The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Newbie USB interface

Hi

I am very new to this and I please need some help understanding a few things so that I can actually get started using FSUIPC with my PIC18F4550 microcontroller.

I do not understand the following things (probably not too complicated but dont know where to start).

I have a USB enabled microcontroller with a graphic 128x64 dot matrix display, connected to com10 on my PC. I can write to this display directly using windows teminal and specifying COM10 and the comms parameters....no problem

OK, how do I interact with FSUIPC?, how does the program know about my com10 port?, how do I display on the graphic display the radio frequency on the King radio in a Cessna for instance?

I am having trouble understanding from a basic level, how to get data and display it on my display. Do I write F/W that interrogates the FSUIPC program? or does the program send data out of the USB port all the time?

I am sorry to be so vague but when I learn how to do this I can build my own simulator based on my USB microcontroller......Please help!!

Best regards

Ash

OK, how do I interact with FSUIPC?, how does the program know about my com10 port?, how do I display on the graphic display the radio frequency on the King radio in a Cessna for instance?

You are mistaking FSUIPC for a hardware driver. It isn't and has never been such an animal. it is a module which runs inside FS and opens an interface for programmers to access FS internals. They do this by writing programs to do so. if you want to drive a serial port connected display you need to write a program. The FSUIPC SDK provides the interface information you need.

Alternatively you could look at using one of the proprietary interface cards now available which come with their own drivers interfacing to FSUIPC and which are configurable using parameters or scripts.

Regards

Pete