The simFlight Network Forums

Flaps calibration snags

I have set out to change flap usage from button clicks to using an axis. I have calibrated a number of planes, but I have noticed a few snags with the software. I am using ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring, in case it makes a difference.

The first problem happened after I calibrated the flaps for one plane, ended the session, changed planes and went back to calibrate the flaps for this new plane. Selecting page 6 of the joystick calibration already showed some settings, with the axis reversed, as I had left that on the previous plane. At this point, the Aircraft Specific flag was unchecked.

The first thing I did was hit Reset and then set the AC Specific flag. I clicked Set and found the default values 0 and 16380 under the 2 Set buttons and the Rev box was checked. This is the first snag. The Rev box is checked, but the values read from the axis are not reversed. Unchecking and then checking the Rev box fixes this, but is confusing.

I set up the detents and clicked OK. Testing the flaps I noticed that I forgot to leave a gap at the top end, so the Flaps did not always go all the way up. So I went to page 6, adjusted the lever and clicked Set, then OK. This change was not written to the INI file. A bit of experimenting showed that no changes to flap calibrations are written to the INI file unless the Reset button is used and all settings are recalibrated.

I am using 4.57

The first thing I did was hit Reset and then set the AC Specific flag. I clicked Set and found the default values 0 and 16380 under the 2 Set buttons and the Rev box was checked. This is the first snag. The Rev box is checked, but the values read from the axis are not reversed. Unchecking and then checking the Rev box fixes this, but is confusing.

Hmm. Strange. I'll check into that.

I set up the detents and clicked OK. Testing the flaps I noticed that I forgot to leave a gap at the top end, so the Flaps did not always go all the way up. So I went to page 6, adjusted the lever and clicked Set, then OK. This change was not written to the INI file. A bit of experimenting showed that no changes to flap calibrations are written to the INI file unless the Reset button is used and all settings are recalibrated.

Really? That is really wacky! I'll look into it. Thanks.

Regards

Pete

I have set out to change flap usage from button clicks to using an axis. I have calibrated a number of planes, but I have noticed a few snags with the software.

I am using 4.57

Right. I've found and fixed both "snags". These were both very long-standing bugs and I'm surprised no one's reported them before. They apply to FSUIPC3 too.

I've uploaded the fixed versions (3.964 and 4.575) to the "Updates and other goodies" announcement above. These are the changes noted for your snags:

7. A confusing cosmetic problem in the Joystick calibration options dialogue is fixed. The "REV" and "Filter" check boxes were not being cleared when the calibration of a control was Rest, so next time you tried to "Set" the same control, they could appear to indicate the Reverse or Filter action was enabled even though it wasn't, having been reset.

8. A long-standing error in the Options has been fixed. Amending only the Flaps detente calibrations, and nothing else in the Joysticks tab of the options, was not taken note of on exit and so the INI file was not correctly updated.

Thank you very much for your clear and concise description of the problems.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you very much for your clear and concise description of the problems.

From one old programmer to another, you are welcome. I actually grabbed the fixes as soon as you posted them, but I have been so busy configuring my planes that I had not been back since. Thanks for the quick fixes. :)

Attila