The simFlight Network Forums

What am I doing wrong?

Pete,

Me again. I have written what I thought was a simple Lua plug-in to easily tune a chosen radio by simple entering the last 4 digits of the frequency after selecting the appropriate radio from a displayed menu i.e. 1 - Com1, 2 - Com2, etc. I can get the menu to display, and even the second part to work were I am able to "write" the frequency to the radio (i.e. I replace the first line in the code "whichradio=1" or "2"... and it then writes the freq to the correct radio). The only part that does not work is selecting the appropriate radio. I have no idea what is wrong; the code logically makes sense to me. I have been trying various thing for the last day now with no headway. I do not know whom else to ask, so could I bug you one more time so you may give me a nudge in the right direction?

whichradio=ipc.ask("Select Radio to Tune:\n\n1 - Com 1\n2 - Com 2\n3 - Nav 1\n4 - Nav 2")

if whichradio==1 then
Freq = ipc.ask("Enter Com 1 Frequency\n 1**.**")
decimalval = tonumber(Freq,16)
ipc.writeUW("034E",decimalval)
ipc.display("Com 1 Tuned to\n 1"..n, 2)
end

if whichradio==2 then
Freq = ipc.ask("Enter Com 2 Frequency\n 1**.**")
ipc.writeUW("3118",decimalval)
ipc.display("Com 2 Tuned to\n 1"..Freq, 2)
end

---etc...

BTW, don't know were I can get a good book on Lua programming (Lua for Dummies)? This is getting addictive and I hate to be bothering you for your help, as I can appreciate that you are a busy person.

Jim

I can get the menu to display, and even the second part to work were I am able to "write" the frequency to the radio (i.e. I replace the first line in the code "whichradio=1" or "2"... and it then writes the freq to the correct radio). The only part that does not work is selecting the appropriate radio.

if whichradio==1 then

Freq = ipc.ask("Enter Com 1 Frequency\n 1**.**")

I think if you thought about it a little more you would relise that you really answered it yourself -- in the second case, the "tonumber".

In the line if whichradio==1 then the variable "whichradio" is a string -- ipc.ask returns a string, not a number. A string will never be equal to a number. You can USE a string as a number (Lua will automatically convert it for you), but comparisons don't do conversions. You have to compare like with like.

You can either do something like if whichradio == "1" then or, probably safer if tonumber(whichradio) == 1 then

BTW, don't know were I can get a good book on Lua programming (Lua for Dummies)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nosua&x=0&y=0

The first two -- "Programming in Lua (2nd Edn)" and the Reference Manual are pretty essential. I haven't got the "Beginning..." one, but it doesn't look like its a "Dummies" type book judging by the synopsis!

Regards

Pete