at the remote computer.

Sorry, it was the FSUIPC4.LOG I asked for which was missing. I was going by your titles, one of which is incorrect.

The Network address is correct, its an local class B address, the PCs are connected via my router, other applications like windows file & printer shares are working normally.

Okay. Yes, the 192.168 part are okay, it was the 220 in the third part which looked odd.

It is interesting that you have the IPX/SPX protocol installed, as shown by this:

I've not seen anyone with that installed since Windows 98 days. Are you using that prootocl for anything? What version of Windows are you using? I'm wondering, as that is the only difference, if it is that installed protocol which is causing the lock up, somehow?

Both the Client and server log show nothing ever connects, so if something is hanging it is down in the windows networking someplace. There certainly something wrong. The networking code in wideFS is basic stuff lifted straight from Microsoft examples and has worked fine now for 12 years. Since the problem is occurring before any connection to my part of the code occurs I don't think I can help much more. You need someone who knows about networks -- in fact it sounds like you know more about them than I. And the symptom you are getting has never occurred to my knowledge in the 11 or more years of WideFS so I'm completely mystified.

You might be able you get more information from either end by changing or setting the Log parameter in the WideClient.INI file and the WideServer section of the FSUIPC4.INI file to "Log=DebugAll". Normally this would produce a horrendously large log, but since there's no connection, and the attempt looks like it lasts less than a couple of seconds, I expect it will be quite short.

You never explained why you added the Protocol and ServerName parameters to the WideClient.INI file.

Regards

Pete

I done it because the server and client are not in the same windows workgroup.

Intentionally?

Any answers to the other questions? What windows? Why IPX/SPX? Maybe logs with DebugAll set? An FSUIPC4.LOG file?

I must admit to being a little concerned as to whether IPX/SPX works properly in WinXP or later. Microsoft have not paid attention to that protocol for a long time. If you are not actually using it I'd try uninstalling it. Conversely, if you are using it for something, or at least once you confirm which version of windows you are using, I could try installing it here.

Pete

The IPX/SPX protocol is not installed on this machines.

Please double check that, as WideServer was certainly able to initialise an IPX/SPX listening service, and without the protocol installed that would fail. here's a typical example of such a failure:

15391 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15391 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

15391 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

I really think it is impossible for the IPX/SPX service to be successfully initialised without the IPX/SPX protocol installed.

Nevertheless, now I know you are using XP Pro I will try installing IPX/SPX on my XP Pro PC here and see if that causes problems for WideServer.

Regards

Pete

Nevertheless, now I know you are using XP Pro I will try installing IPX/SPX on my XP Pro PC here and see if that causes problems for WideServer.

I've installed IPX/SPX, and tested FSUIPC4, and I'm afraid it doesn't look as simple as a mere protocol installed. Here's part of my WideServer log:

15344 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15344 ServerNode=0.0.5888.11825.50672

15344 Initialising UDP/IP server

16188 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

700109 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=6672) TCP

700281 Connected to computer "LEFT" running WideClient version 6.791 (skt=6672) TCP

So we must look elsewhere.

One other possibility I just thought of is that SimConnect might be hanging because somehow it's use of TCP/IP is conflicting with that of WideFS. Do you have a "SimConnect.xml" file in the folder where the FSX.CFG file resides (check the FSUIPC4 Install log if you are not sure where to look). You would need to make sure that the parameters provided to Simconnect do not tell it to listen on the same Ports as WideServer -- 8002 and 9002 by default.

Regards

Pete

I get it working now, by using IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP.

Now it works perfectly.

Good. but it is indicative of some clash with TCP/IP -- probably one of the ports being used by SimConnect is causing it to receive the initial data from WideClient, when it tries to connect, and it crashes/hangs FSX trying to figure it out. I don't think SimConnect's protocols are particularly resilient, unlike WideFS's. (I come from an engineering test programming background, 1963-1979, and always assume there will be errors in data and faults in hardware! ;-) ).

Regards

Pete