The simFlight Network Forums

Make Runways - suggestion fo new version

Hello Pete,

First of all I like to say that the new version of Make Runways runs excellent. The main question is now, whether there is any longer the need for remaining compatible to FS editions older than FS9. May I suggest that in future versions the XML file will contain the original runway surfaces instead of a partly reduced mapping to similar ones which are downwardly compatible? :roll:

There is just one difference left between FS9 and FSX which might be solved by knowing (and selecting) the target system: It is the handling of the surface code 0002h which is interpreted by FS9 as GRASS and in FSX it seems to be CEMENT. However, I believe that this code is only relevant for AFCAD2 files using UNKNOWN2 in order to describe the surface.

I would be highly pleased if you could follow my suggestion.

First of all I like to say that the new version of Make Runways runs excellent. The main question is now, whether there is any longer the need for remaining compatible to FS editions older than FS9. May I suggest that in future versions the XML file will contain the original runway surfaces instead of a partly reduced mapping to similar ones which are downwardly compatible?

I've had another look at the code and I can probably change the XML output (only) without too much trouble.

One trouble is that I've rather bemused by this statement of yours, because nothing you say relates to any information I have:

There is just one difference left between FS9 and FSX which might be solved by knowing (and selecting) the target system: It is the handling of the surface code 0002h which is interpreted by FS9 as GRASS and in FSX it seems to be CEMENT. However, I believe that this code is only relevant for AFCAD2 files using UNKNOWN2 in order to describe the surface.

In my lists, code 2 is most definitely equated to Water, and isn't unknown.

These are the extra entries you might get in the XML file if I make the changes I'm looking at:

• 7 "clay" (instead of "dirt")
    9 "ice" (instead of "snow")
    17 "bituminous" (instead of "asphalt")
    19 "macadam" (instead of "asphalt")
    21 "sand" (instead of "gravel")
    22 "shale" (instead of "gravel")
    23 "tarmac" (instead of "asphalt")

You see this if you refer back to our earlier discussions:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=77144&p=471298

[LATER]

Okay. Being eager to get on with other work I need to do, I've completed the change I proposed. Please use MakeRunways 4.42, now available in the Updates announcement.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pete,

Sorry for answering late. I'd been away for RL reasons - no time for fora at all. :(

However, I just downloaded the new version and will check it out during the weekend. My "code translator" is IDE and as it seems it is necessary to construct a test airport containing all possible runway surfaces. This has to be done by using a HEX editor finally in order to be sure about the used code.

Again my test airport build in FS9 with AFCAD2. I checked it later against ADE9X and found the different translation.

Hmm, a bit early for April Fool's Jokes. Of course you're right regarding h02, I meant h03 I'm afraid, sorry for the confusion.

EDIT (picture away - not needed)

Well, as it seems I have to test some more codes.... (fortunately the weather is terrible)

-------------

EDIT: It's always an advantage to read and to understand what's written :x

Pete, I missed to compare the codes which are now changed to the previous ones and against those known by the compiler (or better: SDK). Yes, those changes are all fine to me. No need for further tests from my side :D

-------------

EDIT 2:

Please forget about this one. I just trusted in a remark of someone else which was apparently not correct. I just made my own tests and both, FS9 and FSX are reacting exactly the same way when being confronted with non-SDK-compliant runway surface codes (allowed to be used by AFCAD2) as "h03", "h05", "h06", "h0A" and "h0B" which are shown as GRASS (first three) and CONCRETE (the last ones).