The simFlight Network Forums

joystick-card question

Hello,

I'm a first time poster. I use FSUIPC 4.57 on FS-X. I just ran into a problem. I have multiple joystick cards from opencockpits.

So far I only used one, but wanted to add a new card in order to get more buttons for my overhead panel. Now the problem is that fsuipc does not recognize that it's a different card. FSX it selves does not seam to have the same problem. I can assign different functions to the same button for each card there.

Do you have any solution for me ?

Kind Regards,

Gery

edited : updated to fsuipc 4.58, same problem there.

Now the problem is that fsuipc does not recognize that it's a different card. FSX it selves does not seam to have the same problem. I can assign different functions to the same button for each card there.

Sorry, I don't understand why it should need to recognise it "as a different card". You can have up to 16 joystick type devices. Provided it's ID number, assigned by windows, is within the first 16 then FSUIPC will see it.

Can you explain what you mean by " fsuipc does not recognize that it's a different card"? It will only look to be the same as another if it has the same assigned ID.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

I looked again a bit closer into this today. I must correct my statement about recognized as the same joycard.

But the situation is like this: I had one opencockpits joycard, it's recognized by fsuipc as joy#1. Now, if I add the second card, the firstcard becomes joy#0 and the new one joy#1. This means that the added card has all the assigned fs controls from the former joy#1, no matther i what order I plug in the cards the "new" one alway becomes joy#1. If I unplug the new one again the old card get's reassigned to joy#1. That was confusing me. Anyway it seames that I need to reassigne all fs controlls. It does not seame that I can decide which card will have which joy#ID. Maybe it's also worth mentioning that I have windows 7 64 bit. But I think Joysticks are treated the same way as in XP.

From fsuipc4.ini

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

2=CH PRO PEDALS USB

3=USB Game Controllers

0=IOCa?

1=IOCa?

Cheers,

Gery

I looked again a bit closer into this today. I must correct my statement about recognized as the same joycard.

But the situation is like this: I had one opencockpits joycard, it's recognized by fsuipc as joy#1. Now, if I add the second card, the firstcard becomes joy#0 and the new one joy#1. This means that the added card has all the assigned fs controls from the former joy#1, no matther i what order I plug in the cards the "new" one alway becomes joy#1. If I unplug the new one again the old card get's reassigned to joy#1. That was confusing me.

I'm not surprised! It would confuse me.

The joystick IDs are assigned by Windows. I guess that faced with two absolutely identical connecting bits of hardware it has difficulty maintaining correct assignments. I'm afraid that is all in Windows hands, not mine. With different devices, or same devices with different serial numbers in their USB idents, things are okay.

The FSUIPC facilities for using the names of joystick connections are also defeated I assume, as they will both have the same names!

Maybe it's also worth mentioning that I have windows 7 64 bit. But I think Joysticks are treated the same way as in XP.

Yes, but maybe the USB port scanning isn't quite the same. I don't know.

From fsuipc4.ini

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

2=CH PRO PEDALS USB

3=USB Game Controllers

0=IOCa?

1=IOCa?

Yes. Even if you assigned joystick letters, there's no way FSUIPC can tell the difference between "IOCa?" and "IOCa?". That's the real problem.

Can't you just leave them plugged in all the time? Or do they still swap on different boot-ups? Failing all else I should contact the card makers to see if they can supply chips for the boards with different identity strings.

Regards

Pete