The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 and PM Instructor Panel

Hi,

I have installed PM Instructor Panel on my three computor network and everything seems to work ok except the Quick Set Minima buttons. PM tell me that it is an FSUIPC4/WideFS issue. As a retired airline pilot, I am fascinated with what has been achieved with FS by people like you, however, I am not very well up on computers so could you advise as as to what settings are required on the Server, the instructor Panel Client and the Visuals Client computers in order to get this last upgrade to work? Mind you, I am looking at installing a cueing motion system and some kind of an ATC system!!

Regards,

Tom McBennett.

Hi,

I have installed PM Instructor Panel on my three computor network and everything seems to work ok except the Quick Set Minima buttons. PM tell me that it is an FSUIPC4/WideFS issue. As a retired airline pilot, I am fascinated with what has been achieved with FS by people like you, however, I am not very well up on computers so could you advise as as to what settings are required on the Server, the instructor Panel Client and the Visuals Client computers in order to get this last upgrade to work?

Sorry, what is the "Quick Set Minima" button? What is it supposed to do?

I don't like bouncing folks back and forth between two suppliers, but I would need a lot more information to help than "it is an FSUIPC4/WideFS issue"! No one from PM has asked me about such a button -- I've never heard of it, nor any problem with anything from PM. So please do go back to them and ask them to explain, or even contact me rather than push customers off with no help whatsoever.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

They are seven buttons on the ENVIRONMENT page of the Instructor panel which allow you to directly set landing/takeoff minima weather!

Actually I now find that the PM instructor Panel Client computer is not communicating with the Visuals (client) computer; if I bring up a visual window on the Server (panels) computer, the requested weather conditions are set. So it is my computer illiteracy that is the problem I think, as I have obviously not loaded or set some correctly in the Visuals computer so that it can receive the weather settings. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the quick reply,

Tom.

They are seven buttons on the ENVIRONMENT page of the Instructor panel which allow you to directly set landing/takeoff minima weather!

Okay. Hopefully, for FSX, the PM code uses the "global" weather mode in FSX for best control. I implemented that feature specifically for Instructor implementations.

Actually I now find that the PM instructor Panel Client computer is not communicating with the Visuals (client) computer; if I bring up a visual window on the Server (panels) computer, the requested weather conditions are set. So it is my computer illiteracy that is the problem I think, as I have obviously not loaded or set some correctly in the Visuals computer so that it can receive the weather settings. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I assume you have subscribed to WideFS, enabled it in the FSX PC, and you are running WideClient in the Networked PC? I'm sure the PM documentation does tell you all about setting up WideFS, along with pretty pictures if I remember correctly?

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

I have solved my problem; it was basically my inability to understand the instructions for the settings in WideView on the Server PC. By using the trial and error method, I eventually got it right. I had the same problem with my first wife many years ago - never did get it right there though!! Now for my next project, which is to find a good ATC system!

Just one more question; should I be able to get the gear to lower/retract and the flaps to extend/retract on the Client PC's in response to the selections on the Server PC?

Best regards and thank you,

Tom.

I have solved my problem; it was basically my inability to understand the instructions for the settings in WideView on the Server PC.

Do you mean WideFS? PM doesn't use WidevieW. That is a program for linking multiple copies of FS running on different PCs, with the clients used to provide more scenery views.

By using the trial and error method, I eventually got it right.

For WideFS there really shouldn't be any settings necessary -- only enabling it on the Server and running WideClient on the clients. Depending on versions of Windows and your WorkGroup names you might have had to put the ServerName and Protocol details in the client parameters, but there's nothing to set or change on the Server. So what was the problem and what did you have to change?

Now for my next project, which is to find a good ATC system!

If you don't fly on-line then I'd recommend Radar Contact. I've used it for many years and it is excellent. With the free SuperATC program from ItsYourPlane it is even better now, as you can use spoken commands and responses.

Just one more question; should I be able to get the gear to lower/retract and the flaps to extend/retract on the Client PC's in response to the selections on the Server PC?

There are no flaps nor gear on a WideFS Client. The only thing with gear and flaps is the aircraft in flight simulator, and that's running on the Server.

If you are instead asking whether you can use joystick buttons or keypresses on the client PC to operate things on FS on the Server, then, yes, of course. Best with buttons -- FSUIPC's Buttons tab will recognise any types of buttons on normal joystick devices, and GoFlight modules, connected to the client. For keypresses you have to do some modifications to the Client INI, as described in the documentation. It is more usual, and easier, to get keypresses sent to client programs when operating buttons or keypresses on the Server. You use KeySend for that.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm afraid I Spoke too soon as the PM Instructor Panel is once again causing problems. I intend getting someone who knows his way around computers to read your posts and then go through my system and see where I have gone wrong. If that doesn't work he can at least talk intelligently to you about it. I am away for a few days now, but when I get back, and have the PM problem solved, I will look at Radar Contact.

Best regards,

Tom.

I'm afraid I Spoke too soon as the PM Instructor Panel is once again causing problems. I intend getting someone who knows his way around computers to read your posts and then go through my system and see where I have gone wrong. If that doesn't work he can at least talk intelligently to you about it

Since at present we have no idea whether the problem is in your Network or in PM Instructor, the first thing to do is find and show the WideServer and WideClient log files. They will tell me if there's a Network problem. If there is not, you'd need to talk to PM support, not me.

Of course, I am assuming your FS installation is okay too. Perhaps I would also need to see your FSUIPC log to check that too.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete,

As I mentioned, I'm away from the sim until early next week; in any event I wouldn't know how to locate the files that you have mentioned nor indeed how to transfer them to this forum - that's how dim I am! So, when I get back I will get someone who knows how to do these things to help me out and I will get them to you.

Regards,

Tom.

As I mentioned, I'm away from the sim until early next week; in any event I wouldn't know how to locate the files that you have mentioned nor indeed how to transfer them to this forum

It really is not hard. I'm sure you are over-emphasing your incompetence. The WideClient.log file will be in the same folder as WideClient, so look wherever you put that. The WideServer and FSUIPC logs are in the FS Modules folder, the same place as FSUIPC. These things aren't spread around or hidden.

To put text into a message here you simply load it into a text editor, like NotePad (which comes free with your Windows), and cut or copy, then paste it into your message here. If you don't know how to cut and paste I must refer you to Windows help in general.

All this is much easier than learning to fly an aircraft, and as you appear to be a PM user which is all fairly advanced stuff, I cannot believe you don't understand anything as easy as files, folders and editing! :roll:

Regards

Pete

Hello again Pete,

I have solved my PM insructor problem; it was just a matter of checking the correct boxes in WideView Weather Page on the Server and having a little patience as it takes about a minute for the information to get from the PM Client to the Server and then to the Visuals Client PC. All is working fine now, thank you!

As regards the ATC system I am trying to find a solution to one of two problems that has dogged FFS's (Full Flight Simulators) for a long time; they are the lack of an ATC system and the capabilities of the motion platforms. I have already tried COMM 1 Clearances which is a total waste of time. I now have Radar Contact, so I'll try that. My feeling is that a voice recognition program along the lines that Adacel are developing, is the only solution.

Regards,

Tom.

I have solved my PM insructor problem;

That's good!

it was just a matter of checking the correct boxes in WideView Weather Page on the Server and having a little patience as it takes about a minute for the information to get from the PM Client to the Server and then to the Visuals Client PC. All is working fine now, thank you!

Ah. I know absolutely nothing about WidevieW these days. Last time I used that was with FS98 I believe. It was all rather different back then. You do realise it isn't anything to do with my programs, I assume?

As regards the ATC system I am trying to find a solution to one of two problems that has dogged FFS's (Full Flight Simulators) for a long time; they are the lack of an ATC system and the capabilities of the motion platforms. I have already tried COMM 1 Clearances which is a total waste of time. I now have Radar Contact, so I'll try that. My feeling is that a voice recognition program along the lines that Adacel are developing, is the only solution.

The free program "SuperATC" can be use to recognise ATC commands/response to Radar Contact. It uses Microsoft's speech Recognition.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, I do realize that it had nothing to do with your programs, however I thought you might like to know where the problem lay. I was trying to send you a picture or a clip of my setup but I can't find a way of transferring it to the forum. I will let you know how I get on with radar contact and eventually SuperATC.

Regards, Tom

Hi Pete,

Just to let you know that everything is working perfectly now. i have just installed a D-Box motion system and the guy where I bought it, recommended that I should try an ATC system called "Vox atc". I tested the trial version and was very impressed so I have now installed the full version and it really is the "Bees Knees" and does everything that I was looking for and much more. I highly recommend it for qualified or aspiring real life pilots who want to learn and/or practice their R/T or IFR procedures.

Best regards,

Tom.

Just to let you know that everything is working perfectly now. i have just installed a D-Box motion system and the guy where I bought it, recommended that I should try an ATC system called "Vox atc".

Souinds like Bob Sidwick of RC Simulations, down in Bristol? I've known him for many years, at least as far back as FS4 days. ;-)

Those DBox systems are expensive, aren't they? Okay for GA I think, but I couldn't get my 2000 lb 5' x 7' 737 cockpit onto one! And even if I did I wouldn't trust it not to fall through the floor destroying my dining room below! ;-)

Good flying!

Pete