The simFlight Network Forums

GF-Display Compatible with XPUIPC?

Hi Pete,

I'm not sure whom I should ask this question, but since it concerns GF-Display I thought I would start with you.

I'm setting up my simulator to run both FS2004 and X-Plane. There is a plug-in available for X-Plane called XPUIPC which is suppose to provide access to offsets in the same manner as FSUIPC. Since the offsets appear to be the same (middle marker = 0BAE in both plug-ins) and my understanding is that XPUIPC was written to allow some measure of compatibility for MSFS addons, I was wondering if you know if GF-Display would be compatible with XPUIPC?

I have developed some rather elaborate displays using GoFlight hardware, FSUIPC and GF-Display and I would like to leveage this with X-Plane.

Best Regards,

Phil

Hi Pete,

I did finally get around to testing GFdisplay with XPUIPC (I was in the middle of building a new computer for the simulator when I asked you and so I was unable to test until now). I thought you might be interested in knowing that GFdisplay does indeed work with XPUIPC both locally on the host computer and remotely on a client. However, X-Plane does not appear to recognize GoFlight modules as a joystick and so you cannot write to an offset to XPUIPC using the GoFlight controls. It appears for the moment that the only way to use the buttons and rotaries are with the GoFlight Plugin which limits how the modules can be configured.

Also something a little strange, when one changes the aircraft on the host computer, the GoFlight displays which are directly attached go blank and you need to quit X-Plane and restart to get them to display again (using GFdisplay). That does not however appear to be the case for a client with GFdisplay - it countinues to display without issue.

Best Regards,

Phil

I did finally get around to testing GFdisplay with XPUIPC (I was in the middle of building a new computer for the simulator when I asked you and so I was unable to test until now). I thought you might be interested in knowing that GFdisplay does indeed work with XPUIPC both locally on the host computer and remotely on a client.

Not surprising if XFSUIPC emulates FSUIPC well enough.

However, X-Plane does not appear to recognize GoFlight modules as a joystick and so you cannot write to an offset to XPUIPC using the GoFlight controls

I'm not surprised -- it would need the author to write a button assignment interface using GFDev.DLL.

It appears for the moment that the only way to use the buttons and rotaries are with the GoFlight Plugin

Ah, so there is a plug-in for it! But presumably not used by XFSUIPC. As it owns the offsets it would have to be acting on the buttons to allow it to change offsets, wouldn't it?

Also something a little strange, when one changes the aircraft on the host computer, the GoFlight displays which are directly attached go blank and you need to quit X-Plane and restart to get them to display again (using GFdisplay). That does not however appear to be the case for a client with GFdisplay - it countinues to display without issue.

Sounds like a function of the GoFlight plug-in, then, else what could be interfering? Have you tested it without the GoFlight plug-in?

I'm afraid I'm not really able to help with X-Plane stuff. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, I understand. I wasn't looking for any additional support. I'm thinking that GFdisplay will work for some of the things that I was doing in MSFS (DME, various indicators and such) and you've done some great work in developing it - I appreciate that. I just thought you might find it interesting (and maybe useful) that your utility has applications outside of MSFS.

Best Regards,

Phil