The simFlight Network Forums

SAITEK Throttle Quadrant Calibration

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm usging FSX SP2, W7 64, Saitek throttle latest driver and a registered version of FSUIPC. I'm having a lot of problems with my single Saitek throttle quadrant. In fact I took one back and exchanged it for another but I get the same problems so it's must not be a hardware issue but rather a setting in the FSX. Windows 7 shows that it is calibrated correctly and so does the Saitek test software. Here is the problem: The throttles, when assigned to each engine (3 total), do not move the entire range. If I press F4 then the throttle within FSX moves full power but I can't achieve that by moving the Saitek throttle levers to the full power postion. Same thing with closing the throttles, I can do it by pressing F1 but when I close my Saitek throttles they are still on about 30%. I downloaed FSUIPC and purchased a registration and thought I calibrated the Saitek throttles but I have the same problem. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you!!!! I should also add that Im using the CH yoke with the throttle on the top of the yoke although I don't use that throttle anymore and it is closed. It does work fine though. I doubt it matters but just in case.

Danny

Here is the problem: The throttles, when assigned to each engine (3 total), do not move the entire range. If I press F4 then the throttle within FSX moves full power but I can't achieve that by moving the Saitek throttle levers to the full power postion.

It sounds like you have the sensitivity slider in FS set incorrectly. Go into the FS Options-Settings-Controls menu, seelct "simple controls" and adjust the two sliders. The null zone should normally be at minimum (left-most) and the sensitivity at maximum (right-most). The latter is especially important if you want to use the full range. A lower than full sensitivity actually reduces the values coming in from your joystick.

I downloaed FSUIPC and purchased a registration and thought I calibrated the Saitek throttles but I have the same problem.

The documentation for FSUIPC also advises the above FS settings first (unless you are assigning in FSUIPC instead of FS, which it doesn't sound like you are). Notwithstanding that, if you had calibrated the throttles in FSUIPC as documented then you would certainly have achieved the full FS range. The actual end effect then of a lower sensitivity is that you would have less positions on your throttle axis giving unique throttle settings, so even with FSUIPC you should use maximum FS sensitivity unless you assign in FSUIPC so bypassing those sliders.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete! I'll give it a try when I return home from my business trip. I really hope this fixes the problem. I didn't do a good job of finding the instructions for your FSUIPC calibration instructions. Once I find them I'll try to follow them exactly. Your program looks amazing and way over my head not that I'm very technical or anything. Everyone has been telling me that their Saitek throttles work perfectly right out of the box so I must be doing something wrong. I'll report back on the weekend if not tomorrow. it's top priority for me!

I didn't do a good job of finding the instructions for your FSUIPC calibration instructions. Once I find them I'll try to follow them exactly.

I don't understand why you could have such difficulties. Try first looking at the List of Contents on page 2 of the User Guide. About 2/3rds of the way down you wil see a section named "Joystick Calibration", which you'd surely find relevant (?), and it also gives the page number. Start there, on that specified page. After the introductory chat (which does contain important information, such as that which I've advised you here), there's a series of numbered steps. Follow them.

It really isn't intended to be so obscure that you cannot find it. I thought by having page numbers and explicit section titles any one should be able to find things, at least if they've ever looked anything up in a book before. Can you explain why you found it so hard, please, and I'll see whether I can do better?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you again for your help. After a closer read of your user manual and making the sensativity and null zone adjustments I was able to calibrate my joystick. Actually I had to use your calibration portion of FSUIPC to make it work. I don't understand how people with the Saitek throttle quadrant can even use them without your software. Your instructions are very well written and you obviously take a lot of pride in what you designed and your writting of the manal. To be honest most of FSUIPC is totally beyond my comprehension as I'm not as computer saavy as your software is complex and I'm sure briliant. Just the fact that it got my throttle working is awesome. Thanks again Pete.

Danny