The simFlight Network Forums

PSS 777 and spoiler axis

Hi there,

I have everything just about perfect now with my Saitek Pro Yoke + 2 Saitek throttle quadrants. My one remaining problem is that my spoilers will not deploy automatically upon touchdown - not when I arm them with SHIFT-/, nor when I move the spoiler axis into the "Spoilers armed" position. I don't arm them until I'm on finals, after the gear is down and green and I have flaps 20 selected. I know there are problems arming the spoilers before you have the gear down, and I'm wondering if - during descent, when I'm using spoilers in flight - the cycling through the "spoilers armed" section is causing the issue. Thanks for your help.

FS9.1

FSUIPC 3.9.3.0

Windows XP SP2

- daniel, Toronto, on

My one remaining problem is that my spoilers will not deploy automatically upon touchdown - not when I arm them with SHIFT-/, nor when I move the spoiler axis into the "Spoilers armed" position. I don't arm them until I'm on finals, after the gear is down and green and I have flaps 20 selected. I know there are problems arming the spoilers before you have the gear down, and I'm wondering if - during descent, when I'm using spoilers in flight - the cycling through the "spoilers armed" section is causing the issue.

I'm not aware of any problems at all with spoiler auto-deployment. Are you testing with default or add-on aircraft? How have you programmed the spoiler on your equipment. If you are using a spoiler axis, maybe you've not claibrated it correctly to stay in the "armed" section when set and it overrides the other controls?

FSUIPC 3.9.3.0

That's out of date and unsupported now. Install 3.96 then get the latest updated DL from the Updates announcement above.

Regards

Pete

it's the Phoenix Simulations B777.

So you don't have a problem arming the spoiler in the default aircraft? If not, if it is something specific to this aircraft, then maybe they are doing their own thing there and have some other mechanism? Or possibly you are using an FSUIPC-calibrated spoiler axis but the PSS 777 locates the arm detente in a different position along the range of values?

Is there a way to skip the region on the spoiler axis where the spoilers arm?

Not really, and I'm not sure why or how it could help matters. Are you assigning a joystick axis for this, and if so where and how? Sorry if I sound confused, but you said "when I arm them with SHIFT-/, nor when I move the spoiler axis into the "Spoilers armed" position" which sort of implies you are using a keyboard or mouse for this.

You also said:

I don't arm them until I'm on finals, after the gear is down and green and I have flaps 20 selected. I know there are problems arming the spoilers before you have the gear down

which I don't understand either. The only problem I'm aware of with arming spoilers is if you try to do it on the ground, when the "on ground" flag would usually trigger the full deployment.

You go on to say:

and I'm wondering if - during descent, when I'm using spoilers in flight - the cycling through the "spoilers armed" section is causing the issue.

The "arm" detente or zone on the lever is not relevant if you are pulling it back into speedbrake use values, so I don't think that can be it. The "arm" state is only set in one area, one range of values of the axis.

Regards

Pete

You know, I just updated my FSUIPC using the new installer, and now all my settings are gone. It took me months to get them just right...

They won't have gone -- they're in your INI file, same as always. That is never deleted.

I can't even access the axis assign tab... it's all greyed out. It shows I'm registered, though. What's happened?

Sounds like your joystick timed out. The timeout was a little too strict -- please see the Updates announcement above. Just replace the DLL.

Regards

Pete

Apologies, you are correct. I had to reboot the computer, and I got them all back. (Even my weather controls were gone).

I'll keep playing with the spolier axis, and see what I come up with. There are a couple of different ones to choose from...

BTW, what is the difference between "Spoiler Set" and "Axis Spoiler Set"?

- daniel

Apologies, you are correct. I had to reboot the computer, and I got them all back. (Even my weather controls were gone).

There's a timeout in FSUIPC too, though. I'd still advise you to get the more recent version of FSUIPC available in the Updates announcement at the top of this Forum.

BTW, what is the difference between "Spoiler Set" and "Axis Spoiler Set"?

The first is the original control provided in FS since at least as far back as FSW95. All the "AXIS_ ..." ones were added by Microsoft in FS2000 or FS2002 (don't remember which now). The main difference is that the old ones operate from 0 (off or idle) to 16383, with negative values used for things like reverse thrust or prop pitch where applicable, whilst the new ones operate from -16383 for idle or off to +16383 for full on. In order for FSUIPC to provide reverse thrust on the throttles and reverse pitch on the props it uses the older non-axis controls.

For spoilers where's really no difference as far as you're concerned. Really, if you are assigning in FSUIPC you'd be better off assigning "direct to FSUIPC calibration" and by-passing all of the FS controls.

Regards

Pete

It seems as if the spoiler actually is deploying, only it does not show this on the throttle pedestal (the level remains in the spoiler's armed position). A little annoying, but trivial enough to overlook. Thanks for all the help...

It would be worthwhile reporting this to PSS though. I assumed you've checked for updates already?

Regards

Pete

Oh... PSS is way out of business now. They got frustrated with the community, their clients and state of piracy and packed it in - as far as I understand it. Too bad, as they were almost on par with PMDG and Level-D, although they never could quite seem to get things just right. The 777 is one of my favourite planes to fly, despite it's peccadilloes. They looked like they were making a comeback this year and had a website up for a while (or at least someone did), but it never happened. Too bad, but I suppose their reputation has probably been ruined now in the industry, and they sensed that.

In my opinion the 777 is one major update away from being on par with the best in the biz...

- daniel