The simFlight Network Forums

GPS Use

Hello. I have a registered copy of FSUIPC 4.53. I'm interested in purchasing an aviation GPS to use in real world flying (yes, it's finally time to buy one). I'd like to purchase a GPS unit that I could use with FSX for simming as well as in our club plane. I saw that the Garmin 496 will work with the GPS out data. Quick questions:

1. Is there a list of brand names and models that will accept the GPS data from FSX via FSUIPC as I'm not sure I have the budget for the 496?

2. Is the data only one way, or can the real GPS send programming data (like flight plans or direct to requests) to FSX via FSUIPC?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Regards. -- Dana

Hello. I have a registered copy of FSUIPC 4.53.

You need to update. As per the Announcements above the earliest supported version is 4.57, and there's 4.585 or later in the Updates announcement.

1. Is there a list of brand names and models that will accept the GPS data from FSX via FSUIPC as I'm not sure I have the budget for the 496?

No, sorry. There's no way of knowing until someone lets me know. With Garmin units I think they should be okay if they have the "Aviation" or "AV400" protocol listed as an Input. You probably also need Garmin's proprietary connecting cable, not just the one they use for downloading the charts etc. From other threads here I suspect any x96 model would do.

I've got two Garmin GPS's and neither can be used, but they aren't aviation or boating models specifically.

2. Is the data only one way, or can the real GPS send programming data (like flight plans or direct to requests) to FSX via FSUIPC?

No, it is only positional data. The GPSout facility is merely a facility for driving moving maps, normally on another PC --- probably a LapTop. The reason it is called "GPSout" is that it emulates the positional output capabilities of a real GPS, just as if that GPS were fitted inside your FS airplane. The connection to a moving map is like doing that with your real GPS in your real plane, having it feed a laptop on your copilot seat, for instance. It amazed me when folks started connecting it to real GPS's (like connecting one GPS to another). The effect using a proper mapping program on a 10 or 12" laptop screen is much nicer. But if it works, well;-)

Regards

Pete

Thanks, Pete. New FSUIPC version...I'll grab it. And, I'll look for an aviation GPS that supports the AV400 data input (plenty of Garmin x96 or x95 units out there...maybe some research on the new Aera series, too). Just wish I could make a real handheld Garmin drive FSX instead of a GoFlight unit. And, I thought about a laptop to use in the club's 172, but I wanted something more rugged (handhelp wouldn't necessarily break into parts if dropped on the tarmac). Okay, thanks for your help with this. -- Dana