The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS for SQuawkbox 4 on FSX

Hello All,

Just wanted to take a minute and ask a few questions. I have been using FSUIPC since FS2002 days, the software is wonderful. I just purchased WideFS over the weekend and begain to play around. The install went great. I have a server and 2 client PC's talking to each other and all logs are showing just fine.. Here is My problem...UGH I have tryed just about everything possible to setup squawkbox 4 on a client PC. No go!! I would really like to use WideFS for this task instead of simconnect.. Why?? well thats simple.. It is to my belief that Mr. Dowson's modules are far better and much more stable then anything that Microsoft can write (( hat's off to you Peter :-) )))) Anyway no matter what I do when I lauch Squawkbox on the client I get the same message time and time again .. Flight simulator must be running to launch SB, please check that it is and try again.... It's making me MAD!! So if anyone has been able to get this to work via editing a command line in WideFS or any other tricks I would greatly appreciate their help. I am posting here because I have not had much luck anywhere else and I am sure someone got this to workI am running FSX with FSUIPC 4.5.7 and WideFS 6.78 ...Thankyou :-)

Chris Scarcelle

I have tryed just about everything possible to setup squawkbox 4 on a client PC. No go!! I would really like to use WideFS for this task instead of simconnect.

I'm afraid Squawkbox 4 only uses SimConnect when connecting to FSX. I've a feeling there's no choice, even though it can use FSUIPC on FS9 and before, because it also has modules running inside FS, and the FSX versions presumably won't handle the interaction with the remote SB4 via WideFS.

This is my understanding, in any case, but you'd probably learn more about it all on the SB Forum.

http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&

I was going to learn about on-line flying with SB4, but found that since doesn't use FSUIPC it also doesn't provide any way to operate the Transponder modes from a hardware transponder. I have requested facilities to be added to allow this (it only needs a mode switch and an Ident), as I'm sure they can be done in the same way as the PTT -- with support added to FSUIPC4 and WideFS for these actions -- but I've had no positive response at all, and in fact no response from the developers despite occasional emails to them, for over a year now. I assume they've given up on SB development.

FSInn has been recommended to me, and that does have the facilities needed, but I've read the occasional things about that, too, which put me off. It seems pretty good on FS9 but some say flakey on FSX?

Regards

Pete

Those Bums :-) J/K Thankyou for your response Peter I greatly appreciate all that you do to support your awesome products with such quick responses.. I guess I will try some of the other software that will allow me to connect to Vatsim

Stay Well

Chris

Those Bums :-) J/K Thankyou for your response Peter I greatly appreciate all that you do to support your awesome products with such quick responses.. I guess I will try some of the other software that will allow me to connect to Vatsim

I don't think FSInn uses FSUIPC either. They use their own module called FScopilot. I think to use it on a network you have it installed and running on both PCs and it talks to itself, so to speak. ;-)

Again I'm talking from only what I think I picked up after a brief look.

Pete