The simFlight Network Forums

Wide FS Compatible Programs

Hi, one more question. Is there a handy list of programs that are "compatible" with the wideFS software? In other words, what software can I run on a second PC to save some CPU sweat on my FSX PC?

Again, there's no way for me to know. But if a program runs as a separate process from FS, and interfaces exclusively to it via FSUIPC, with perhaps some relatively minor reference to its files, then it will probably work fine remotely via WideFS. It might need special treatment, by the user, though, if it needs a lot of access to FS's files. In such cases folder access via normal Explorer links between the PCs is needed on top of the WideFS link. Programs like FS Commander are like that, I think, though they may have provisions for you to pre-prepare files on the FS PC for transfer to the remote one for more efficiency. Flight Keeper is like that. You run a utility on the FS PC which creates the files, and it transfers them to your client PC. Same with Radar Contact.

Really you should work out what programs you want to use, research them a little, and perhaps ask specifically about those. I use quite a few and can advise with those, and there will be other users here who can also advise.

Regards

Pete

Hi, again, Pete. I was thinking about REX and VoxATC specifically to work on a separate machine. I also have thought about trying VATSIM (and having the software for that on a separate machine...which I understand would work). Okay, I'll do some homework. Thanks. -- Dana

I was thinking about REX and VoxATC specifically to work on a separate machine.

REX is predominantly a texture program. Once the textures are installed it isn't doing much, unless you are thinking of using its weather facilities instead of a dedicated program like ActiveSky. Does REX use FSUIPC for weather on FS9? I don't think it does in FSX. Generally I would expect you to have to install it on the FS PC because of all the texture manipulation involved.

VoxATC may run okay on a WideFS client. That's something you'll nee to check on their Forum or support site. I am a long-time Radar Contact user, not VoxATC.

I also have thought about trying VATSIM (and having the software for that on a separate machine...which I understand would work).

Yes, I think both the Squawkbox and FSInn/CoPilot options can be run from a client PC, albeit with dual installation (i.e. you have to install on the FS PC as well). But on FSX neither use FSUIPC so they aren't using WideFS. On FS9 and before, Squawkbox uses FSUIPC and WideFs if needed.

Regards

Pete

Pete - Thanks for the excellent (and speedy) feedback. I recently switched to using the REX weather utilities (have ASA on the machine, too). So, the thought was to move the weather "radar" to the second PC. I'll check with the REX people about that and let you know what I learn. Same with VoxATC (let me do some homework on that one, too). Okay, thanks again for the quick and complete reply. -- Dana